House Price Crash Forum

Law Graduates And Managers Clamour For £6-An-Hour Butcher Job

they keep pumping out the GDP figures as proof we're not in recession............then you hear stuff like this and you do wonder whether to trust your eyes and ears or the ONS.

You cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Private business has known things have been going down the tube for a few years now.

You cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Private business has known things have been going down the tube for a few years now.

if you want to compete in a global market YOU need cheap rents, no cheap rents no work.

Edited by crash2006

Errr, if you want to keep getting benefits you apply fo jobs you know you will not get....

The JobCentre requires you to apply for three jobs a week to qualify for JSA, people just fire off a few emails a week.

Maybe the law graduates wanted to do something more worthwile than working for Claims Direct..... Then again, maybe not.

Yes, but it's only useless tossers like lawyers wanting to learn a useful skill like butchery. It's not like he's getting doctors, engineers or plumbers applying. ;)

Yes, but it's only useless tossers like lawyers wanting to learn a useful skill like butchery. It's not like he's getting doctors, engineers or plumbers applying. ;)

Good point.

The JobCentre requires you to apply for three jobs a week to qualify for JSA, people just fire off a few emails a week.

I have not applied for any job that the JC have printed out for me, they are happy with my own efforts. The JC are not so bad that they would force surveyors and solicitors to do a butchers apprenticeship, but if they did, and that's all they could offer, this story still paints a dreadful picture of the jobs market.

Errr, if you want to keep getting benefits you apply fo jobs you know you will not get....

+1 Agreed, but this is the kind of job, you would get!

I have not applied for any job that the JC have printed out for me, they are happy with my own efforts. The JC are not so bad that they would force surveyors and solicitors to do a butchers apprenticeship, but if they did, and that's all they could offer, this story still paints a dreadful picture of the jobs market.

Any job adverts they print out for you during a meeting or send you through the post they mark on their system as you having applied for them. Although unlikely (and 99% of the time for the scare factor) they like to say that they will check whether you have applied and you will be sanctioned if they find out you haven't.

Like Pond123 and Monger of Doom said, in a way it's easiest to send off an application destined straight for the bin to keep the jobcentre happy and tick all the boxes as required to continue getting benefit.

Any job adverts they print out for you during a meeting or send you through the post they mark on their system as you having applied for them. Although unlikely (and 99% of the time for the scare factor) they like to say that they will check whether you have applied and you will be sanctioned if they find out you haven't.

Like Pond123 and Monger of Doom said, in a way it's easiest to send off an application destined straight for the bin to keep the jobcentre happy and tick all the boxes as required to continue getting benefit.

I wonder why they don't check up on my independent efforts then? What's the difference?

Some of the jobs they print out are scams with premium rate phone numbers...

Edited by Tonkers

Yeah cos obviously you'll apply for a butching job (which you'll have to do if they offer it) rather than one at a solicitors which you actually want, just to claim your rock and roll.

Well known behaviour of people with law degrees that, sausage wrapping.

And this is news? At the warehouse I sometimes drive the fork lift at (yup got a job with no fixed hours just min of 10 a week). You will see a huge slice of society in old and gone white collar jobs.

Its odd because a lot of people on appearances look like they are doing OK are working there, the car park is filled with audis, BMWs etc of the min wage staff.... I'm supposed to be one of the better paid people there since I can drive the FLTs and I'm given 12p more an hour to compensate for the lack of set hours.

It used to be that way. The Job Centre doesn't follow up with employers anymore as it used to annoy them further when they had a 'Did Not Attend' wasting their interview tine. No longer the case, now it's upto the employer or job seeker to inform of a 'Job Offer' only then are they likely to get sanctioned.

IMO these kids are applying for these jobs hoping to get them and are not scamming the system. They are spotting a trend and that is more people are returning to the local butchers as supermarkets increase prices for dreadful quality cuts of meat. The butcher in my parents village drives a £60k Merc so an apprenticeship in this trade makes sense.

Yeah , good luck paying back that student loan on 6 pounds an hour.

Debt is wealth.

Good luck paying those pensions out wirh student debts at £6 an hour.

Good luck paying those pensions out wirh student debts at £6 an hour.

an AK47 barrel regularly jabbed between your shoulder blades should sort that out.

an AK47 barrel regularly jabbed between your shoulder blades should sort that out.

How, exactly?

All you've done is turned someone who can't pay into someone who si mortalyl afraid and can't pay?

Waving firearms around doesn'[t make the possible possible. You can't bully wealth, skills and a functioning economy into existence, they realy on an absence of bullying.

It used to be that way. The Job Centre doesn't follow up with employers anymore as it used to annoy them further when they had a 'Did Not Attend' wasting their interview tine. No longer the case, now it's upto the employer or job seeker to inform of a 'Job Offer' only then are they likely to get sanctioned.

IMO these kids are applying for these jobs hoping to get them and are not scamming the system. They are spotting a trend and that is more people are returning to the local butchers as supermarkets increase prices for dreadful quality cuts of meat. The butcher in my parents village drives a £60k Merc so an apprenticeship in this trade makes sense.

I was under the impression that employers sometimes still give them a list of who applied when they next get in touch with the jobcentre (rather than actively being chased about it or only reporting job offers). So jobseeker's only need to apply for jobs they'd actually want to accept if they got a job offer and no consequences otherwise? Makes that 200+ applicants figure a bit more impressive again.

Yeah , good luck paying back that student loan on 6 pounds an hour.

Debt is wealth.

At lot of people will never reach the earnings threshold to pay back their student loans.

At lot of people will never reach the earnings threshold to pay back their student loans.

Behave, is that like a lot of people will never reach the 40% tax bracket, The threshholds have fiscal drag written all over them