House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Uk 'is The Only Nation Working Harder Than In The 1980S'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383310/Thatchers-legacy-UK-nation-working-harder-1980s.html

Thatcher's legacy: UK 'is the only nation working harder than in the 1980s'
By Daniel "Danny boy" Martin
4th May 2011
Britain is the only country whose people work harder than they did in the 1980s, an international study has found.
Margaret Thatcher’s workplace revolution has seen Britons working more hours per week than when she was in Number Ten.
The former Tory prime minister’s success at cracking down on union restrictive practices and freeing the country’s entrepreneurial spirit means we work much harder than we used to.
Meanwhile, across Europe, people now work fewer hours than they did in the 1980s.

Hardly Thatcher's fault. This country has been subjected to a disease that has forced people to take on more debt than they can bear and to exploit others through adding to that misery by creating an industry out of a social benefit. Its called HPI and it IS the British disease. The blame goes back further than Maggie and it continues today--unabated. HPI has made us into a greedy nation and that greed comes at a price--work harder and longer for less.

A proportion may be working harder - a lot aren't working at all, What's the figure for economically inactive - 8 or 9 million? I know from my personal cirumstances that recruiters and agencies aren't putting me up for jobs I could do in my sleep. I'm not yet taking from the state - I'm hoping to get a web startup supplying data reporting to small and medium businesses up and running, but if I fail to get any takers I may well end up permanently washed up. No desire here to own a car or branded clothing, but I can't help feeling a society that fails to utilise its own workforce effectively, is doomed in the medium term.

A lot of the extra work is also completely unproductive.

There are too many layers of boomer management doing nothing else than trying to justify their existence with new initiatives and causing unproductive work to take place below them. All this needs lots of reporting and analysis so they can sit round drinking coffee and discuss progress.

Any organization with more than 2 layers of management needs to sack some managers.

That’s the British way: put in long hours rather than being more effective in a shorter working week…

A lot of the economy seems to be parasitical anyway, I’m sure many of those who stare into computer screens all day and attend meetings could be better employed building a better society…

Just astonishing - hurray, let's celebrate the witch who removed any kind of social or legal protection to ensure decent living conditions for the proles!!!

What kind of f0ckwit thinks its better for people to work longer hours for less pay, unless you are the guy at the top who employs the wageslaves?

Of course people are working longer hours. How else are they going to find the time to get their job done AND read the internet? The HPC forums don't write themselves you know....

That's the British way: put in long hours rather than being more effective in a shorter working week…

A lot of the economy seems to be parasitical anyway, I'm sure many of those who stare into computer screens all day and attend meetings could be better employed building a better society…

diversity fills in any spare capacity generated.

Just astonishing - hurray, let's celebrate the witch who removed any kind of social or legal protection to ensure decent living conditions for the proles!!!

What kind of f0ckwit thinks its better for people to work longer hours for less pay, unless you are the guy at the top who employs the wageslaves?

I agree. All jobs should be for life, the retirement age reduced to 50 40, and nobody should be allowed to work more than 30 hours a week.

You'd have to be a complete f0ckwit to see any problem with that.

A lot of the extra work is also completely unproductive.

There are too many layers of boomer management doing nothing else than trying to justify their existence with new initiatives and causing unproductive work to take place below them. All this needs lots of reporting and analysis so they can sit round drinking coffee and discuss progress.

Any organization with more than 2 layers of management needs to sack some managers.

Boomers are mostly retired by now (b. 1946-72)

No, its the greedy Gen X that are the Banksters brigade and BTL merchants. The "City types" with greasy slicked back hair and driving Monster 4 X 4s. These are the greedmongers now in their late 30's and 40's who are robbing the next generation (Gen Y).

What is defined as work is pretty laughable these days especially white collar/management jobs. With people having the right to make phone calls at work whenever they like and unrestricted access to the internet, productivity generally slumps, groceries are ordered online, holidays booked, facebook, linkedin and twitter sites checked and updated............... its all so stressful.

Right now In offices around the uk people now will be sat at computer terminals pecking away at keyboards all day long writing drivel emails, in an attempt to create the illusion that they are busy. Usually the emails will contain warnings or unlikely events that might happen or useless copied information. Management will always be cc'd nt with a sub text "look I am at work, working". Like pyramid selling this will generate a flurry of reply emails as all the recipients too will want to create the illusion that they are trojan knowledge workers

The only respite from this is to get up and go to the coffee machine, sit in the breakout area and have a chat with colleagues about how bad things are and complain at how busy you are

Managers would pick up on this except they never have time to reply to emails as they are working so hard too. These laptop and blackberry wielding road warriers need to be seen to be busy to justify their existence and that means face to face otherwise how could they justify their expense claims and car allowance. It is also essential that they attend as many corporate hospitality events and management conferences so that they can have an enormous network of like minded people to call upon should they need to look for another job

The only time they get to reply to the emails is about a week later when their one line reply from their crackberry which sparks another flurry of page long epistles

Of course if there is anything managerially sensitive, then management meetings offsite in hotel conference facilities are unavoidable, such as meetings about downsizing and outsourcing the knowledge workers roles by re-engineering their work and sending it to India. Indian knowledge workers will do the same pointless activities to a higher standard , more bureaucratically at a cheaper unit rate but overall more expensively. This together with their inability to communicate will require frequent trips abroad by management, to resolve the problem ........what is called a win win situation.

I

I agree. All jobs should be for life, the retirement age reduced to 50 40, and nobody should be allowed to work more than 30 hours a week.

UK should be more like China i agree , 80% of men smoking , they die before they reach 70 and the government makes massive cash on excise and doesn't have to pay pensions.Does a government advisory role for me beckon? :lol:

That’s the British way: put in long hours rather than being more effective in a shorter working week…

A lot of the economy seems to be parasitical anyway, I’m sure many of those who stare into computer screens all day and attend meetings could be better employed building a better society…

do you mean us lot on HPC?

Surely it's what you produce that counts, rather than how hard you work?

In many ways the 'work ethic' is a ludicrous idea but has one very usefull application- if you want to employ someone but not pay them in relation to the outcome of their efforts you need some other device for ensuring maximum effort- so making effort a moral imperative you achive this- and it's cheaper than paying for it. :D

I need only persuade someone that they have a moral obligation to work as hard as they can and I have created a useful tool- I can reap the bulk of the reward for their effort while they remain highly motivated despite this inequity.

There is an interesting cultural cut off point to be observed in the application of the work ethic model- it applies to the low skilled and less influential, but not to the higher skilled and more influential- this second group being motivated not by ethics but by cash incentives- no one seriously tries to run the 'work ethic' meme on a CEO or a Banker- it's well understood that the efforts of these people cannot be commanded via ethics- they can only be bought with money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383310/Thatchers-legacy-UK-nation-working-harder-1980s.html

Thatcher's legacy: UK 'is the only nation working harder than in the 1980s'
By Daniel "Danny boy" Martin
4th May 2011
Britain is the only country whose people work harder than they did in the 1980s, an international study has found.
Margaret Thatcher’s workplace revolution has seen Britons working more hours per week than when she was in Number Ten.
The former Tory prime minister’s success at cracking down on union restrictive practices and freeing the country’s entrepreneurial spirit means we work much harder than we used to.
Meanwhile, across Europe, people now work fewer hours than they did in the 1980s.

Hardly Thatcher's fault. This country has been subjected to a disease that has forced people to take on more debt than they can bear and to exploit others through adding to that misery by creating an industry out of a social benefit. Its called HPI and it IS the British disease. The blame goes back further than Maggie and it continues today--unabated. HPI has made us into a greedy nation and that greed comes at a price--work harder and longer for less.

I think you just put the cart before the horse.

Like PricedOutNative, I would suggest it is part of the British way of 'more heat than light'. Leaders in this country have always tried to work round their own shortcomings by making the proles work harder.

A bit like our football teams. Managers here, even those from abroad, seem to prefer the "workhorse" player who runs all over the pitch to the thinking type who uses his skill rather than his muscles to win the game.

I believe that is what is known as a "straw man".

In many ways the 'work ethic' is a ludicrous idea but has one very usefull application- if you want to employ someone but not pay them in relation to the outcome of their efforts you need some other device for ensuring maximum effort- so making effort a moral imperative you achive this- and it's cheaper than paying for it. :D

I need only persuade someone that they have a moral obligation to work as hard as they can and I have created a useful tool- I can reap the bulk of the reward for their effort while they remain highly motivated despite this inequity.

There is an interesting cultural cut off point to be observed in the application of the work ethic model- it applies to the low skilled and less influential, but not to the higher skilled and more influential- this second group being motivated not by ethics but by cash incentives- no one seriously tries to run the 'work ethic' meme on a CEO or a Banker- it's well understood that the efforts of these people cannot be commanded via ethics- they can only be bought with money.

Well said.

I find all this work ethic stuff a bit rich coming from the members of this forum.

From what I have gleaned reading many threads where the IT guys get going about what they earn and what they used to earn it would seem to me that they were largely paid for what they knew rather than how much actual effort they put in. Or to put it more accurately, they got paid the huge sums they received because of what others didn't know.

IT work has long been seen as some kind of black art but as more and more people learn the skills this aura is diminishing and with it the huge pay packets. These guys were definitely in your second group. As they move closer to the first will they work harder or just put up with a much lower income? Of course, as your skills become more readily available the option of not working hard will not be on offer from any employer.

like i have said before ' only fools and horse work'......

4 Day working week and the first monday of the month as a bank holiday would be the mark of a civilised society in my view...