House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

False Economies

Do you always look for the cheapest price? On what do you prefer to spend more, in order to avoid making a false economy?

I avoid really cheap shoes. Never last more than a few weeks.

Do you always look for the cheapest price? On what do you prefer to spend more, in order to avoid making a false economy?

Shoes, I have good well made shoes for certain occasions, but also not so good shoes that I wear for holidays, gardening etc.....some of the best shoes I have bought have been bought in the sales for very little money, and believe it or not ASDA not so much now but about two or three years ago, their quality supplier must of changed or put their prices up. ;)

Anything that I will use a lot and will get a serious doing. Bike stuff being a good example.

Got a pair of Ortlieb pannier bags. Cost something over £100 I think. However apparently they will last me 10+ years. They have a 5 year guarantee. Best you can get - so I was told. I use them and bash them about 4-5 days per week. When you think of it that way - £100 is next to nothing for the peace of mind.

I generally spend mid-level prices on most things, but just don't upgrade or change unnecessarily...mobile cost 25 quid and is pay as you go, had the same car for eight years, no playstation or wii, haven't bought socks for years. The wife is the same. Only things we spend quite a bit on are rent (I lenjoy living where I live), food (all fresh, free-range, non-processed, etc), foreign travel, and sports equipment like bikes for hobbies.

If you strip out those four things and all necessary bills (electricity, heating, etc), I reckon less than 2% of our remaining disposable income goes on clothes and discretionary items.

images-2.jpeg

post-15519-0-36258100-1304539486_thumb.jpeg

Most consumer goods I'll get for the standard 'internet' price. I hate clothes shopping so on the times I find something I like I'll pay any price so to shorten the time. I also have the habit of booking above average hotels etc when on holiday much to the annoyance of the wife. I'll always spend good money on most things music related. In fact I'm not really a cheapskate on anything. Always buy generic pharmaceuticals if I need them I suppose.

I'm a tight-wad, but a few random things spring to mind:

- steaks

- car tyres

- furniture

- paint, especially exterior

- shirts

- wine

Intersting topic as my boss today exclaimed the price of petrol at a station we passed (£1.37 IIRC).

I told him that I bareley notice the price of petorl as it doesnt seem worth the effort. Eg. I use about 50 litres a week and thereofre the difference between the cheapest and most expensive can only make about £3 difference a week.

Am i a mug?

Depends on the longevity of the item.

Cars - I go cheap. However much you spend, you are likely to be bored of the thing after three years. That would hurt if you'd dropped £40K on it.

Electronics/computers - cheap. It is all going in the bin inside 4 years, so what's the point in spending big money

Washing machine - super expensive. It will last for 20 years, and it is not an item to be cherished, it does a job.

Tools - super expensive. The could literally last a lifetime if well looked after.

Intersting topic as my boss today exclaimed the price of petrol at a station we passed (£1.37 IIRC).

I told him that I bareley notice the price of petorl as it doesnt seem worth the effort. Eg. I use about 50 litres a week and thereofre the difference between the cheapest and most expensive can only make about £3 difference a week.

Am i a mug?

....yes, if it costs you £3 in fuel to drive to the cheapest petrol station......with petrol there is not a lot of choice, you can only save by driving less or driving better. ;)

Toilet paper. The cheap stuff is so thin you have to fold it, meaning you use more.

...newspaper is thicker, but then you end up spending more on soap. :P

Am i a mug?

Obviously depends how much you are filling up, but in general you are correct. It costs me around £100 to fill up, if I go to somewhere where it's 3p cheaper I'm saving about £2.55

Lets say you had a supermarket at the end of the road and you total bill was £102.25 would you travel another supermarket 3 miles away to save £2.25 I'd imagine a vast majority of people wouldn't bother.

Lets say you had a supermarket at the end of the road and you total bill was £102.25 would you travel another supermarket 3 miles away to save £2.25 I'd imagine a vast majority of people wouldn't bother.

Except that the bill was half the price only a little while ago - that's what hurts.

Inflation 5%? My ****!

Yes , don't get cheap bin liners because when the cheap , thin ones tear then it's a real hassle cleaning up the rubbish.

i'm with the anything that lasts or that you can really tell the difference with.

tinned tomatoes for some reason spring to mind.

then there's stuff like appliances (pressure cooker, steamers etc.), pans, knives which should always be good quality and last many many years.

i'd like to buy a budget house, and although some are of budget quality, they certainly don't carry the tesco value pricetag!!

Own-brand food in supermarkets - often as good as, sometimes even preferable to mainstream brands, and a lot cheaper.

It's a bit hit-and-miss though, sometimes own-brand products are awful.

More of an economy than a false economy.

False economies: Never go for the cheapest lawyer, doctor or condom.

I'm a real scrooge, but when it comes to guitars you get exactly what you pay for. Buying a cheap guitar is utterly pointless.

One other thing I won't skimp on is a jacket or coat. A good one will last a very long time. And don't underestimate how cheap clothing can ruin your image. Cheap jeans & t-shirts you can get away with, and a lot of other items. But never a jacket.

Except that the bill was half the price only a little while ago - that's what hurts.

Inflation 5%? My ****!

Well unless you have invented a time machine I'm not sure of your point.

Yes it is expensive in comparison to some point in time in the past, that doesn't mean somebody should waste their time driving around the local area looking for 2p off a litre. Sure if you are going past somewhere cheap pull in and fill your boots.

I try to make my own assessment of shoes. Some more expensive ones fall apart rapidly too.

Cheap&nasty ADSL routers are painful. But then buying a more expensive one is no guarantee of decent quality either.

Well unless you have invented a time machine I'm not sure of your point.

Yes it is expensive in comparison to some point in time in the past, that doesn't mean somebody should waste their time driving around the local area looking for 2p off a litre. Sure if you are going past somewhere cheap pull in and fill your boots.

What I meant was - people moan about it as they can see how it goes up over a short period of their lives, despite the government's lies. Same with the price of bread and gas bills. Daily, things are going up in price, in noticeable amounts. (Strangely enough not much moaning if the price of a laptop is cheaper than ever before.)

I don't think many people are dumb enough to shop around like that, or are they?

p.s. I love the "pound per use" rule of thumb. Easy way to gauge how much to pay for a lot of things.

Own-brand food in supermarkets - often as good as, sometimes even preferable to mainstream brands, and a lot cheaper.

Yep, always done that. Just a few brands I do go for: for example, after too many bland pickled onions I reverted to a brand (Haywards) when buying them.

False economies: Never go for the cheapest lawyer, doctor or condom.

'cos the cheap condom will land you in need of the other two? :blink:

Most cheap cars (I'm talking in the hundreds of pounds) are a pointless, rust-bucket, will screw you on the next MOT false economy.