House Price Crash Forum

Self Build, Fancy It?

HOLA441

I've been sending emails to Grant Shapps on a regular basis just to let them know that I am still pretty grumpy about the housing market, but then received an email back with the following link.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/corporate/1894557

Looks like they want to promote self build.

I'd be interested. Of course the plots would have to be sensibly priced.

I've asked how to be kept informed, so shall keep an eye on this.

cheers.

PS, anyone know a good brickie?

HOLA442

for self build I'd recommend using a "kit house" like these http://www.bauhu.com/prefab/prices.htm work out cheaper and quicker to build not to mention pretty good quality. There are lots of other companies around doing these sort of houses. In europe you can get yourself a very nice house with a big garden for less than 100k euros... Should be achievable in the UK too?

Edited by hayder

HOLA443

I've been sending emails to Grant Shapps on a regular basis just to let them know that I am still pretty grumpy about the housing market, but then received an email back with the following link.

cheers.

HOLA444

cheers.

If you're serious about self build (and I've done a few) I'd recommend you research The Walter Segal Trust for and economical way to build and avoid Kit Houses like the plague.

HOLA445

for self build I'd recommend using a "kit house" like these http://www.bauhu.com/prefab/prices.htm work out cheaper and quicker to build not to mention pretty good quality. There are lots of other companies around doing these sort of houses. In europe you can get yourself a very nice house with a big garden for less than 100k euros... Should be achievable in the UK too?

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/MainlandUK/Supawall/Supawall-Intro.asp

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SF_KitSearch.asp

These new Sip panels are the way to go, kit houses are so easy to build, and not all that expensive, they will last as long if not longer than old outdated cavity brick design, makes you realise just how much people are getting ripped off buying old out dated uninsulated shite, these new sip homes cost next to nothing to heat.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Some interesting little self-builds in Brighton - Google Street View LINK. On the border of a very dodgy area, though! :ph34r: They chose to call the road Sea-Saw (geddit?!) Way. This was about 20 years ago, I believe.

Yes, this was built using the Segal method

HOLA448

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/MainlandUK/Supawall/Supawall-Intro.asp

http://www.scotframe.co.uk/web/site/SF_KitSearch.asp

These new Sip panels are the way to go, kit houses are so easy to build, and not all that expensive, they will last as long if not longer than old outdated cavity brick design, makes you realise just how much people are getting ripped off buying old out dated uninsulated shite, these new sip homes cost next to nothing to heat.

Amazing! 5 bedroom macmansion 'yew' building 60grand!! Even if it only lasted 10 years you could just rebuild!

HOLA449

Yes, I've done a self-build (and also a refurbishment that was so extensive it virtually qualified as a self-build). In both cases I followed the route that at least 80% of self builders follow, I up specced the property so much that it would have been cheaper to buy a ready made property...and then didn't really get the money back when I eventually sold.

Moral of the story? Never be a self-builder, but if at all possible always buy from a self-builder!

HOLA4410

What about self build your own transport, fancy that?

or Heal yourself, why go to a doctor?

This has always made me a bit pi##ed off

Exactly the same as all these programes on the Beeb/channel 4 about self build, do up, flip over, etc etc

I have been involved in construction for........ over 30 years and even I at times refer to other experts in certain areas for knowledge.

Why do people think they can build something better or cheaper than professionals? Especially when labour costs are lower as demand is down?

My company sells mainly to the trade and give technical advice to engineers, specifiers etc but occasionally we get some self builder who already has preconceived ideas about how to do a job. Patience only lasts so long and I end up giving them a professional contact to do the job for them or refuse to supply if they are to do the job in the way they describe.

HOLA4411

people do this it's called a kit car

ask any GP how many patients actually need to be seen by a doctor. The majority would be fine without

Exactly the same as all these programes on the Beeb/channel 4 about self build, do up, flip over, etc etc

I have been involved in construction for........ over 30 years and even I at times refer to other experts in certain areas for knowledge.

Why do people think they can build something better or cheaper than professionals? Especially when labour costs are lower as demand is down?

My company sells mainly to the trade and give technical advice to engineers, specifiers etc but occasionally we get some self builder who already has preconceived ideas about how to do a job. Patience only lasts so long and I end up giving them a professional contact to do the job for them or refuse to supply if they are to do the job in the way they describe.

I'm sure you are a high quality low cost builder but there are a lot of high cost low quality out there and building your own, especially with a kit house seems a very attractive alternative

Edited by nohpc

HOLA4412

cheers.

Firstly, are they going to make the land available and shout down the nimbys ?

How are they going to ensure that developers don't block buy it and push out ordinary people ?

Are they going to do proper surveys for infrastructure etc ? Who's going to build the roads going up to these plots ?

I'd like to hassle them as well. Where is the email address to write to ? Is it just the contactus address ?

HOLA4413

LOL, you should see the builders knocking up the piece of shit extension on the house next door to me. Professionals... don't make me laugh.

HOLA4414

Because the professionals I've just had round doing some work were utterly incompetent. I could have done the same job myself.

You may be good at what you do but I'll bet there are twice as many cowboys in the trade as pros.

HOLA4415

+1

Even if it's just decorating, I feel it's worthwhile hiring a professional. Out of necessity I've done some decorating at home (no money) but the difference is always noticeable. Building and construction (imo) should be left to the professionals - and I take the point that you get cowboys around.

The old Red Adair quote is relevant here:

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

HOLA4416

+1

Even if it's just decorating, I feel it's worthwhile hiring a professional. Out of necessity I've done some decorating at home (no money) but the difference is always noticeable. Building and construction (imo) should be left to the professionals - and I take the point that you get cowboys around.

The old Red Adair quote is relevant here:

I don't think self-builders think they can do better, they're just trying(and mostly failing) to avoid being ripped off. Professionals put up a house for 100k on a 50k plot and ask 350k for it.

My brother built a 200m2 5 bed 3 bath house for 100k + nigh on two years of his work, so you can save money, no builder would have done it for less than 220k, more like 400k if the South East.(It wasn't). He had the advantage of owning the plot already, I suspect many self-builders end up losing their potential savings in the land purchase.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I don't think self-builders think they can do better, they're just trying(and mostly failing) to avoid being ripped off. Professionals put up a house for 100k on a 50k plot and ask 350k for it.

My brother built a 200m2 5 bed 3 bath house for 100k + nigh on two years of his work, so you can save money, no builder would have done it for less than 220k, more like 400k if the South East.(It wasn't). He had the advantage of owning the plot already, I suspect many self-builders end up losing their potential savings in the land purchase.

100k to build on a 50k plot and ask 350k for it? I think not.

HOLA4419

I'm doing a self-build of an outbuilding to convert it from 600sqft piggery to 1400sqft of accommodation to latest building regs. I'm doing the design, project management and materials sourcing with help from a family surveyor. Even this takes a lot of time.

I found a good brickie who was short of work for £90/day, known him for years and is doing a good job. I do the zero-skill work, mostly clearing up the mess and moving things around so the qualified guys aren't wasting their time doing that. I have a labourer available at £50/day for when I don't have the time.

If you have a good size plot and still have PD rights, you can put up a single storey outbuilding of any size (!), subject to a few position limitations without needing planning permission. It can't be sold off or rented as a separate dwelling without planning permission but can be used for relatives to live in, a garage, home office, playroom etc.

HOLA4420

Self build does not normally mean that you literally build the house yourself. It means you buy the land, then choose a builder and/or architect who builds it for you based on your ideas. This is how it works in the more civilised parts of Europe, where it's mainstream (for example Germany).

HOLA4421

Self build does not normally mean that you literally build the house yourself. It means you buy the land, then choose a builder and/or architect who builds it for you based on your ideas. This is how it works in the more civilised parts of Europe, where it's mainstream (for example Germany).

Drive around France and you will see "terrain a battir" boards dotted around towns next to areas of land which a re subdivided for development, together quite often with a board of various example house designs. One of the reasons rural areas in France have survived well is they have been allowed to grow - expat owners buy and do up the wrekcers, the locals often prefer more modern newly built efficient houses slightly nearer towns, win win - some extra expenditure in the local economy from tourism in the summer (and at other times), more work for local trades, the small shops, butchers, bakers, small bars stay open even in the most unlikely small towns.

HOLA4422

Strawbale would be my approach as I could then do pretty much 90% of the work myself and would happily work a 3 day week to cover the costs. An added benefit is that there is no shortage of help from around Europe from similar minded people who want to gain experience for their own builds.

http://www.amazonails.org.uk/

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

100k to build on a 50k plot and ask 350k for it? I think not.

Well you may be right, I'm no expert, but using this search in a random town in Bucks(I've never been there) as an example, I don't think I'm very far out, especially when it's a large development.

I don't think major developers pay the same price per square metre for land as a little self-builder.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Wendover.html?minBedrooms=4&maxBedrooms=4&newHome=true

HOLA4425

We're just about to start building a house. It's very difficult to do at a reasonable price because of the price of land and all the rules that you have to comply with. We are fortunate in that we've been given the land by my wife's parents (so the house will end up costing half of what a similar house would cost us to buy). To give you an idea, we've probably spent £35k before we've even started doing any work. You can't just get an architect in now, there are SAP assessments, tree reports, site surveys, developers tax, highways assessments, structual engineers, building control to pay for.

We're going to be sensible about the spec. I don't see the point in expensive fittings, but there are some things that make a lot of sense and add to the price, such as a wider staircase, underfloor heating, heat pump and internal block walls. The things that will set it apart from a Wimpy box.

What I have noticed about the build plots is that they now seem to be priced for multi house building. So anyone buying for a single house with reasonable garden will end up paying over the odds for it. I think that's why many people I encounter think that all self builders must be doing some sort of grand designs thing. Nobody I have met assumes that we just want somewhere to live.