House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Sick Of Coughing

I went for about 7 weeks Nov/Dec with a rotten cough - chest, not throat. Think I had some weird flu, nothing like it before.

Vit C didn't help. Had to wait it out. Will maybe go for flu jab next autumn.

What's your cure for a cough?

stop smoking or if you have bear with it and it will give up soon :P every time i give up i start to cough ... it goes when i start again :(

stop smoking or if you have bear with it and it will give up soon :P every time i give up i start to cough ... it goes when i start again :(

I've not smoked since 23rd dec 2000.

fook me ... how many a day.. or did you eat them :lol:

I was on rollies before I gave up... Far too many. Quit cold turkey apart from menthol gum which I got addicted to. Took me a year to give the gum up.

Its possible you may have late onset asthma, which reveals itself in a cough that simply won't go away.

+1

It could be early onset asthma or it could be seasonal asthma. 7 weeks ago was just when all the various trees and rapeseed and wheat and other cr*p began flowering and giving off pollen so it could well be that.

You need to see your GP just in case it is something more serious - best to get a chest x-ray done and perhaps try a low dose steroid reliever for a few weeks.

I ain't a doctor so go see your GP.

I'd go to the Dr's. Check for chest infection. They can hang around for ever, maybe give you antibiotics.

I went to the doc's some years back with a persistent cough and he did the usual "open wide"

took a look and said 'nasal drip' ie a persistent runny nose which drips down the back .

He gave me a prescription to dry it up, but said that it would be just for the duration of the medicine.

When I thought about it I decided I wouldnt do that and threw it away.

For me it is probably correlated with hay fever from different sources . I have to be careful to prevent stuff

running down the back .

I can suffer badly from colds as I always end up with a bad cough after despite trying to prevent it running

down the back.

Not relevant to the original post , but there are 2 types of cough medicine

- so called tickly cough - this inhibits the coughing response - ie take this at night

- expectorant - this is supposed to help to get the gunk up - take during the day.

I didnt realise the significance of the 2 types , and would often spend a wretched few days

after a cold with maybe 3 hrs sleep at night as I only took the expectorant and the tickle would

stop me getting to sleep. Now it is much less of a problem.

anyway ymmv , consult your own physician ;) etc.

@ sarah : hope you find a solution to your problem

cheers,

rockhopper

more likely pollution sensitive, shit in the air everywhere :(

Quite.

(Plus what Ken and MT said).

Could also be weather-related.

Although you MIGHT have something more serious, chances are you have just got late (ie adult) onset asthma, triggered by something environmental. Problem is, if your quack is like mine, he'll be shit at diagnosing it.

For about the last 7 years I've had a cough starting in Jan/Feb, whenever I've caught a lurgie, and carrying on until spring. Nothing would shift it, not antibiotics, not the really potent behind the counter cough linctuses. For the last two years I've relentlessly taken strong antihistamines, (once a day jobbies) and they've done the job.

This is becoming an increasingly common thing, apparently.

Good luck

- so called tickly cough - this inhibits the coughing response - ie take this at night

- expectorant - this is supposed to help to get the gunk up - take during the day.

I didnt realise the significance of the 2 types , and would often spend a wretched few days

after a cold with maybe 3 hrs sleep at night as I only took the expectorant and the tickle would

Interesting. I've seen two types, but struggled with the significance: a cough bad enough to drive me to medication rarely seems to fit one or the other description. Do you have any references for further reading?

The only medication I'd consider for a 'normal' (lighter-than-crippling) cough is cough sweets that clear the nasal tract. Like menthol. Oh, and hot lemony powder drinks last thing at night.

I went to the doc's some years back with a persistent cough and he did the usual "open wide"

took a look and said 'nasal drip' ie a persistent runny nose which drips down the back .

He gave me a prescription to dry it up, but said that it would be just for the duration of the medicine.

When I thought about it I decided I wouldnt do that and threw it away.

For me it is probably correlated with hay fever from different sources . I have to be careful to prevent stuff

running down the back .

I can suffer badly from colds as I always end up with a bad cough after despite trying to prevent it running

down the back.

anyway ymmv , consult your own physician ;) etc.

@ sarah : hope you find a solution to your problem

cheers,

rockhopper

For the unpleasant post nasal drip, I use Sterimar, a sterilised seawater nose spray. It helps. I also have a negative ioniser in my bedroom, which cleans the air of dust. It's all related to hayfever.

Quite.

(Plus what Ken and MT said).

Could also be weather-related.

Although you MIGHT have something more serious, chances are you have just got late (ie adult) onset asthma, triggered by something environmental. Problem is, if your quack is like mine, he'll be shit at diagnosing it.

For about the last 7 years I've had a cough starting in Jan/Feb, whenever I've caught a lurgie, and carrying on until spring. Nothing would shift it, not antibiotics, not the really potent behind the counter cough linctuses. For the last two years I've relentlessly taken strong antihistamines, (once a day jobbies) and they've done the job.

This is becoming an increasingly common thing, apparently.

Good luck

My Dad thinks he has this - got it at age 55+. They are not 100% certain though.

To the OP - you thought about trying nasal irrigation ? Do it myself a few times a week. Helps clear out the gunk that gets blown up your nose. Never know - might work. And it is actually fairly pleasant if you get the right warm temperature and salinity.

neti-pot.jpg

I have done a neti pot in the past (Had septoplasty op twice now)

Just after Christmas it got a huge rotten bogey out that was the grossest thing ever (and I've sneezed op packing and snot out before now!)

I had CT for sinus polyp (and they'd tried to stick camera in that side too but couldn't ... did the other easy side easy peasy)

so almost due to go back for that.

When I start coughing though it's horrid and really struggling to get control of it.

Doc appt made at my OH's insistence though - I will report back later.

Was amusing to try and speak to receptionist whilst trying not to cough though

Moving aware from sources of diesel particulates perhaps?

Other things you might not know is some household products react with others

It's just me coughing though not anyone else.

And housework? pah!

Interesting. I've seen two types, but struggled with the significance: a cough bad enough to drive me to medication rarely seems to fit one or the other description. Do you have any references for further reading?

The only medication I'd consider for a 'normal' (lighter-than-crippling) cough is cough sweets that clear the nasal tract. Like menthol. Oh, and hot lemony powder drinks last thing at night.

I dont know where I read this stuff originally, but the wiki entry has a little on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough_medicine

but the tickly cough medicine has a chemical that suppresses the need to cough ,

and (for me at least) allows me to get to sleep after a cold.

In my usual way, I like to cough it up as the best way to fix the problem, so take the

expectorant during the day ... the chemist counter person always seems surprised

at buying both , so I tend to buy them separately :unsure: .

However , *my* coughs always seem to be down to nasal drip due to hayfever or a cold,

yours may be down to something different, or maybe you just react differently ?

For the unpleasant post nasal drip, I use Sterimar, a sterilised seawater nose spray. It helps. I also have a negative ioniser in my bedroom, which cleans the air of dust. It's all related to hayfever.

I'll give the Sterimar, a shot and see if it helps . I'll dig the ioniser out ... never thought

it did owt but who knows ... thanks for the tips.

cheers,

rockhopper

Could be something simple like Stress.

Really? Can they blame a cough on that?

:)

Anyway - went to see the doc. He listened to my chest and says it sounds clear but he's given me an inhaler of salbutamol stuff to see if that helps and is sending me for an x-ray.

He also did blood oxyen with a pulse-ox meter thing and thats 100%

He says to mention it to ENT man when I go back there next week AND to go back and see them if the inhaler works/doesn't work and I'm still coughing.

Really? Can they blame a cough on that?

:)

Anyway - went to see the doc. He listened to my chest and says it sounds clear but he's given me an inhaler of salbutamol stuff to see if that helps and is sending me for an x-ray.

He also did blood oxyen with a pulse-ox meter thing and thats 100%

He says to mention it to ENT man when I go back there next week AND to go back and see them if the inhaler works/doesn't work and I'm still coughing.

This seems to be one area of medicine in particluar that Docs seem to just stick their finger in the air and hope for the best.

Or maybe the lungs are just very difficult to work out ? Either way good luck and hope you are one of the few lucky ones who get a nice easy 'cure'.