House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Council Houses: Cheats And Victims Bbc1 9Pm

Programme tackles the subletting of social housing. The cheats cost the UK a billion pounds a year.

BBC1 9pm

Edited by juvenal

I'm definitely watching this. Together with my own anecdotal evidence, I suspect this subletting is rife in a lot of boroughs in London, and has been for a long time too.

A mate of mine was briefly a tenant in a sublet in a block near Waterloo. The actual council tenants lived in a detached country house in France on the London rent income.

On BBC1 now.

It's about the sell off of council housing stock thanks to the tories/labour and the subsequent abuse of the system since then as people take advantage of the housing/credit boom.

Hopefully it will make some of the older generations realise how much the young have been royally f**ked over.

A pretty good watch so far...

Yes, here is my reply from the other thread:

Anybody watching this programme? It is a very true and sad account! That family of 10 under one roof... that's like my situation! We had 7 under one roof - now 6 as one has moved out. 3 bedrooms, share one with my brother - not a great street, signs of damp... private rents are too high and supported by benefits. Listen to the stories about housing fraud. It's a very fascinating watch. Britain is looking more and more 3rd world!

Bloke from Heriot-Watt uni said jump in multiple families under one roof was 80% from 2000 - 2009. Coinciding nicely with the house price boom. Will the greed of property VIs destroy the fabric of society completely?

-----------

No wonder we are angry.

EDIT - did you see the state of some of the places? Some 'investment'.

Edited by guitarman001

Anybody who has profited from a council house has victimised the next tenant/owner, and pilfered from the public purse.

This country only elects politicians who bias the system towards the will of the voters.

All of you should hang your heads in shame, or, at least 51% of you anyways...

Yes. All that stuff, and, Maggie Thatcher was/is a kunt.

I feel sorry for the pregnant girl as she seems a genuine case, but it all does grate me a bit that they are just relying on the council to home them.

The 'victims' are not particulary sympathetic - mostly youngsters who want a place to shack up with the girlfriend / boyfriend. One daft cow is 6 months pregnant, in debt and in a private place they can't afford. What happened to personal responsibility in this country?

That's not to say that the subletters shouldn't be fined the entire amount they have defrauded the nation and then some.

Says not against the law to have a council place as a tenant AND own other property..just cant rent your council flat out....!!!!!!!!!!!

No sympathy. why should they all have free houses ...bring coal fire places back and employ them all as chimley sweeps ...

Sure some of these people aren't great examples, but there are many genuine people out there, too. Toward the end of the programme now, he is focusing on the conmen... but we know who the real conmen are, and the deeper questions that need to be asked. However this is still a step in the right direction.

EDIT - regarding the quality of the people on the programme... sometimes these situations just build up and people really do get trapped. Where is the hope? I was lucky myself and will hopefully have a chance to get out... but some of my family are not as lucky. Jobs are rare as well all know, I would not be so quick to judge. I know there are a lot of high earners on here - I think they are possibly as detached from these situations as the politicians!

Edited by guitarman001

I can't believe what I am watching.

A guy placing internet adverts buying up council tenancies.

A policeman constable with a council tenancy, a bought flat opposite, a house in the country and a place in France (and those are just the ones we know about).

A policeman constable with a council tenancy, a bought flat opposite, a house in the country and a place in France (and those are just the ones we know about).

The tip of the iceberg indeed.

Social housing it isn't. Government subsidies always lead to fraud and corruption.

A fairly healthy working age male will never get social housing, I am afraid those two brothers need to try and come up with a plan b. The couple living in the damp dump, I am glad their plight was recognised, they have been lucky and I think they know it.

I wish the show had made more reference to the cost of housing compared to wages, to help the viewer see the situation more clearly.

FFS that family "crammed" into their 3-bed house. How about IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, STOP BREEDING!!!!!!

That's what everyone i know in their 20s/30s has had to do!!!!!!

Nah i've changed my mind about that programme. I think it was more bull than bear, esp for the BTL brigade:

Housing shortage - tick

High demand for rented housing - tick

Housing benefit subsidising rents - tick

No end in sight - tick

I wish the show had made more reference to the cost of housing compared to wages, to help the viewer see the situation more clearly.

For some reason people object to paying say £3k council tax but are happy to lose 40% of their wages to the government. Astounding stupidity all round. Then again, perhaps they make more from property flipping...

I'm clearly a mug for paying market rent in a largely council estate of highrises (a small portion of the leases are in private hands), compared to these swindlers anyway. Oh well, another day of low paid work and rack-renting, with no alternative..

I can sometimes briefly tolerate the BTL is my pension line.

It seems this copper wants both.

I think coppers, and other public sectorites should be made to choose between their gold plated pension and any BTL portfolio they've built up.

Anybody who has profited from a council house has victimised the next tenant/owner, and pilfered from the public purse.

This country only elects politicians who bias the system towards the will of the voters.

All of you should hang your heads in shame, or, at least 51% of you anyways...

Yes. All that stuff, and, Maggie Thatcher was/is a kunt.

Under FPTP and non-compulsory voting it might only have been 30% of us or less.

A fairly healthy working age male will never get social housing, I am afraid those two brothers need to try and come up with a plan b. The couple living in the damp dump, I am glad their plight was recognised, they have been lucky and I think they know it.

Yes, there was not a single mention of housing simply being TOO BLOODY EXPENSIVE.

I think coppers, and other public sectorites should be made to choose between their gold plated pension and any BTL portfolio they've built up.

I wonder how much need that copper needed to demonstrate to get his Docklands council flat?

Maybe he got the flat due to being a "key worker."

One wonders how many public sector types are subletting their flats.

Also an investigation into how that Policeman had the time to actually do his "real" job?

Edited by Sir John Steed

The copper shown in this programme did not have a BTL portfolio , he was illegally sub letting out his council flat. What happened at the end the council told him to give it back to them . He should have been prosecuted and locked up , I wonder if he has declared this money to the tax office , not sure how he got the other flat next door as well.

The copper shown in this programme did not have a BTL portfolio , he was illegally sub letting out his council flat. What happened at the end the council told him to give it back to them . He should have been prosecuted and locked up , I wonder if he has declared this money to the tax office , not sure how he got the other flat next door as well.

Wasn't he also a minor celeb who has appeared on tv about his btl portfolio?

. What happened to personal responsibility in this country?

For many on low and average wages, high tax's and high housing cost's have made personal responsibility almost immpossible when it comes to the roof over the head.

I think the most shocking thing about the whole programme was the fact that those on the council house waiting list has doubled in the last x amount of years ( not sure whether they said the last 5 or 10 years ) . Apart from immigration which accounts for some much of that number must be due to more and more people being unable to afford any housing other than social housing.