House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Salaries 1% Lower Than December 2009

If you're already in a job, you're laughing, but if you're looking for one, expect to get paid less..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13257986

The number of job opportunities in the private sector slipped further back in April from March, according to data from the Reed recruitment agency.

Reed's index of vacancies fell three points, or 2%, compared with March, which was itself down on February.

However, demand is still up 22% from a year ago, according to Reed's analysis of vacancies at 8,000 employers.

The yearly rise is due to private sector growth, as new public sector jobs are down significantly, Reed says.

April's fall was due mainly to jobs growth in the banking and tourism sectors falling back after strong growth in February.

Sectors seeing jobs growth were IT and engineering.

Salaries for new jobs in April were 1% lower than in December 2009.

Although this level is unchanged from the previous month, it means pay packets are lagging further behind as inflation rises.

Martin Warnes, managing director of reed.co.uk, said that the fall in April was perhaps not surprising "as the Easter and Royal Wedding holidays led to a disjointed period for UK businesses".

But he added: "Clearly business growth has been sustained at a higher level than the last quarter of 2010, but continued recovery remains difficult to predict."

If you're already in a job, you're laughing, but if you're looking for one, expect to get paid less..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13257986

I left my job in August to spend some quality time with my young family (haha sound like a politician's excuse) and build up my freelance (illustration) portfolio.

Found out today that the two new guys (fresh from uni) that they got in to replace me and a friend of mine are on 15K O_o Christ Almighty!

(10K less than we were on, not including bonus and overtime, and we were pretty poorly paid considering the skillset needed).

15K for a graduate in 2011! I can't even work out how they can live on it (12.5K take home pay)

They aren't even at the threshold to start paying back their student loans!

Edited by Bear Necessities

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Salaries for most professions have taken a £10k haircut not £300-500. Advertised jobs are more likely than ever to be filled at the lower end of the payscale.

Mrs Posh took someone on recently at £20k per annum for a job that was advertised at £25k+ An agency put forward (specced that is normally frowned upon) a candidate who was so well qualified and experienced (albeit Public Sector) that she gave her the opportunity of an interview. I saw her CV and noted that the girl had padded out her CV with a temporary 'Census' job that my wife mistook for an on-going role (so clearly struggling to gain full-time employment) I told her to offer the lower salary. It is maternity cover for six months and will be an olive branch to the girl as she'll hopefully be able to shake off the Public Sector stigma.

I left my job in August to spend some quality time with my young family (haha sound like a politician's excuse) and build up my freelance (illustration) portfolio.

Found out today that the two new guys (fresh from uni) that they got in to replace me and a friend of mine are on 15K O_o Christ Almighty!

(10K less than we were on, not including bonus and overtime, and we were pretty poorly paid considering the skillset needed).

15K for a graduate in 2011! I can't even work out how they can live on it (12.5K take home pay)

But they are gaining valuable work experience and skills that will lead to higher salaries in the future. Of course they could have said I am worth 30K a year and stay on the dole for the rest of their lives.

Many professions, mine included are just giant teetering pyramid schemes. The chaps at the top haven't got the good grace to die or piss off, so those joining at the bottom have to eat dust to keep it going.

Tell that to any youngsters, they might believe you, but what choice do they have? It's either take the shite grad salary or go on the dole.

1993 I went into work and got told we were getting a 3% pay rise , after hitting the roof I calmed down when it was explained to me that inflation was 2.5%. I had never had a rise that was so low in nearly 15 years at work so it was a bit of a shock. The years after that were anywhere between 2.5% and 4% . The 4% being an exception. Lucky for the people where I worked we were coming from a high base where our wages were concerned.

My theroy is that wages have gone up about 1% - 1.5% under the real rate of inflation every year since. Add in the fact that the personnel allowances are also linked to the false low inflation figures ( apart form this year which got snatched back in higher NI ) and workers have had a double whammy building up over the last 18 years , lower real wages and paying tax at lower levels of pay.

Add in the ongoing problem of compaines reducing wages and benefits for new recruits and changing career structures to cut wages when people leave or retire ( which has really been speeding up over the last few years ) and average wages are dropping very fast .

This year 8% inflation is my guess if the real figures were given , against 1% wage rises . No wonder people are struggling.

But they are gaining valuable work experience and skills that will lead to higher salaries in the future. Of course they could have said I am worth 30K a year and stay on the dole for the rest of their lives.

While the single girl who opened her legs and dropped a kid lives a life costing 3x that amount without having to lift a finger.

If we want grads to work and gain valuable work experience and skills about time we made it worth their while, come to that anyone getting off their ar*e and going to work doing anything should have a standard of living but the system has put paid to that.

Had a poke around on some jobs sites today. (I have something lined up btw) and I wasn;t all that surprised that accountancy wages had fallen to £75 a week as they had been turned into apprenticeship schemes.

Anedotally, the girl across the road got a 13K haircut from 27K. She had to move back in with her parents.

Anedotally, the girl across the road got a 13K haircut from 27K. She had to move back in with her parents.

Another adult child having to return to the parents home , becoming more and more common, her and her generation are meant to be the FTB of the next few years . Does make you wonder where it will all end up.

I am old, well past 40, but i will not say how far, maybe in my fifties, but thats my secret, i have worked in Manufacturing all my life................I am skilled/apprentice papers, i am university educated, a good science degree from a good Uni, and a 1st,.....................but maybe me, i have never gotten more than a 4% payrise in one year in all my working life......

I am old, well past 40, but i will not say how far, maybe in my fifties, but thats my secret, i have worked in Manufacturing all my life................I am skilled/apprentice papers, i am university educated, a good science degree from a good Uni, and a 1st,.....................but maybe me, i have never gotten more than a 4% payrise in one year in all my working life......

Were you at work in 1980 ? I got 25% and I worked in a shop , that was the general amount most people got.

What about 1990 ? Fords and the miners got 10% they were the benchmark for most others who folllowed suit . I changed jobs that year both manufacturing companies both the company I left and the one I went to gave 10% across the board.

Were you at work in 1980 ? I got 25% and I worked in a shop , that was the general amount most people got.

What about 1990 ? Fords and the miners got 10% they were the benchmark for most others who folllowed suit . I changed jobs that year both manufacturing companies both the company I left and the one I went to gave 10% across the board.

Yep, not 80, but 90, no where near 10%, but i was on a good whack in 1989, from memory 1990, 37 hours, £230.00 in my palm...................

Same role today pays £390.00 in your palm 37 hours........................

Edited by Panda

Yep, not 80, but 90, no where near 10%, but i was on a good whack in 1989, from memory 1990, 37 hours, £230.00 in my palm...................

Same role today pays £390.00 in your palm 37 hours........................

So the take home pay in that job has gone up 69% in the last 21 years.

As a guess I would say houses went up about 4x between 1990 and 2007 , as for other essentials like energy ,petrol, insurance, fares to work , car tax, and food I would bet they are more than 69%.

The stuff that has gone down are big ticket items , tv's, fridges, freezers, carpets, computers ect.

Left home in 1986 and bought a fridge for £300 same fridge a few years back was £160.

So the take home pay in that job has gone up 69% in the last 21 years.

Too simple £390 DOES NOT buy what £230 did in 1990.

Back in 1990 I remember bus fares being in pennies, cans of coke being 25p, mars bars and crisps being 19p.

Too simple £390 DOES NOT buy what £230 did in 1990.

Back in 1990 I remember bus fares being in pennies, cans of coke being 25p, mars bars and crisps being 19p.

I did not say it did.

I started on 15k as a graduate in 1999 with a small company that had very little income. Skilled professional graduates starting on that in 2011 is poor indeed. Once you factor in increased housing, food and fuel costs then they must be at least 20 years behind myself and peers. And that's the lucky ones who can get jobs.

We've just recruited someone into the same role that I started in september 2008, his salary is almost 10% less than mine was then.

Not only that I got 10% of my first years salary + 6 weeks rent for relocation. He got 4 weeks in a B&B. Tight as a gnats chuff.

My raises over the last few years haven't been all that bad though, relatively. My cost of living increases were 2% in April 2009, 4% April 2010 and 4.5% April 2011

Edited by frozen_out

My raises over the last few years haven't been all that bad though, relatively. My cost of living increases were 2% in April 2009, 4% April 2010 and 4.5% April 2011

Wow. Consistently more than the CPI, you are very lucky. I haven't had a net rise above inflation since 2002, and the company I work for implemented a 10% paycut across the board for over a year from Apr 2009.