House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deckard

South Wales Council Workers Take 888 Years Off On The Sick

10 days each doesn't sound too bad, considering there wil be a few people who really skew the average with a more serious condition that keeps them away longer.

And to think I'm bored of Jeremy Kyle after 2 days

I can't stand 2 seconds of the ghastly show. In fact, if Al Quaeeda are reading and are trying to think of a revenge attack target, please blow up the Jeremy Kyle show.

Council workers reguarly see sick days as an addition to holiday. Can they still take four days off come back on the Friday and not have to provide a Doctors note?

Council workers reguarly see sick days as an addition to holiday. Can they still take four days off come back on the Friday and not have to provide a Doctors note?

I was able to do the same working for a large private sector multinational.

When I worked at the DWP there were a few serial players of the system. They'd take just under 6months of paid sick leave and return for a week then go sick again on purpose to get a warning and an action plan where their sickness was monitored for a further 6months after which their record was clear for a 'rinse and repeat'. I only worked there for a few years but it was obvious to others who worked there when the cheats were going to go sick. They could predict almost down to the day when that person would be a 'no show' in the office. Of course this made it even harder for the rest of us to take genuine sickness as the target was nearly always exceeded with an average if 12days each per annum where the reality was we rarely if ever took sick.

My average is 0.6 days a year over my working life. And in no one year have I ever used up my full holiday leave.

If I worked in an organisation with this going on I think I'd leave pretty soon or go on the sick with depression over the state of my fellow employees.

I can't stand 2 seconds of the ghastly show. In fact, if Al Quaeeda are reading and are trying to think of a revenge attack target, please blow up the Jeremy Kyle show.

Jeremy Kyle is a wind up.....pathetic form of entertainment, unwatchable. :ph34r:

My average is 0.6 days a year over my working life. And in no one year have I ever used up my full holiday leave.

If I worked in an organisation with this going on I think I'd leave pretty soon or go on the sick with depression over the state of my fellow employees.

Have you got a medal from anyone yet?

Have you got a medal from anyone yet?

Disingenuous sick leave affects the rest of the team, most people can tell if it is genuine or not, others more often than not will have to cover their work...it makes the workplace even more stressful when you return....can turn into a vicious circle....unless it is a means to an end. ;)

Disingenuous sick leave affects the rest of the team, most people can tell if it is genuine or not, others more often than not will have to cover their work...it makes the workplace even more stressful when you return....can turn into a vicious circle....unless it is a means to an end. ;)

I highlighted the bit about never using full holiday leave. I can't imagine why anyone thinks that would be something to boast about.

I highlighted the bit about never using full holiday leave. I can't imagine why anyone thinks that would be something to boast about.

...Some may think it will give them a better chance of promotion, showing they are more dedicated, more worthy than the rest....but this of course is wrong....everyone should take all their holiday entitlement....it is not only good for the worker but also good for the employer. ;)

It wasn't a boast, just wondering why people out there feel they need to take sick ON TOP of allocated leave, its always seemed plenty to me! My aim this year will be to use them up... I failed by 3 days last year as I didn't have much to do around the end of the year and didn't want to squeeze them in amongst everyone else's days off just for the sake of it.

(but then again I don't take 2 long haul holidays a year - if I did I would use my 20days for those alone and have none left for other things like job interviews)

10 days each doesn't sound too bad, considering there wil be a few people who really skew the average with a more serious condition that keeps them away longer.

********. 10 days a year each? I'm self employed, guess how many days off sick i've had in the last 10 years?

********. 10 days a year each? I'm self employed, guess how many days off sick i've had in the last 10 years?

I presume there are benefits to being self employed rather than employed by someone else?

Your colleagues must hate you for making them look bad.

Nobody ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd spent more time at work".

Nobody ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd spent more time at work".

No but i bet a few employers said as they went bust "I wish my employees had spent more time at work" and same goes for me as a tax payer when public servants take the piss.

This is no joke, next time you're waiting 5 hours at A+E and everyone is blaming it on cuts remember the amount of people who are being paid but aren't there. If everyone was working with the terms that every self employed person does there would be a 90% cut in lost days. Guaranteed.

No but i bet a few employers said as they went bust "I wish my employees had spent more time at work"

Maybe they should have done more to keep them at work?

Maybe they should have done more to keep them at work?

Paid them more? Or remove their sickness charity payouts? From your previous posts i can guess.

I agree.

Multiplying this up by the number of staff to produce a really big number for a headline, is just silly.

tim

Paid them more? Or remove their sickness charity payouts? From your previous posts i can guess.

Yes, I'm sure you have me all figured out. It's a market, tough. Some employers seem to think employees should be grateful for a job while some employees think their company can't possibly do without them. Both are right or wrong depending on where they are in the business cycle - whether labour is scarce or not.

You'll never get any more from your employees than you offer them in return - it's a business deal, why should they offer more? Any additional loyalty that you think you deserve is fantasy - if you really want them to be a 'team player' and come in when they're sick like you do, then cut them in on an equal share of the business.

I don't see that happening, though, do you?

If everyone was working with the terms that every self employed person does there would be a 90% cut in lost days. Guaranteed.

:lol:

Oh I agree - we should all be working in co-operatives with an equal share in the business. But of course those weren't exactly the 'terms' you meant, were they?