House Price Crash Forum

£9,000 Benefits P.a.

HOLA441

How on earth could that contribute to pricing you out of a home? If the cost of these benefits mean taxes are higher, then those taxpayers have less money with which to bid up house prices.

Um....because benefits are needed for people to be able to afford extortionate rents and mortgages?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

How on earth could that contribute to pricing you out of a home? If the cost of these benefits mean taxes are higher, then those taxpayers have less money with which to bid up house prices.

First of all you have less money with which to bid. And someone else has more money with which to bid. Result, you are priced out of the property you should be in, someone else gets it.

HOLA444

I earn around 23,000 a year have a 3 year old daughter and my wife stays at home to look after her , We receive £20.30 a week child benefit a week and thats it .

I dont expect anything more but am beginning to wonder if I am doing anything wrong because it seems to me that people I know and I read about are recieving alot more ! and p.s I dont live on housing benefit or council house !

HOLA445

I earn around 23,000 a year have a 3 year old daughter and my wife stays at home to look after her , We receive £20.30 a week child benefit a week and thats it .

I dont expect anything more but am beginning to wonder if I am doing anything wrong because it seems to me that people I know and I read about are recieving alot more ! and p.s I dont live on housing benefit or council house !

You are probably entitled to some tax credits. Just stick your info into this http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

HOLA446

You are indeed doing something wrong, pick up the telephone because you are entitled to £18.53 a week in tax credits, nearly a grand a year and if your rent is £150 a week £50.45 a week in housing benefit.

It doesn't go to somebody more worthy if you don't claim it so I would if I was you, save it for the child if it makes you feel better.

Edited by iLegallyBlonde

HOLA447

You are indeed doing something wrong, pick up the telephone because you are entitled to £18.53 a week in tax credits, nearly a grand a year and if your rent is £150 a week £50.45 a week in housing benefit.

It doesn't go to somebody more worthy if you don't claim it so I would if I was you, save it for the child if it makes you feel better.

I agree. Make the claim, we won't think any less of you ;)

HOLA448
Guest tbatst2000

You used to be one of the more reasonable left wing type posters in here, but you've taken a step or five back with that one. <_<

Sorry, didn't spot this at the time. Me, left wing, what planet are you from? I'm a die hard capitalist and I work for an investment bank. If I'm anything politically, it's libertarian. What I do support entirely is political discussion based on reality, not random anecdote. Housing benefit paying for people to live in places that people who work for a living can't afford is morally wrong, just as the ridiculous view that everyone receiving housing benefit is a) living in a mansion in South Ken and b ) a fully paid-up member of Al-Qaeda is statisically garbage.

Edited by tbatst2000

HOLA449

You should be claiming child tax credits of roughly 2K a year. You can apply online.

HOLA4410

True but the tax credits given are unaffordable.

One girl in my village, early twenties fat+ugly as sin went as far as Turkey to get knocked up before returning to the UK setting up as a working 'single' mum.

And likely she'll soon be off to Turkey again for another one ;) That's probably at least in part the CSA affect kicking in.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4411

Even the Polish people working in this country get child tax credit for kids living back in Poland.

Taken direct from HMRC website:

If your child lives outside the UK

You may be able to claim tax credits for your child if you live in the UK and any of the following apply:

you come from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) and are working, or are actively looking for work, in the UK

So they don't even need to be working - just 'actively looking for work'

How have we arrived at a point where honest, hard working people don't even understand what they are entitled to claim

And yet people on the other side of Europe come here to actively exploit this system?

It really is absolutely unbelievable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023400/33m-child-benefit-paid-foreign-chldren-live-abroad.html

The above article was from 2008 so God knows what the figure is now given that 100's of thousands of Eastern Europeans have come here since.

Oh, and before anyone says I am racist - they are the same race as us and I don't blame them for doing it.

:angry:

Edited by Game_Over

HOLA4412

The row comes as Daniel Kawczynski, a Conservative MP of Polish descent, plans to make a call in Parliament this week for a new bank holiday "to celebrate the contribution of Polish citizens to Great Britain since 1940".

I suppose a majority must have voted for him.

I imagine for fair do's and human rights hard working families in the UK will now be wanting a new bank holiday for all the other nationalities as well. Don't bother opening the office just give 'em the wages and the tax credits :lol:

Mind you he's probably thinking the new bank holiday will only apply to MPs to be added onto their current 6 months of holidays.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413

TBH I have no idea why people here are getting so excited by someone getting 9K in tax credits.

This is an utter drop in the ocean compared to what the majority of professional benefit scroungers clear.

And sadly all the evidence suggests that the money these people get for their children is spent on the parents - not their children's welfare.

How we recover from this disasterous position God only knows.

:(

boiled frog

cpi inflation adjustment, and IDS

HOLA4414
Guest tbatst2000

You said:

'That's bullsh1t. One or two totally brazen cases, maybe, otherwise not. The average asylum seeker is living in a crap-hole in Mile End, not a mansion in South Ken.'

Game Over said:

'Last time I checked housing benefit cost over £20 Billion a year

And the benefits bill exceeds all revenues from income tax

Could this be why the government is effectively bankrupt?

Stick your head in the sand all you like - but a massive sh*t storm is approaching.'

Also have a read of post 48 please.

If you were an Asylum seeker, in fear of your life, why would you cross through Europe (over a sea) to get to Britain when you could claim it in the first safe country you come to?

Come on thinking in pure capitalistic terms, would it not be because they get a bloody good deal here?

You don't want reams of links showing this is the case do you?

Firstly, I made no comment on the total cost of housing benefit which, for the record, I think is pretty damn scandalous for a whole pile of reasons. Secondly, I don't think anyone, asylum seeker or otherwise, should be accommodated at the state's expense somewhere that people who work for a living can't afford. The post I was responding to was the one that said:

The average asylum seeker family in London costs 50-100k a year in housing benefits alone.

This is clearly total and utter nonsense. Inferring from a single case highlighted in the Wail of someone being given 8K a month in housing benefit that the average is somehow 50-100K a year is fundamentally flawed reasoning. If people are going to argue about the rights and wrongs of a policy then they should do it based on something closer to reality than the contents of a BNP leaflet.

Anyway, aside from this, what have I ever said that would justify you calling me a left winger! (Which is what I'm actually annoyed about here).