House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chavlar7722

Kitchen Downlighters - Led Replacement

Hi Guys, Not related to the price of my house, But related to my house never-the-less

We recently moved into a house with a large number of recessed halogen downlighters,

I know how much they cost to run and wnat to replace them with LED's, but its a minefield out there with all the different options and variations.

I got some of eBay to try, but somewhat predictably they were cheap crap and the light was hideous !.

Has anyone actually tried them ?

Gav

Get an owl or similar meter and turn everything off. (worth getting for checking how much everything uses)

Or read the W label on them and x by the number in a room.

Hi Guys, Not related to the price of my house, But related to my house never-the-less

We recently moved into a house with a large number of recessed halogen downlighters,

I know how much they cost to run and wnat to replace them with LED's, but its a minefield out there with all the different options and variations.

I got some of eBay to try, but somewhat predictably they were cheap crap and the light was hideous !.

Has anyone actually tried them ?

Gav

Hi Chavier.

hope this helps replaced 10 GU10 bulbs in my kitchen with grade A led 's now i use 50watts instead of 500 they are as bright as my old ones and have an approx 50,000hr life (5yrs) The ones i bought are warm white which are great on my ivory coloured units a bright soft instant light.Contacted admin@eco-led-bulbs.co.uk

ithink they supply bayonet bulbs as well.

Cheers tez

I've got about 48 of these in my house (though MR16 rather than GU10) these cover the kitchen, 3 bathrooms and 2 toilets)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXERGI-Hyperbright-Light-Flood-2700-3500k/dp/B004E75PJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304719151&sr=8-1

All seem reliable, I've had them for almost 2 years and no failures and they save about £30 per month on electricity, so should pay their way in another 18 months.

I'll just repost my post from that other thread ...

Well since this I've bought a load of bulbs, including ...

http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/LED-Bulbs/Mains-Voltage-Power-LED-Bulbs-GU10-230V-Non-Dimmable/Power-LED-Bulb-5W-50W-GU10-240V-Warm-White-3000K-Kosnic/prod_218.html

http://www.wickes.co.uk/philips-9w-gu10-cfl-bulb/invt/218883/

Kosnic LEDs lights are very good and a 5w one is brighter than a 50 halgen! I also bought the CFL style downlight bulbs from wickes, as a cheap alternative for rooms I don't really use. They're also very bright and also have a massive angle of light meaning they flood the room with light, not just 'spot'.

I'd really reccomend downlightsdirect.co.uk, i've ordered 3 times from there and got it all the next day and they even answer the phone when you call them! Plus the site a really informative.

In a kitchen you might be better off going for CFL ones, they;re bright and fill the room with light as they have a wider beam. This should stop you casting shadows over the worktop when you're trying to work on it..