House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Drivers Face £80 Fine For Littering

So motorists might face £80 fines if they, or any of their passengers, throw rubbish from their cars. Good, and about time.

Under the new law, if it comes into being, unless drivers are willing to identify the culprit they will have to pay the fine, even if they were not aware litter had been dropped as they were driving. Refuse and they could face court, with a potential fine of up to £2,500.

It is a pet hate of mine seeing car drivers sneakily wind down their window and nonchalantly tickle litter from their fingers into the breeze. Or snotty-faced brats hurling rubbish from the car as it tears down the motorway.

Because the accumulative effect of that sweet wrapper or cigarette packet cellophane tossed without a care in the world is the impression that we just don't worry about how our surroundings look or our impact on the environment.

I'm not getting all warm and fuzzy with the Greens here, it's just such a simple thing to remedy but strangely takes a lot of education. Because if mum and dad chuck anything at all out the window without a second's thought, then the kids will naturally follow suit.

But if they're caught doing it and the driver of the car is hit with a hefty £80 fine then maybe, just maybe, they might think again. In some areas, motorists are estimated to be responsible for 70% of the overall 2 million pieces of litter dropped in Britain every day.

And that mess doesn't come cheaply as it costs our councils around £850 million annually to keep our streets clean. It doesn't make sense to be whingeing about our local authorities cutting services because of the lack of money when many people are contributing unnecessarily to that financial burden by trashing the place.

No doubt there'll be some people bleating about being shown littering on CCTV as some sort of human rights infringement but I have a simple take on it.

Act like a pig and you'll pay the price.

Same story, different flavour: link

Oh wonderful, yet another upcoming punitive tax. At least they won't be able to pin littering on the bikers, or at least hopefully not.

I do hate litter though. Britain is mostly a nice country, and seeing McBloat bags on lovely countryside roads does p1ss me off, as it does you I'm sure.

Will this count for dog owners who like to leave sh1t all over the place? Will there be a tattle-tail free phone number for the carrier bag Stasi?

How about an £80 tax on those bloody chinese lanterns.

I go for walks in a local forest and there's dozens of the things hanging from trees.

Supposedly theyre bio degradable. God knows how long that takes. ive seen them stuck in tree branches for the best part of a year, by which time more have amassed anyway.

How about an £80 tax on those bloody chinese lanterns.

I go for walks in a local forest and there's dozens of the things hanging from trees.

Supposedly theyre bio degradable. God knows how long that takes. ive seen them stuck in tree branches for the best part of a year, by which time more have amassed anyway.

They are neat when you set them off on a nice evening, but yes, if they are landing in the trees.... Not sure how that is legal actually, I mean to set off an open flame in such a manner.

Although a bit of coloured paper on a tree is better than one pasted with carrier bags.

It's all awful actually.

Guest eight

Same story, different flavour: link

Oh wonderful, yet another upcoming punitive tax. At least they won't be able to pin littering on the bikers, or at least hopefully not.

I do hate litter though. Britain is mostly a nice country, and seeing McBloat bags on lovely countryside roads does p1ss me off, as it does you I'm sure.

Will this count for dog owners who like to leave sh1t all over the place? Will there be a tattle-tail free phone number for the carrier bag Stasi?

Actually it doesn't cost our councils anything to clear up litter. It costs us, the taxpayer. So if we want to litter we should just litter. We're already paying for the clear up.

eight

Actually it doesn't cost our councils anything to clear up litter. It costs us, the taxpayer. So if we want to litter we should just litter. We're already paying for the clear up.

eight

A better solution may be 1 day of litter cleaning community service if you are caught littering. Then those responsible (if caught) pay the highest part of the cost.

A better solution may be 1 day of litter cleaning community service if you are caught littering. Then those responsible (if caught) pay the highest part of the cost.

Excellent idea.

Slavery is wrong.

There really is no good reason to litter from a car.. it's not hard to throw rubbish in a side pocket /foot well until you get home.

The only time it wouldn't be safe is cigarette butts. It annoys me to see people flicking them out.. but I understand that there is not much else you can do with them (plus they are small).

Having said that, I used to take a bottle of water and drop them in there so it's not beyond the wit of man.

No, a better solution would be to sharpen the end of blind peoples sticks.

They are neat when you set them off on a nice evening, but yes, if they are landing in the trees.... Not sure how that is legal actually, I mean to set off an open flame in such a manner.

Although a bit of coloured paper on a tree is better than one pasted with carrier bags.

It's all awful actually.

My god father is a cattle farmer a few miles from a wedding venue (historic house). The paper lanterns have a wire frame and he has had a few big vet bills when they get ingested by his cows.

I flicked a spider, that I caught dangling in front of my face from the roof lining of my car, out the window the other day, would that count as littering?

Is it the act of waving ones hand out of the window which is the offence or will plod/council enforcement officers (:rolleyes:) have to collect the littered 'evidence'?

Yet more fear. No excuse for chucking stuff out of car windows, mind.

Snoopers, cameras... no doubt little comeback or room to argue.

It all adds to the stress and sense of the boot on one's face.

Whilst walking to the shops, it's always a treat to see the texters (mostly young women) and mobile phone users (mostly women but to less of a degree) at it whilst driving. Now that is dangerous...

They didn't mention people who throw lit cigarettes out the window. That's all I ever see people chucking out of their cars.

He said the fines would help councils cover the annual £850million cost of keeping the streets clean.

Council staff could be deployed to ‘problem’ laybys and car parks specifically to enforce the litter laws. He added: ‘It’s time to get tough on lazy, selfish people who toss rubbish from moving cars and expect other people to cover the cost of cleaning it up

The cost of street cleaning is already paid for by council tax.

These council staff that will be deployed to sit around all day, will they be working for free?

It seems like more money could be recovered by sacking these surplus people and saving on their wages than giving people tickets because their child threw a wotsit out of the window.

There really is no good reason to litter from a car.. it's not hard to throw rubbish in a side pocket /foot well until you get home.

I agree, but people are so precious about their cars these days.

Children of the Topgear generation.

Vroom vroom = cool, Countryside = boring innit.

Given the choice between a spotless plastic interior or nature at it's most beautiful, what could they possibly do but sling their shit in the hedgerow?

I agree, but people are so precious about their cars these days.

Children of the Topgear generation.

Vroom vroom = cool, Countryside = boring innit.

Given the choice between a spotless plastic interior or nature at it's most beautiful, what could they possibly do but sling their shit in the hedgerow?

A depressingly accurate-sounding assessment of the mentality of far too many people in this country. Pity we can't move them to some other dump where there isn't much beauty for them to mess up.

They didn't mention people who throw lit cigarettes out the window. That's all I ever see people chucking out of their cars.

Good point, they should pay double