House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hirop

Budenburg, Woodford Road, Altrincham

Hello folks, looking for opinion or experience of the Budenburg complex in Altrincham. I was out cycling today down the canal toward Lymm and passed these on the way and was impressed by them (visually atleast). Never knew about them before and they really are quite striking from the outside. Was not so impressed with £180K asking price for 2 beds - obviously at that price point you can be buying a 3-bed house in the area, and really, a house a heck of a lot closer to manchester as well.

Reading on t'internet makes a lot of hoo-ha about the design of them, and the pics on various listing seem like better than rabbit hutch proportions.

49192_2304_BUDENBERG_H2_IMG_09_0000_max_620x414.jpg

(Cynical hat on)

It's Broadheath, they'll have a limited 'market' and I've seen quite a number of these on the market for long periods over several years.

If you like the 'Splash' urban retro chic cool thing and the use of the word 'Haus' in the marketing then perhaps worth a look. Doesn't do anything for me at all - But then probably 95% of development in Manc in the last 10 years has precisely the same emotional impact on me.

I'd guess that a bunch of them were snapped up off plan as BTLs as well, so if you are interested perhaps look for distressed owners, get them on the hook and haggle the ar5e off them.

p.s. It's woodfield rd - to aid googlers

(Cynical hat off)

Yeah, luvvely. Especially the views over Atlantic st. retail park. Where do I sign?

Edit: Or for similar money (after you've 'negotiated') there's tons of stuff like this just over the road

http://www.rightmove...y-31711352.html

or this

http://www.rightmove...y-15895260.html

or if you prefer a flat, £200k gets you 2 beds in a period prop. in the smart part of town. Sadly, no canal or industrial/retail park tho :(

http://www.rightmove...y-18291951.html

Edited by Red Karma

I think they make no sense as a place to buy, as I couldn't imagine it being anything more than a fun distraction for a year. I need a friend who lives there as I often think the higher flats with roof gardens would make a great place to spend a sunny weekend with a good group of friends, a stacked bbq and a fridge full of Pimm's ingredients. I imagine the views are pretty good as you can see the top of the buildings for miles around.

There's a rare 4 bed flat up for rental at the moment that's been on since early January.

http://www.rightmove...y-32131439.html

http://www.rightmove...y-28869328.html

The canal area around there could really do with some regeneration, this place might not be to everyone's design taste, but it's much better than the decaying warehouse next door. The tow path on the other side of the canal could do with widening and tidying as well, it might be a good area for Our Altrincham Big Tidy Up to visit. http://www.ouraltrincham.org/ (see all you litter pickers in a few weeks' time :)).

Architecturally I think they are distinctive. Buts thats a matter of taste, and different strokes for different folks and all that. What I would say is as they do not look of "our time" and to me appear as quite distinctive, I'd think they stand a better chance of not ageing terribly. Again, that is an subjective opinion.

i certainly agree that you can get a house within that negotiating range for the price and they make infinetely more sense. If the price of these flats reflected that I think I would watch out for them, but as they don't, I won't. There are 2 x 3-bed semi's on lawrence road in that 180K(ish) price point, thats about 500 yards from these. i would be good to know of build quality and fees (the gardens were imacculate today) etc for the development to get the rounded picture. At the price they are relative to larger houses it certainly reeks of "living the lifestyle" - never a far-sighted reason to spend nearly 200K in my book. Why not just spend the 200K and live in the city if the lifestyle image is that important - save yourself a metro ride every day.

Broadheath does not bother me, I grew up in Govan in Glasgow and my personal experience is that as long as you don't live right in the lions den (so to speak), if you are on the periphery of a occasionally rougher area, once you lock your door, it very seldom, if ever, comes to your door. Too much gets made of proximety to rough areas. From an resell point of view it is more relevant than a homemaking point of view.

I think these are indicative of the problem in the house market right now, just a number of 10's of thousands more expensive than these realistically should be given their geography. I just would not expect to pay city centre flat prices to live 12 miles from the city centre, and certainly not when I could buy a house around the corner for the same price range. And another thing, who the **** rents a 1400 pcm 4 bed flat in altrincham, completely mental?

I agree Hirop, Broadheath is hardly Govan. I think it gets a worse press than it actually deserves just because its neighbouring areas are SO upmarket. If you lived here, you would have a mild "seige mentality" wherever it was located - just from the design of the accomodation.

Obviously the picture shown is taken from the best possible marketing angle. Surprised no-one has mentioned the wacking great sub-station / transformer that just sits below it (at the back of Atlantic Timber). Many a day I have driven past and heard a deep static noise being emitted - would certainly ruin those Pimms soaked BBQ's.

There seems to be a steady supply of these properties up for sale / let (I suspect most of the rentals are just sellers who can't sell)

I think they make no sense as a place to buy, as I couldn't imagine it being anything more than a fun distraction for a year. I need a friend who lives there as I often think the higher flats with roof gardens would make a great place to spend a sunny weekend with a good group of friends, a stacked bbq and a fridge full of Pimm's ingredients. I imagine the views are pretty good as you can see the top of the buildings for miles around.

Glad someone else likes them. I actually suggested to my wife that should we fail to find a suitable house this year we make a low ball (rental) offer on a 3 bedder. She looked at me as if I'd lost my mind.

Having spent the past 6 years waving to double Decker bus passengers as they thunder past the low rise flats on stretford road in Hulme, some of you south Mancunians have an even greater sense of entitlement than I :P

There are groups for Budenberg on Facebook. The residents are not positive. There is a community, in a together-in-adversity way:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Budenberg-Residents/265911512411

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2337863183&v=wall

As you stand on the canal side looking across, listen to the wind howling in the chasm between the buildings, then to the hum of the big electricity station behind you. Its a little slice of inner city apocalypse moved to Alty.

There are now decent semis on the posher side of Manchester Rd for just under £200K now. And closer to the town center and the Navi Rd tram stop.

There are groups for Budenberg on Facebook. The residents are not positive. There is a community, in a together-in-adversity way:

http://www.facebook....ts/265911512411

http://www.facebook....37863183&v=wall

As you stand on the canal side looking across, listen to the wind howling in the chasm between the buildings, then to the hum of the big electricity station behind you. Its a little slice of inner city apocalypse moved to Alty.

There are now decent semis on the posher side of Manchester Rd for just under £200K now. And closer to the town center and the Navi Rd tram stop.

Exactly.

Broadheath does not bother me, I grew up in Govan in Glasgow and my personal experience is that as long as you don't live right in the lions den (so to speak), if you are on the periphery of a occasionally rougher area, once you lock your door, it very seldom, if ever, comes to your door. Too much gets made of proximety to rough areas. From an resell point of view it is more relevant than a homemaking point of view.

Hirop, I think if you re-read my post you will find it's you rather than me that has a hang up about 'rougher areas' and made comparison's to Govan. I simply pointed out it's in the middle of a retail park.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Budenberg-Residents/265911512411

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2337863183&v=wall

I can imagine the frisson of excitement from feeling like you're in "The Wire" so understand that people would pay to live there. Obviously what a good price would be is something for debate.

Some people seen't going to settle for a dull, boring, sensible house just because its "better value". Market is full of mugs.

...There seems to be a steady supply of these properties up for sale / let (I suspect most of the rentals are just sellers who can't sell)

There are suprisingly few resales showing on the Land Registry, I can only make out 3 with 2 transactions showing.

Apartment 2107 - 05/12/2006 £127,200 resold 21/12/2007 £56,500

Apartment 2109 - 05/12/2006 £127,200 resold 16/05/2008 £72,500

Apartment 2553 - 24/08/2007 £240,000 resold 31/01/2011 £128,500

I'm sure some will also have gone through repossession so won't be showing, but even so, that's a very small number of resales.

Some flats have zero sales showing as well, like the 4 bed flat I posted, so I wonder how many Urban Splash still own.

There are suprisingly few resales showing on the Land Registry, I can only make out 3 with 2 transactions showing.

Because no-one wants to buy them.

Rightmove carrying 6 for sale at present (drawn a quick map - not all are listed on the same location). When I searched for rentals I gave up counting after 15 - people aren't queuing up to live here. Shame really, as architecturally they are stunning, and if they had been built on the other side of Alty with views over the Cheshire plains, they could have been one of the most desirable addresses round here...

Stephanie KotallaAfter 2.5 years my Budenberg years are coming to an end on Friday and neither the pigeons nor the arguing neighbours, lack of tv and/or internet drove me away - it is time to go back home. I will miss this designer prison containing my uebercool pad - although the no BBQ rule REALLY sucks!

Looks like the Budenberg Nazis have banned BBQ's howarden ! Looks like its just the glass of Pimms ;)

I just spotted a flat here come on the market today and this is one of the marketing photos!!

http://www.rightmove...y-37327853.html

It appears to be a lift shaft, on three levels.

c. £60-70k wouldn't offend me.

If you cross over the canal to the tow path you can walk/cycle up to Dunham, into the park and down to the Swan for a nice pint.

Just try and pretend you're not in the middle of Broadheath industrial estate.

It appears to be a lift shaft, on three levels.

c. £60-70k wouldn't offend me.

If you cross over the canal to the tow path you can walk/cycle up to Dunham, into the park and down to the Swan for a nice pint.

Just try and pretend you're not in the middle of Broadheath industrial estate.

Bit late to the party but heard a tale back in Novemeber of someone who'd just bought a repo in here. Still paying £100k+ though.

Trafford Council is selling some land.

For Sale by Tender - Site of Former 23-49 Woodfield Road, Altrincham.

The site has outline planning consent for 8 residential units subject to s.106 contribution of £14,818.94 - reduction of £310 per appropriate tree planted onsite up to a maximum of £7440.

http://www.trafford....CE-855B3F062BDC

Edit nevermind, must be old because the tender date ended 30th July 2012.

Edited by Venger