House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pent Up

Upside Down Union Jacks

I don't know about anyone else but this really annoys me. It should be taught in schools how to display the national flag correctly! I'd say probably a third of those ive seen displayed for the wedding have been upside down/back to front.

_45439450_flag_signing_pa.jpg

Also the saisnburys bank holiday advert on tv seems to have missed out half of the St Davids cross from the flag! How could they not notice this!

I don't know about anyone else but this really annoys me. It should be taught in schools how to display the national flag correctly! I'd say probably a third of those ive seen displayed for the wedding have been upside down/back to front.

Also the saisnburys bank holiday advert on tv seems to have missed out half of the St Davids cross from the flag! How could they not notice this!

Its something to do with the Navy isn't it, where you put it upside down to indicate you need help or something? I only remember that because I read it in a book about 20 years ago!

Design fault, if they wanted it to look different when it was upside down then they should have made it more obvious.

Its something to do with the Navy isn't it, where you put it upside down to indicate you need help or something? I only remember that because I read it in a book about 20 years ago!

the flag flown upside down is meant to indicate "in distress" is it not?

Yes that's right. Not sure if was just the navy I think it was in the days of outposts in the colonies and the like. Wouldn't be any good nowadays though as other flag is upside down!

What's the union jack got to do with national flags? If people want to abuse the ******* superstate, that's fine with me.

cornish-flag.gifenglish-flag.gifwelsh_flag.png24961063.scotland.jpg

(won't try to represent northern ireland - I don't know enough about it to display any flag without risking serious offence to someone).

[edit - censorware killed off *******]

Shouldn't matter. The "in distress" thing is something I've heard often enough but the flag is so near-symmetrical that I find it hard to believe that there's actually any truth to it. It doesn't matter. It's a stupid asymmetry in the design that's not worth worrying about.

What's the union jack got to do with national flags? If people want to abuse the ******* superstate, that's fine with me.

Looking at that post, and thinking of their music too .... the Taffs have got something on us, haven't they?

Design fault, if they wanted it to look different when it was upside down then they should have made it more obvious.

A "This Way Up" stamp and an arrow? ;)

Broad white band uppermost nearest the flagpole, simple enough.

cornish-flag.gifenglish-flag.gifwelsh_flag.png24961063.scotland.jpg

(won't try to represent northern ireland - I don't know enough about it to display any flag without risking serious offence to someone).

[edit - censorware killed off *******]

The only official flag in Northern Ireland is the Union Flag. However, about a third of the population, and that includes government buildings in ministries controlled by Sinn Fein, use the Irish Republic flag.

Yes that's right. Not sure if was just the navy I think it was in the days of outposts in the colonies and the like. Wouldn't be any good nowadays though as other flag is upside down!

It's supposed to be a universal sign of distress (the flag upside thing) rather than something specific to the UK flag. Obviously it's a bit easier to tell with a lot of (but not all) other flags.

A "This Way Up" stamp and an arrow? ;)

Broad white band uppermost nearest the flagpole, simple enough.

Stick the dragon on to keep the Welsh happy. It looks impressive and makes it unambiguous.

There is a very simple way to incorporate Welsh representation on the Union Flag and that is to change the black of the St David's flag to Saltire Blue and change the gold to white.

That way we have:

England : white background, red cross, horizontal/vertical

Northern Ireland : white background, red cross, corner to corner

Wales : blue background, white cross, horizontal/vertical

Scotland : blue background, white cross, corner to corner.

Not difficult is it?

Change could be made in time for William's Investiture at Caernavon, public holiday declared in Wales for new flag's adoption ceremony. Problem solved, everyone happy.

Hmm... there seem to be 4 small flags which my graphics card wont render. They come out black instead. Perhaps I have a virus. ;)

Could be the kernewec virus?