House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Amazing Offer In Morrisons To Save A Whole 2P By Buying 2Xbattered Onion Rings

Just been shopping in Morrisons and I was stunned by there discount offer to buy 2 packs of battered onion rings compared to just one. The are retailing for 1 at 76p and the discount deal was 2 for £1.50. I mean what a bargain, buying 2 at full price would have been £1.52, but with the discount the actual saving is 2p.

Are other supermarkets doing the same? Very subtle getting people to buy more for very little discount?

I've also noticed that there quick sale shelf for stuff out of day today has become very expensive.

There appears to be very little discount on this stuff at present, in the past they had some pretty decent offers but recently I've found they aren't really giving a discount. Chicken goujons are normall £1.99 and usually have a buy 2 for £3 deal. Now if you find these in the short date shelf they'll knock 50p off making them £1.49.

Just been shopping in Morrisons and I was stunned by there discount offer to buy 2 packs of battered onion rings compared to just one. The are retailing for 1 at 76p and the discount deal was 2 for £1.50. I mean what a bargain, buying 2 at full price would have been £1.52, but with the discount the actual saving is 2p.

Are other supermarkets doing the same? Very subtle getting people to buy more for very little discount?

I've also noticed that there quick sale shelf for stuff out of day today has become very expensive.

There appears to be very little discount on this stuff at present, in the past they had some pretty decent offers but recently I've found they aren't really giving a discount. Chicken goujons are normall £1.99 and usually have a buy 2 for £3 deal. Now if you find these in the short date shelf they'll knock 50p off making them £1.49.

I've seen offers along the lines of 97p each or 3 for £3. Yes, this is very common.

If you see a lot of people milling around a member of staff in the supermarket, that is normally because they have sussed out that he is the one who is about to re-price all the products they are trying to sell quickly. Sometimes there are a lot of people there.

"Deals" like BOGOF, 3 for 2, 3 for £10 etc are almost always poor value for money. The supermarkets rely on the fact that most people are incapable of thinking in £/kg or £/litre terms so make their purchasing decisions on the basis of brightly coloured stickers. I wish I was joking.

"Deals" like BOGOF, 3 for 2, 3 for £10 etc are almost always poor value for money. The supermarkets rely on the fact that most people are incapable of thinking in £/kg or £/litre terms so make their purchasing decisions on the basis of brightly coloured stickers. I wish I was joking.

I know, sometimes I've ended up buying say the 100g version over the 200g, because the smaller one is better value overall, even though the 200g item has a big sticker on it saying what the offer is.

If you see a lot of people milling around a member of staff in the supermarket, that is normally because they have sussed out that he is the one who is about to re-price all the products they are trying to sell quickly. Sometimes there are a lot of people there.

I call it the RSS

'reduced shelf scrum'

Interest in the reduced shelf is certainly increasing in my local area, particularly at the 'final markdown', usually 1 hr to 45 mins before closing or around 8pm at 24 hr / late night stores .

A new tactic I observed by a veteran RSS'er the other week, was holding onto an item which was not reduced (so grabbing it before the crowd), keeping it in his hand for a few minutes, then asking the member of staff to reduce it for him, so avoiding the scrabble for freshly reduced item.

In this case, it was not that successful as he just thrust it at the staff member without saying anything, who did not like this. The golden rule is not to crowd or pi$$ off the reducer as , they often just walk off for a bit to do something else, so the crowd disperses.

I call it the RSS

'reduced shelf scrum'

Interest in the reduced shelf is certainly increasing in my local area, particularly at the 'final markdown', usually 1 hr to 45 mins before closing or around 8pm at 24 hr / late night stores .

A new tactic I observed by a veteran RSS'er the other week, was holding onto an item which was not reduced (so grabbing it before the crowd), keeping it in his hand for a few minutes, then asking the member of staff to reduce it for him, so avoiding the scrabble for fre3shly reduced item.

In this case it was not that successful as he just thrust it at the staff member without saying anything, who did not like this. The golden rule is not to crowd or pi$$ off the reducer as they often just walk off for a bit to do something else.

....in some shops I have noticed people avoid the reduced items like the plague, maybe they don't want others to see them buy them, or maybe they think they are not good enough for human consumption?....who knows. ;)

Women have the same problem when shopping for clothes & shoes and then never wearing them.

My wife definitely has this problem, we've got a drawer full of Stella glasses that we got for about 5p (can't remember the exact stupidly low price) that she bought. Never used them but they where a bargain. Similar we also have a draw full of crap birthday cards that she won't actually send anyone because they are naff, but bought because they where cheap!!!!! So cheap we can't use them and some have even got Happy 2nd Birthday on etc... so rather limited to who we can send them too...

This must work, this type of promotion. Has it got an official name in the boardrooms?

How about FAGOs?

(Fake, attention grabbing offers)

Last Saturday

Tescos entrance, just inside the automatic barriers

A bag of 5 Doughnuts 60p, two bags for a quid

Saw someone walk past, come back and grab a couple of bags, move on and then return to grab a couple more. BARGAIN

(but to be fair, their appearance suggested that they and the doughnuts were related)

The next line they passed was a display of half priced (but originally overpriced wine). 4 bottles grabbed, one for each bag of doughnuts. CLASS

I've seen offers along the lines of 97p each or 3 for £3. Yes, this is very common.

Last week I was in the supermarket (Asda I think) and 18 packs of Oxo was on special offer. And it was still more expensive per cube than buying packs of 12.

tim

Ratners have a similar deal on their wedding rings.

I'd have thought the criminal foreigner scam-wedding gangs buy them by the dozen - wholesale

A lot of the reduced shelf items tend to be going out of date soon. If, like a good tfh hpcer you have been planning your meals and food purchases, it doesn't make sense to add in these items that need to be consumed soon.

A lot of the reduced shelf items tend to be going out of date soon. If, like a good tfh hpcer you have been planning your meals and food purchases, it doesn't make sense to add in these items that need to be consumed soon.

I use a freezer and a food dehydrator for some and distribute rest to friends who are skint / disabled.

Morrisons today, another test for the nations IQ: Buy 6 Muller Corner yoghurts for £3.29 OR get 2 packs for £2.

Luckily we got the 12 for £2, which is just about the right price for them.

amateur :rolleyes:

You should have got 24 for £4 and dropped 12 in the freezer :)

Yes they are doing the same. I had to double-take yesterday walking past a rack of donuts in Sainsburys. The saving for buying two packs instead of one?

10p

Pack of Sainsbury's "tases the difference" lasagna: 400 gram @ 3.00

Family pack: 710 grams @ 6.00!

And that's before you take advantage of the special offer "buy 2 for 5 pounds" on the smaller size,

tim