House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Snip From Property Development Forum

http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/my-first-property-development-project-4158.html

Old 26-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Re: My first Property Development project

I have been in property development for 10 years now. never looked back. i would advise that if you are starting now, you really need to be a cash buyer. its too much of a risk otherwise.

I've bought, refurbished and sold on straight away but that's becoming increasingly difficult as lenders are apparently not lending on properties where the seller has owned it less than 6 months

http://www.homemove....nions-4740.html

I like the last comment about new carpet and interior repaint not adding value just making it easier to sell.

I think many punters have confused house prices in general going up (2000-07) with the value of "improvements" they made to the homes increasing the price they got.

Correlation does not imply causation.

It will unfortunately take several more years to keep unwinding these notions.

It will unfortunately take several more years to keep unwinding these notions.

Sarah Beeny said on several property ladders "you'd have made the same amount of money doing nothing"

Would be nice to see a compilation of them all.

Sarah Beeny said on several property ladders "you'd have made the same amount of money doing nothing"

Aye, I remember an episode of HUTH where a couple had spent a year's worth of weekends making a 400 mile round trip to realise a profit of less than 10K. They could have saved the petrol money and taken on Saturday jobs instead.

The Saturday telegraph used to do a how much does doing X to a property increase its value every 2 years or so (but haven't seen anything recently) they always threw in at least one way to loose money now I suspect that 5 of their 10 would be money makers.

I suspect most houses have had most of the stuff on those lists done to them anyway (central heating, double glazing, roof insulation, conservatory, kitchen/bathroom refreshes.) Ripping out the boiler and installing a new one should be viewed as maintenance cost not an investment that should increase the sale price per se.

Like seasonality calculations they need to have done a do nothing baseline for comparison purposes.

I ended up watching 5 minutes of the young loaded buyer programme on BBC 3 last night, the reaction of one of the cheshire girls friends to a vase full of twigs on the EA website was amazing - I now see why twigs are the most cost effective way to increase the value of a property :lol:

I ended up watching 5 minutes of the young loaded buyer programme on BBC 3 last night, the reaction of one of the cheshire girls friends to a vase full of twigs on the EA website was amazing - I now see why twigs are the most cost effective way to increase the value of a property :lol:

I saw a woman buying some on the car boot yesterday - was so tempted to ask if she was selling her house.

:)