House Price Crash Forum

Would You Pay $30 (£18) To Watch A Cinema Released Movie In Your Home?

HOLA441

buy a TV with USB 2.0 technology.

its never been easier.

download Season 4 of Dexter in 10 minutes from torrentz.eu

then stick on pen drive, stick pen drive in TV...WINNING

HD, blu-ray, etc. £0.

i havent bought a DVD (or a cd for that) since i was a teenager and never will again.

more money for concerts and proper days out or funding cinema trips for movies i do wanna see on the big screen.

HOLA442

download Season 4 of Dexter in 10 minutes from torrentz.eu

LOL :) More like 10 hours.

The average broadband speed in the country is about 4 to 6 meg and that's only dragged that far upwards by the existence of cable.

In the non cabled half of the country - about half of them can't even get 4Mbps.

For HD streaming, which is what I think it needs to take off as opposed to the "download first" model I think you need 12Mbps, which is largely cabled areas only (<3% of people can get > 15Mbps via ADSL2+) but with cable you can pick a movie or show on the STB and have it streamed to the TV anyway without having to do any tech yourself. As long as it's a movie or show you want to watch of course. Not sure why they've been so slow to exploit this opportunity.

In this respect, this is the most potentially significant thing to happen to broadband in the last decade perhaps, if it comes together

http://www.ispreview...ural-homes.html

HOLA443
HOLA444

Does it matter if it's 10 minutes or 10 hours? Doesn't take any effort once it's started.

I stream stuff directly from the PC to the TV via a Windows media extender. Have the USB stick approach as a backup ;)

If it was something really rare that I wanted to see, then no it wouldn't matter to me. But I think it would matter to a lot of people in our "have it now" society.

The BT Vision box seems to be an attempt at a hybrid download/streaming model designed to try and provide the service over slow broadband connections via phone lines but the take-up hasn't been great.

HOLA445

They also forget the fact that people still like to congregate with strangers to watch a film, paying or not.

VCD, LD, DVD, Internet HD, home cinemas, every step of the way there have been snake oil salesmen saying that this will replace the cinema. If the studio bosses are stupid enough to believe it, then more fool them.

To save money, instead of paying full price at the usual cinema, people will move towards cheaper viewings at independents, free viewings of old films or outside viewings in parks etc.

If they stopped paying the 'stars' $10.000,000 just to pick up a script and say offer $1 million max - they could worry less about ripping off populations to cover costs.

More diverse 'b' movies could then be made again!

But that sort of thing just won't occur to them.

Archived