House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Why So Anti Facebook?

Julian Assange blasts Facebook appalling spying machine invented

An official WikiLeaks page has attracted 1.72million 'likes' on Facebook.

But that hasn't stopped 'Leaks leader Julian Assange blasting the social networking site as 'the most appalling spying machine ever invented.'

In an interview with Russia Today Assange said Facebook was one of the top tools for the U.S. Government to spy on its citizens.

'Here we have the world's most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations, their communications with each other and their relatives, all sitting within the United States, all accessible to U.S. Intelligence,' he said.

Never understood why people are so anti facebook - everything is tracked, most websites have cookies which track all your internet access for "marketing purposes", your ISP monitors all your internet activity, most countries laws allow them to track all your internet access, any emails etc. Google track your web searches, and record your IP address. Your Wi fi can be hacked easily. No doubt everything is tracked, data mined and profiled.

Facebook is tip of the iceberg.

Admittedly its easier to track things back to your name with facebook, but people assume that they are anonymous on the internet.

Time to get a proxy server service I think.

It's pretty much untrue anyway unless you put everything about yourself on there. My profile has only my current location but not phone number or anything else. Has DOB too but I don't think that's too useful and it only shows as day and month on my public profile. I don't 'check in' anywhere and it doesn't have my relationship status on. Does he think terrorists all plan their attacks on it?

I use mobile 'broadband' and the internet always seems to think I'm in Barnsley....at least that's where it suggests I could get laid tonight.

Lol! My home bb thinks I'm in Aberdeen - actually I'm 600 miles south on the Isle of Wight! That's why I'm changing my ISP.

Aside from all the ways that they index your information and track you, as mentioned above there is also the fact that it is a closed system.

The web was designed to be an open system which enables the sharing of information. Sites like Facebook and Linkedin create silos of data that they obfuscate from anyone else.

Never understood why people are so anti facebook - everything is tracked, most websites have cookies which track all your internet access for "marketing purposes", your ISP monitors all your internet activity, most countries laws allow them to track all your internet access, any emails etc. Google track your web searches, and record your IP address. Your Wi fi can be hacked easily. No doubt everything is tracked, data mined and profiled.

Admittedly its easier to track things back to your name with facebook, but people assume that they are anonymous on the internet.

I use noscript and adblock on firefox, also have cookies disabled and only enable on a site per site basis.

It's amazing how browsing is sped up with a decent adblocker.

It's not easy though, a lot of sites use google's cdn and require jscript/cookies to be enabled, but they are mostly rubbish sites anyway.

Also use this for my wifi key:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Don't use facebook as I don't like another company storing all that data, if I want to speak to old friends I'll just email/IRC/instant message them. Besides, the facebook site is broken to the point of being usableable sometimes.

In the subject on ISPs/email, does anyone remember when Virgin switched over to google for mail and it turned out they had been storing all outgoing mail sent through their smtp servers?

because it is sh!t , i dont understand anyone who has to tell the world when, what they had for breakfast , had a dump or anything , that said i wish i had thought of it as i would not be the humble geezer that did ! :lol:

If you think Facebook is just a harmless bit of fun then you don't understand their business model. I predict a mass exodus when people start to figure it out.

I use mobile 'broadband' and the internet always seems to think I'm in Barnsley....at least that's where it suggests I could get laid tonight.

Are you sure it's not based on other factors? Maybe anybody could get laid in Barnsley tonight?

If you think Facebook is just a harmless bit of fun then you don't understand their business model. I predict a mass exodus when people start to figure it out.

skynet ? :ph34r:

Christ, Myspace left us the legacy of Lily Allen and Adele what the f**k god awful monsters will Facebook leave behind?

Christ, Myspace left us the legacy of Lily Allen and Adele what the f**k god awful monsters will Facebook leave behind?

dont panic lily allen ,s a gonna could not sing to save her life.. adele not so bad but a bit depressing !