House Price Crash Forum

Hi,

Does anyone know if such a thing as a Council Housing map/database exists? So I can find which

areas/streets have council houses?

I'm in Surrey (Waverley council) if that helps.

Thanks,

LP

Hi,

Does anyone know if such a thing as a Council Housing map/database exists? So I can find which

Thanks,

LP

2001 Census data has household tenure by areas of geography at ward level, e.g.

http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6174618&c=NE3+1HS&d=14&e=16&g=367626&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&r=0&s=1304419460726&enc=1&dsFamilyId=163

So there were 321 council houses in the ward of West Gosforth in Newcastle upon Tyne in Apr 2001.

Maps of the ward areas are available by clcking on the 'i' in the column heading.

Hi,

Thanks,

LP

Why do you want to know?

Guest sillybear2

I don't want to fork out £300K for a house only to find all my neighbours are getting theirs for free.

:lol:

In that case you also need to go through the Land Registry entry for each house in the street to check whether the mortgage is with NR, B&B, A&L, RBS, HBOS, Lloyds etc. Not to mention unknowns like the Mortgage Help Scheme or whatever they now have in place to prop up delinquent loans, not to mention all the junk the BoE has purchased. Where do you draw the line?

In that case you also need to go through the Land Registry entry for each house in the street to check whether the mortgage is with NR, B&B, A&L, RBS, HBOS, Lloyds etc. Not to mention unknowns like the Mortgage Help Scheme or whatever they now have in place to prop up delinquent loans, not to mention all the junk the BoE has purchased. Where do you draw the line?

I agree, but there are only so many hours in the day!

I don't want to fork out £300K for a house only to find all my neighbours are getting theirs for free.

You mean they are paying rent (albeit subsidized rent) ? What about if you lived in an street populated by sons/daughters of politicians, millionaires, celebrities etc? Would you still be annoyed that they got (from their parents) their properties for free?

You have the choice yourself whether to buy or to rent. If the area you're looking at has rents too high, go elsewhere B)

It would be a good thing imo if we had a lot more property available for decent rents. Then the price of buying houses wouldn't be so inflated. But those who want to earn unearned income from constant house inflation, wouldn't be happy...

Oh....okay!

You may be able to get this information from your local council, we managed to get a complete list of address' when we were fighting against transfer to a housing association....freedom of information act.

But usually you can tell which are council just by looking, they all have the same plastic doors and the house numbers are the cheap ones as sold at DIY stores!

+1

At least council house neighbours will be evicted if they are nasty scum. Private owners and tenants are much harder to get rid of.

But usually you can tell which are council just by looking, they all have the same plastic doors and the house numbers are the cheap ones as sold at DIY stores!

Might this not just mean the inhabitants are cheapskates like myself?

Good tip though, I'll look out for that!

What about if you lived in an street populated by sons/daughters of politicians, millionaires, celebrities etc? Would you still be annoyed that they got (from their parents) their properties for free?

I sure would. I would like to avoid them too.

Ideally I would live amongst other wage slaves like myself, so we could exchange resigned looks as we wearily headed off for the office at 6.30am.

I sure would. I would like to avoid them too.

Ideally I would live amongst other wage slaves like myself, so we could exchange resigned looks as we wearily headed off for the office at 6.30am.

If you can afford a £300k house, I am sorry to say that even if your neighbours are buying their own homes without welfare assistance, they are likely to be public sector wage slaves. They are a higher class of slave, and look down on those who produce useful stuff for less take home pay in the private sector.

That won't tell you about Housing Association properties, or buy to let properties funded by housing benefit.

Might this not just mean the inhabitants are cheapskates like myself?

Good tip though, I'll look out for that!

Yes that's true but it usually works and remember many tenants exercised the RTB 20 years ago (very few recently) and so wouldn't have plastic doors etc. I delivered leaflets to council houses in

many villages around this area and had no real probems and just used the lists as a back-up.

If you're such a cheapskate have you considered buying ex-council yourself!? Non-estate types could be a bargain, you'd just need to be lucky. What you really need is one with a big garden on the end!

If you're such a cheapskate have you considered buying ex-council yourself!? Non-estate types could be a bargain, you'd just need to be lucky. What you really need is one with a big garden on the end!

Yes we're looking at everything really.

Amazing how little you get around here for 1/3 million quid though, and I really like it here so don't want to move away.

I'm looking for the biggest garden possible (and don't care about the house). Unfortunately my wife is the opposite!

Yes we're looking at everything really.

Amazing how little you get around here for 1/3 million quid though, and I really like it here so don't want to move away.

I'm looking for the biggest garden possible (and don't care about the house). Unfortunately my wife is the opposite!

I see.....I 'spose a non-estate ex-council place would would be good and could save you perhaps 50 to 100k. Most houses tend to have much larger than average gardens, I've got one myself, fortunately the back garden faces south and is an absolute paradise at this time of year. The neighbours are great here, really respectful of our privacy....anyway, good luck finding a place.