House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Have To Share This Mumbles Story With You

I look daily at the EA websites - both each local EA firm's sites and the big ones like RM, Globrix, etc. In fact, I look almost hourly.

If something comes on the market I know about it. Well, almost all as a house in the Mayals came on the market with one EA recently, never appeared for sale in their office or on their site and went for an absolute bargain price. I hope the little old lady in the home now has enough cash to live on from that sale... but that is an aside...

So I look daily. A few weeks ago a house came on near the Mumbles. I liked the look of it. I was interested so much I even drove down to said Mumbles' EA office to arrange a viewing.

"Oh, I just sold that," said the EA.

Me. Stunned. "What do you mean, it only just appeared on your site. I was in here yesterday and it was not listed. How can it have sold so quickly?".

To which I got a rather cocky smug reply that someone had viewed the previous evening and had 'bought it'.

Yeah, sure, I thought.

What is it now - some 2 or 3 weeks later. In Mumbles over the weekend, run into another EA from the same branch who asked me if I had bought a house yet. I replied that I had not and then mentioned the above house.

To which I am told that no one - not one person - has viewed that property yet.

Now, what is the mentality or mindset of the EA who told me that it had sold. It would be bad enough in a booming market but in a dead or dying one.

I have half a mind to go knock on the door of the house owners and tell them my story.

I look daily at the EA websites - both each local EA firm's sites and the big ones like RM, Globrix, etc. In fact, I look almost hourly.

If something comes on the market I know about it. Well, almost all as a house in the Mayals came on the market with one EA recently, never appeared for sale in their office or on their site and went for an absolute bargain price. I hope the little old lady in the home now has enough cash to live on from that sale... but that is an aside...

So I look daily. A few weeks ago a house came on near the Mumbles. I liked the look of it. I was interested so much I even drove down to said Mumbles' EA office to arrange a viewing.

Me. Stunned. "What do you mean, it only just appeared on your site. I was in here yesterday and it was not listed. How can it have sold so quickly?".

To which I got a rather cocky smug reply that someone had viewed the previous evening and had 'bought it'.

Yeah, sure, I thought.

What is it now - some 2 or 3 weeks later. In Mumbles over the weekend, run into another EA from the same branch who asked me if I had bought a house yet. I replied that I had not and then mentioned the above house.

Now, what is the mentality or mindset of the EA who told me that it had sold. It would be bad enough in a booming market but in a dead or dying one.

I have half a mind to go knock on the door of the house owners and tell them my story.

So what did you tell the 2nd EA about what the 1st EA told you? What was their response?

Agree - go see the sellers if you interested in the property

Of course the 1st EA can deny they even had the conversation with you. Any chance they lied to you after any previous encounters? I realise I have probably upset a few local EA's as I refuse to play along with their transparent sales techniques.

So what did you tell the 2nd EA about what the 1st EA told you? What was their response?

Agree - go see the sellers if you interested in the property

Of course the 1st EA can deny they even had the conversation with you. Any chance they lied to you after any previous encounters? I realise I have probably upset a few local EA's as I refuse to play along with their transparent sales techniques.

Yes, I told the second EA what the first one had said... but you don't then get a normal reaction... You get this vague dazed rabbit staring a car in the headlights kind of reaction... then they um and mumble... and then go silent awaiting for you to say something... It is quite bizarre to witness but it works as at that point I feel sorry for them....

I have upset many a local EA. The good ones I am fair with and they are mostly fair with me. I know who the spin merchants are locally.

Yes, I will be passing that house later this week so will stop and knock on the door.

You won't regret it. You'll have established a direct relationship with the vendor, which will put you in a much stronger position if you decide to take it forward...and you'll have demonstrated to the EA that you won't be fobbed off with fairy stories.

You won't regret it. You'll have established a direct relationship with the vendor, which will put you in a much stronger position if you decide to take it forward...and you'll have demonstrated to the EA that you won't be fobbed off with fairy stories.

I don't really want the house, but that is not the point... the point is that I was interested, was/am a potential cash buyer and I was fobbed off by some **** and bull story.

The EA in question is a numpty IMPO as virtually every house I enquire about either is just sold or has people putting offers in on. I personally think that she confuses someone asking about a property, or even putting in an offer, with that property then being sold.

Or it is just bull.

Her boss was only telling me a few weeks back how poor the market generally is in the area so, hey, work that one out.

I don't know what to say :unsure:

No doubt it is because of people like this that us EA's have such a bad rep and it annoys me because it makes the job so much harder when so many people have the mind set that EA's in general are a bunch of muppets. :o

I would personally see the branch manager and have it out with them. Yes you will upset some, but by the sounds of it none of these EA's that you visit or chat with on a regular basis are too keen to help you out although there probably are a couple that you recognise are helpful and may be the ones to find you the property that you want.

I would assume that the bargain sales that don't show up on the market are the ones that the EA's hold back either for theirselves or their friends. If not, then it is almost certainly for investors that they are trying to keep sweet for continued business.

We get investors offering us the world if we can give them the heads up on properties before they hit the market, but I prefer to give everybody an equal chance. If the investor is the one that ends up with the property, then I get a thank you, continued business and the property back to let more often than not. If somebody else buys it, then I make a sale and still have a cash ready investor waiting for the next property.

Possibly the EA that said it was sold expected their friend/investor would buy because they had received the details before it went to the market and siad they will buy. Problem decided against it a few days later or could not raise the funds.

We have an investor buying up 50 properties buy to let in Swansea. Hoping to get them all within 2 years. So far I have showed them a dozen properties and received an offer of £50k on each property although the market values range from £65k to £125k. All offers rejected. They have bought through other EA's though and have got stuck with some major problems including one with a conversion, but no planning permission. Now that they have them ready to let I visited the properties and found out just how bad other letting agents are and these include well established companies.

2 of the properties are next door to each other. One is a 3 bed and one is a 2 bed. The first agent described the 2 bed town house has a 1 bed maisonette!!!!!!

The second agent could not find the property or used this for an excuse at not turning up.

I think he/she will get those properties for 50K eventually - within that 2 year period.

Whilst I still get chatting to the, IMPO, deluded EA I am talking more and more with EAs who tell me just how bad things are in the area.

The latter group are busy trying to get people to drop prices or bump people off to another EA - in the past month quite a few houses that have been on the market for a year or more for silly asking prices are now being marketed, for the same silly asking price, with other EAs. Some of them even ask for MORE than they were on sale for last year... and the year before in some cases.

Yes, there are still plenty of, IMPO, deluded EAs out there but more and more are talking sense. There are a couple in Mumbles who regularly point out houses on their books and tell me openly that the seller has demanded the asking price... but that they have not a hope in hell of getting anywhere near it.

With all due respect it would appear that you have been looking and indeed not found a house for a very long time.The agent involved might have formed the opinion that you are not really serious about ever buying??

With all due respect it would appear that you have been looking and indeed not found a house for a very long time.The agent involved might have formed the opinion that you are not really serious about ever buying??

2 posts - so tell us, which estate agency do you work for? :P

Buying a house is not like buying a pair of shoes or socks. It is the biggest financial decision most people will make, but that doesn't stop some EAs in the area appear to think that people are buying transient items.

Out of interest, I was talking to one senior manager in a large EA chain this week who told me that they have encountered many sellers who simply demand a ludicrous asking price and then refuse to drop from that price at all.

Why? Apparently because they are in so much debt and believe that someone is going to come along and pay their full asking price.

The manager told me that such sellers were deluded and simply did not understand that house prices were falling. The manager went on to quote the latest land registry figures, pointing out that Wales and Swansea were showing some of the biggest fall in actual sold prices anywhere in the UK.

The manager said that house prices in the area were only going one way - down.

Nothing that I did not know, but nice to get it from the horse's mouth.

I am not an agent! but buying houses is actually quite similar to buying most things, if you go to the Porsche showroom and ask for a test drive every Saturday on the basis that you might buy one, after 2 years the salesman might just get a bit fed up and suspect your just another dreamer and cease to be of any assistance to you!

I am not an agent! but buying houses is actually quite similar to buying most things, if you go to the Porsche showroom and ask for a test drive every Saturday on the basis that you might buy one, after 2 years the salesman might just get a bit fed up and suspect your just another dreamer and cease to be of any assistance to you!

Not relevant at all - if you had been posting here long-term you would be fully aware of the massive housing bubble that has existed in the UK in the past few years.

Only a cretin, IMPO, goes out and buys a house when every economic indicator is showing that house prices in the area are going down. I may be many things, but I am not one of those. I am happy for others to be that with regard to buying houses.

Didn't you see yesterdays land registry data about Wales and about Swansea? Even the BBC were screaming that Wales has seen the biggest drop in house SOLD prices.

You would also be aware that the banks are now tightening up mortgages lending and are actually creating a drop in house prices by no longer lending ludicrous amounts on houses. This is now manifesting itself in the actually SOLD prices that the land registry publishes and none of that vested interest nonsense re asking prices.

For someone who claims not to be an EA, you do appear, IMPO, to have either a personal bug-bear with myself or with the housing market in Wales or even in Swansea? Why, otherwise, would you choose to post here?

Back to your car dealership analogy.

The good EAs know who the cash buyers are, the cr*p ones IMPO... Well, I will let you in a bit more on the conversation that I had with the above mentioned EA chain manager.

The manager told me that Swansea had plenty of EAs who were foolishly drooling over people making grandiose offers on houses in the area, especially in Mumbles, and who sometimes offer the full asking price. But, as this manager told me, often such people simply do not have the finances in place nor can they ever get the finance to back up their offers.

Told me numerous tales of people talking the talk in Mumbles, making big offers on houses and then letting everyone in Mumbles know that they had offered the full price on such and such a house... then they scurry away to the bank hoping to get a mortgage... but do not get it because the bank will not lend or they cannot afford it... or simply because they had no intention of following through on the sale... they just wanted to look important 'in the village'... be the source of gossip in the cafe bars...

On the other hand, this manager said, the thing to do was to target the cash buyers who were just like me - careful, prudent, know what we wanted and knew the true value of housing in the area. The manager openly admitted that he/she knew of a dozen people like myself who had sold up a few years ago, who have cash in the bank and who are just waiting to buy... but who know that prices are now going down.

It is very odd for someone to come to this forum and to sprout such negativity about HPCers in their first 2 or 3 posts.

Alas, I am now going to assume you are a troll and add you to my ignore list.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

fair enough! at the end of the day life moves on quite fast so if you want a house just buy one and get on with life and enjoy! (long term who cares if you lose/gain a few grand!)

I'm just curious. Why are you here?

Yeah, sure, I thought.

If you were being really honest with yourself could you understand why the agent could have you labelled as a timewaster?

I have no axe to grind.

Likewise, i had/have no axe to grind!, merely an observation based on reading many of the posts written here over a considerable amount of time.Interesting to labeled a"troll" for expresing a view that someone does not like!

Reading this topic and a few of your posts over time...

I think she just knew showing the house was going to be a complete waste of time

There is no grand conspiracy here...