House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovelyhead

Child Support Agency

My Father and Mother were divorced 15 years ago and at the time he was unemployed so could not afford to pay any maintenance for me and my siblings. There was never any court action started against my father at the time. According to him the CSA accepted that because he was unemployed he would not have to pay any maintenance.

Now he has inherited a flat which he is looking to sell. Can the CSA come after him for the money he never had to pay because he was unemployed if he sells the flat?

We are in Scotland if that helps.

Thanks

Has he not worked for 15 years?

Has he not contributed to your upbringing in the last 15 years?

Are you not over 18?

....the CSA not fit for purpose...complete waste of public money....doubt if they could get anything right, an incompetent fiasco. ;)

Has he not worked for 15 years?

Has he not contributed to your upbringing in the last 15 years?

Are you not over 18?

Yes myself and my siblings are all over 18.

He has worked cash in hand for most of those years with a few years on the books. (Yes a bit dodgy I know)

He has contributed in other ways by being around. He is a good dad to us and we don't want to see him on the street (he lives in the inherited flat)

Where will he live if he sells it?

He'll screw up his benefits surely?

You should ask him - but who do you think should have the money? You or your mum who scrimped and saved?

Talk to him. En masse.

If he was a good dad apart from not putting his hand in his pocket then that counts for something.

The questions that get asked on fora never cease to amaze me.

Go and ask a solicitor. You might get an answer here as to whether you can get your hands on some of your so-called dads 'profit', but you wouldn't be able to trust it.

The questions that get asked on fora never cease to amaze me.

Go and ask a solicitor. You might get an answer here as to whether you can get your hands on some of your so-called dads 'profit', but you wouldn't be able to trust it.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand you but neither me, my mother or other siblings are interested in getting any money from him. He has transfered full ownership of the family house over to my mother so we consider him to have paid his dues. Where he lives now is not suitable. He hopes to buy a bit of land somewhere else to build a house but if the CSA come after him for money then this won't be possible. He intends to speak to a lawyer in the next few days. I just wondered if anyone else knew if the CSA would go after any money he made selling the house.

This all came up when my dad spoke to someone in the pub who's wife works at the CSA. She said his name had been flagged up. Could be BS. I don't know.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand you but neither me, my mother or other siblings are interested in getting any money from him. He has transfered full ownership of the family house over to my mother so we consider him to have paid his dues. Where he lives now is not suitable. He hopes to buy a bit of land somewhere else to build a house but if the CSA come after him for money then this won't be possible. He intends to speak to a lawyer in the next few days. I just wondered if anyone else knew if the CSA would go after any money he made selling the house.

This all came up when my dad spoke to someone in the pub who's wife works at the CSA. She said his name had been flagged up. Could be BS. I don't know.

Yeah the person in the pub is right, they'll try to take him to the cleaners. They'll get a possession order on the flat then most likely sell it at auction. If there is then any shortfall on the amount they calculated he owes on CSA payments for you and your siblings over 15 years they'll put a garnishing order on his wages (or at least they will when he's employed) until he has paid his dues.

His best bet is to quit work (if he's working), go on JSA and torch the flat.

Yeah the person in the pub is right, they'll try to take him to the cleaners. They'll get a possession order on the flat then most likely sell it at auction. If there is then any shortfall on the amount they calculated he owes on CSA payments for you and your siblings over 15 years they'll put a garnishing order on his wages (or at least they will when he's employed) until he has paid his dues.

His best bet is to quit work (if he's working), go on JSA and torch the flat.

Is he due anything if he was unemployed during the time we were under 18?

CSA won't be able to make any "back-calculation" - a CSA claim is only live from the time of application.

This applies to England + Wales - I'm not sure about Scottish law but I wouldn't be surprised if this was not the case.

Have a look at the CSA website for scotland. You could also phone up anonymously to the CSA helpline to see what they say, but in my experience, the CSA are the most incompetent bunch of lying retards in the world.