House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

So The Holidays Are Over...

This week EAs will return to their offices under no illusion as to the state of their local markets.

At the same time, this weekend just gone, as Polly Toynbee pointed out on a Newsnight programme at the start of April on the economy, will have been the first wage packet when people saw less money and increased taxation. When people have seen the first results of the reduced benefits.

What now? What lies ahead?

Checkmate? Or just wishful HPC thinking?

A 3 day week followed by a 4 day week?

Why would people not be looking forward to work tomorrow?

Less money? Well inflation isn't a problem say the boe. Food is nice and cheap and petrol isn't £2 a l yet.

Polly Toynbee pointed out on a Newsnight programme at the start of April on the economy, will have been the first wage packet when people saw less money and increased taxation

The lovely Polly, so far behind the curve, she makes Richard Littlejohn look good. Who can forget that infamous TV segment?

Anyways, I can only speak for myself and the low paid proles I associate with but I think we form the majority of people and the few straw polls I've seen/heard seem to indicate we got a little bit more money net in April than March on the same gross.

This wasn't meant to be a thread about the pros and cons of Polly Toynbee or about whether you love her, hate her, worship her or loathe her.

It was merely using the comment she made on Newsnight to pinpoint a time - this weekend just gone - whether many in the Public would see a net loss in their pay packets.

Silly me wanting to debate the economy and what affect the post May holiday might now have on house prices.

This wasn't meant to be a thread about the pros and cons of Polly Toynbee or about whether you love her, hate her, worship her or loathe her.

It was merely using the comment she made on Newsnight to pinpoint a time - this weekend just gone - whether many in the Public would see a net loss in their pay packets.

Silly me wanting to debate the economy and what affect the post May holiday might now have on house prices.

I know quite a few low paid people who are around £30 a month better off due to raising of the tax threshold.

Although they are all sub £16k a year mainly part time.

And i said i thought what she said/you suggested was wrong. My straw poll anecdote includes bordering on higher rate tax payers so not just min wage lackies.

You need to find another 'trigger'

I suppose tax credits change this month but I didn't see them anyway, the wife received them. She has't complained yet.

Last edit, I thought sunshine was supposed to cheer you up TMT? You did get some in the **** end of the world didn't you?

Good weather, awesome bank holiday period, dare I say it, a royal wedding will keep the sheeple feel good factor running for a couple of months, it is for me. Plus Britain's got talent is back on so life carries on

Edited by daiking

This week EAs will return to their offices under no illusion as to the state of their local markets.

Ha, they had to work yesterday - I know, I viewed a house.

I know quite a few low paid people who are around £30 a month better off due to raising of the tax threshold.

Schroedingers better off?

a little more money coming in (£7.00 per week), offset by 30% higher petrol, food going up very fast A: due to World commodity prices and B: transport costs here,..

a little more money going out.

What IS the net result?

Guest eight

It's a good point.

It's often stated here that if you're a higher rate taxpayer then you are the highest earning 5% of the population, or whatever. So it stands to reason that more gained from this tax tinkering than lost out, even if the amounts were only small.

eight

You should have gone with a discussion about gold instead :rolleyes:

I`m just pleased to back at work. Love my kids but Jeez, they ain`t half expensive to keep busy :lol:

It's a good point.

It's often stated here that if you're a higher rate taxpayer then you are the highest earning 5% of the population, or whatever. So it stands to reason that more gained from this tax tinkering than lost out, even if the amounts were only small.

eight

....every little helps.....spend it wisely and there is a good possibility that it could double. ;)

Returning to topic, I can't see the end of a few bank holidays making bu*gar all difference. The biggest financial shock in history and it hardly dented the uphill trajectory of house prices.

Returning to topic, I can't see the end of a few bank holidays making bu*gar all difference. The biggest financial shock in history and it hardly dented the uphill trajectory of house prices.

I sense more realism out there. In my part of London, properties that would have been initially marketed last year at £700K plus are now sub-£700K. The lack of buyers has made agents more conservative in their valuations, and some vendors are taking heed. Property normally booms around here at this time of year, but whereas last year no decent 3/4 bed semi took too long to sell, this year they are stubbornly remaining on the market.