House Price Crash Forum

If You Found £120 In An Evelope On A Bus Or Tram

HOLA441

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/young_cousins_show_honesty_is_the_best_policy_1_3340637

TWO young cousins who found an envelope of cash on a tram and handed it into police have been awarded certificates of commendation for their honesty.

Benjamin Sibanda, aged 12, and his 14-year-old cousin Larissa Andrews found £120 as they made their way home after a trip to Meadowhall.

The honest pair took the money to the inquiry desk at South Yorkshire Police HQ in Snig Hill and handed it in.

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “A 14-year-old girl, who had been on her way to Meadowhall with friends to spend her birthday money has since claimed the money. She was heartbroken to think that she had lost such a large amount of cash.”

Be honest how many on here would have handed the cash in?

If there wasn't any identifying information on it or in a purse with some ID I wouldn't hand it in. She's a very lucky girl to get the money back.

HOLA442

Since I don't travel by public transport I would never face such a situation.

However I know people who do, back in 2008 there was a Chinese bloke my dad knows as an acquaintance left £40,000 in £20 notes in the back of a taxi.

He didn't report it!

HOLA443

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/young_cousins_show_honesty_is_the_best_policy_1_3340637

If there wasn't any identifying information on it or in a purse with some ID I wouldn't hand it in. She's a very lucky girl to get the money back.

How many would trust the police to hand it over if they did hand it in? I think people will generally 'do the right thing' if they believe that others will do the same. This is why the current trend of expecting morals and responsibility to filter up from the bottom of society won't work.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I would. But I'd make sure it got logged in an official way so if after 3 months it didn't get claimed I could have it.

I know someone who handed in a purse at Asda and got the most lovely letter sent to her from the lady whose purse it was.. No financial reward would have made her feel like that.

HOLA447
HOLA448

How many would trust the police to hand it over if they did hand it in? I think people will generally 'do the right thing' if they believe that others will do the same. This is why the current trend of expecting morals and responsibility to filter up from the bottom of society won't work.

A few yrs ago my daughter lost her purse at Waterloo during the height of the evening rush hour. Assuming it had been nicked from her bag (somewhat careless over closing it properly) she cancelled ccs etc.

Following day, on the offchance she checked at Waterloo lost property. And lo, some kind soul had handed it in, intact.

TBH we were flabbergasted, but it did restore faith in human nature.

I think I'd hand in £120 if I found it on a bus, if only because I'd feel horribly guilty if I didn't. And 'Do as you would be done by', and all that...

Can't tell what I'd do if I were seriously hard up and that £120 might seem like a gift from heaven, though.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

How hypocritical are we as a nation?

We try to teach our kids to be honest, and yet the very reason most of us have found our way to the HPC website, is because the country is run by corrupt, thieving, amoral, fraudulent, corrupt politicians and banksters.

It defines the fabric of our society.

And the Police, and every other arm of government is implicated in this deciet, dishonesty, theft.

They all profit from this This 'Malum In se'. [Great term to describe it]

An act that is evil or wrong in itself, but is not prohibited. [Malum Prohibitum]

[a very simple example, would be the millions of pounds in profits that the police make from charging for Criminal Records Bureau Checks. The police should not be making profits. They are taxpayer funded. ]

[Another would be our governmnet allowing the banks to rob us blind. To create money out of thin air]

I know one or two very successful utterly ruthless, dishonest, completely amoral businessmen, who were raised in Care.

Maybe we should be teaching our children the truth?

That dishonesty, deciet, theft, are the real values which define the UK?

That way, they will not be such a bitter pill, or hard truth, when they discover it for themselves?

Maybe if thats how all children were raised, as adults, they would try to stop the littany of injustices which define our society. GREAT Britain? Pull the other one.....

Well done to the kids who handed it in.

'The love of money is the root of all kinds of Evil'

HOLA4411

I've seen US documentaries, where the police do this deliberately.

Leave wallets in airports, then if the person who finds it leaves the building without handing it in, they are arrested and charged.

Very very low if you ask me.

HOLA4412

Leave wallets in airports, then if the person who finds it leaves the building without handing it in, they are arrested and charged.

My friend got nicked for keeping a camcorder that he found in an airport. It had been left there for quite some time. Very foolish of him not to hand it in but he was dealt with pretty severely for employing the old finders keepers method.

HOLA4413

My friend got nicked for keeping a camcorder that he found in an airport. It had been left there for quite some time. Very foolish of him not to hand it in but he was dealt with pretty severely for employing the old finders keepers method.

Aye known as theft by finiding in the UK IIRC. Almost came a cropper to that myself. And I didn't even have it in my posession. I just used the object in question and was honest with the Police that I had.

Came to a slap on the wrist in the end - however I was looking at a criminal record. For simply using something that someone else had found and not handed in. If it happens again I think I will be a little less honest with the coppers. Nice the Law can have such an effect on people. :(

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

In the street, no. Somewhere like a tram where there could be a reasonable chance the owner could reclaim it then I'd consider it.

Same here. I've found £40 in the street with no one in sight and kept it because it could have come from anywhere. Found a fiver on a shop floor and handed it in.

HOLA4416

I walked past an ATM recently, it was beeping like mad, there was no one around. It was about 8:15pm, I had just finished work.

I looked and noticed £100 poking out and grabbed it in sheer disbelief.

I then attracted the attention of a man and woman walking past and they gave me bank's hotline number. The bank suggested handing in the money the next day. I waited at the ATM for 20 minutes in the hope the owner would come back.

Next day at lunchtime I jumped on the tube train to take me to the bank's branch as suggested - and it immediately got taken out of service due to a fault!

Next day I went to another branch nearer only find that was closed for a staff meeting!

Having made honest attempts to hand the money back, I gave up and kept it. Returning it was becoming too much of a bloody nuisance.

HOLA4417

Agreed, but if people know they do this and it could be a trap, at least they're more likely to hand something in.

Which is surely the point of the exercise.

HOLA4418
Guest eight

Just out of interest, what do you think of policemen who pose as 11 year old girls in internet chatrooms?

eight

HOLA4419

I walked past an ATM recently, it was beeping like mad, there was no one around. It was about 8:15pm, I had just finished work.

I looked and noticed £100 poking out and grabbed it in sheer disbelief.

Having made honest attempts to hand the money back, I gave up and kept it. Returning it was becoming too much of a bloody nuisance.

Hmm.... had you left it a couple of seconds the money would have gone back in to the machine and the persons account would have been re-credited with the money.

For me this is the worst example, you knew where the money came from, the exact amount and the exact time. You could have handed it in to a police station with all the details.

HOLA4420

What about you?.....would you hand it in? ;)

HOLA4421

What about you?.....would you hand it in? ;)

I thought I clarified that below, if I could identify where the money came from yes I would hand in it. No identification then I'm afraid I'd just keep it. See below post (looks like I have a time machine I know what's coming next).

HOLA4422

Same here. I've found £40 in the street with no one in sight and kept it because it could have come from anywhere. Found a fiver on a shop floor and handed it in.

I've found notes in the street with people in sight, however I had no idea who dropped and it's not something you can ask people have you just dropped £20?

However I've been in pubs and seen people drop notes that they haven't realised and I've picked it up and given it them back.

HOLA4423

I am all out of trust so wouldnt hand it in.

If I found it in the street then I would keep it but on a bus there is a chance that the owner could recover it.

I wouldnt trust the monkeys in the bus station office though anymore than I would the coppers so I would ring the bus station and tell them that I found something on the bus and if anyone asks about a loss on the bus then to give me a call.

HOLA4424
Guest eight

I am all out of trust so wouldnt hand it in.

If I found it in the street then I would keep it but on a bus there is a chance that the owner could recover it.

I wouldnt trust the monkeys in the bus station office though anymore than I would the coppers so I would ring the bus station and tell them that I found something on the bus and if anyone asks about a loss on the bus then to give me a call.

Bought twelve packets of wipes in Lidl yesterday (friend just had a baby). Got home to find the till monkey had only rung through one. Felt surprisingly bad about it. Am I morally in the clear since my gain was only due to the incompetence of a representative of a faceless corporation?

eight

HOLA4425

Bought twelve packets of wipes in Lidl yesterday (friend just had a baby). Got home to find the till monkey had only rung through one. Felt surprisingly bad about it. Am I morally in the clear since my gain was only due to the incompetence of a representative of a faceless corporation?

eight

Bearing in mind that their profit is in terms of hundreds of millions a year and that said profit is obscene at best then I wouldnt worry about it or feel remotely guilty tbh. It probably doesnt even amount to what you have been overcharged at the tills or duped by offers that dont ring up at the till over the years.

Archived