House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Bristol Rioting Spreads To St Pauls - Gulp!

What are they rioting about?

Seriously, I'm on the south coast enjoying tea and crumpets, and I've no idea.

Is this is some cover up?

Seriously, I'm on the south coast enjoying tea and crumpets, and I've no idea.

Is this is some cover up?

Doesn't look that big at the moment, but as seems to be generally accepted, a hot summer might mean a lot more rioting.

About what?

As far as I can work out it goes back to objections to a new Tesco which were centred in a squat. The police went in to the squat a bit heavy handed and seem to have made the situation in Brizzle a little fractious.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/22/bristol-riot-police-injured

(Either that or the locals are revolting over the price of scrumpy and mangled worzels.)

The start point is heavy opposition to a Tesco Express in Stoke Gifford, there is a protest movement and this was associated with a lot of local squatting. The first riot last week was triggered by the police moving in to arrest some of the squatters who are part of the protest movement.

Seems fairly trivial I know but it gets you out of the house on a nice warm evening.

yep a dozen riot vans and a batallion of riot gear pigs including some bussed in from elsewhere for a rumble, to arrest four squatters, deffo heavy-handed. 98% of the local population in Stokes Croft said 'No we don't want a Tescos' so they went and opened one anyway, it has been boarded up since last week, proving that direct action does work! Which is why it's frowned upon by the establishment.

Stokes Croft is a vibrant and interesting part of town which does not want gentrifying and homogenising, so fair play to the locals for metaphorically giving the forces of capitalism the finger on this occasion. Up yours Tescos!!

98% of the local population in Stokes Croft said 'No we don't want a Tescos' so they went and opened one anyway, it has been boarded up since last week, proving that direct action does work! Which is why it's frowned upon by the establishment.

Uh, 98% of people don't want a Tesco, so they won't shop there. So it will be shut down in a few weeks due to not making any money. So what's the problem?

From what I've read it sounds like Tesco is pretty much irrelevant and the 'riots' are just a reaction to another dumb-ass police force that regards itself as an occupying army.

Stokes Croft is a vibrant and interesting part of town which does not want gentrifying and homogenising, so fair play to the locals for metaphorically giving the forces of capitalism the finger on this occasion. Up yours Tescos!!

Stokes Croft is neither vibrant nor interesting. It's a sh1thole full of pikeys on benefits and someone who replies on society for their existence while simultaniously attacking that society is hypocritical and delusional.

98% of the local population in Stokes Croft said 'No we don't want a Tescos' so they went and opened one anyway, it has been boarded up since last week, proving that direct action does work!

Shouldn't that be '98% of the squatter population did not want the Tesco'. Feel free to point me to evidence otherwise. Besides, I thought it was 92% last week? Have you had another poll as the bong went round?

I can safely presume that if you polled people in Bristol who actually work for a living, 98% would not want the squatters, the aggro, or breathy descriptions thereof. You are doing nothing but giving the area a no-go status for anyone who is not a superannuated crustie pretending they are still in the first term of their arts degree at Spunkbridge Poly. Take THAT, Mum and Dad! Look at my dreadlocks, yeah!?

If you want to give capitalism the finger, I presume you no longer want benefits to be available to these people? Lets see if you can get by on selling places at Poi workshops.

It's really depressing - in my day there were genuine counter cultures, genuine rebellion. Now it just looks like a bunch of uppity sad b*stards getting cross because they couldn't get in to a Levellers concert.

Derivative fashion, derivative attitudes, derivative everything.

yep a dozen riot vans and a batallion of riot gear pigs including some bussed in from elsewhere for a rumble, to arrest four squatters, deffo heavy-handed. 98% of the local population in Stokes Croft said 'No we don't want a Tescos' so they went and opened one anyway, it has been boarded up since last week, proving that direct action does work! Which is why it's frowned upon by the establishment.

You live there?

Uh, 98% of people don't want a Tesco, so they won't shop there. So it will be shut down in a few weeks due to not making any money. So what's the problem?

Not sure it works quite like that. Not all the customers would have been from the immediate area. It's not as if Tesco don't have enough stores there already - if you look on the Tesco store locator within a radius of 5 miles from Bristol city centre there are 33 Tesco stores already. You have to question how much damage has been done to smaller traders. Does Bristol council go on allowing more and more Tesco stores until there are no local independently run stores.

33 stores in one city. Feckin' hell. I'd be angry.

In Sheffield we have 18 within 10 miles of the city centre and that covers a much bigger population.

Shouldn't that be '98% of the squatter population did not want the Tesco'. Feel free to point me to evidence otherwise. Besides, I thought it was 92% last week? Have you had another poll as the bong went round?

I can safely presume that if you polled people in Bristol who actually work for a living, 98% would not want the squatters, the aggro, or breathy descriptions thereof. You are doing nothing but giving the area a no-go status for anyone who is not a superannuated crustie pretending they are still in the first term of their arts degree at Spunkbridge Poly. Take THAT, Mum and Dad! Look at my dreadlocks, yeah!?

If you want to give capitalism the finger, I presume you no longer want benefits to be available to these people? Lets see if you can get by on selling places at Poi workshops.

It's really depressing - in my day there were genuine counter cultures, genuine rebellion. Now it just looks like a bunch of uppity sad b*stards getting cross because they couldn't get in to a Levellers concert.

id be reasonably confident that in your day you looked like a sad bunch of uppity sad bstards getting cross, you simply sound as if youve aged to the point where you feel you have something to protect. Using the timeless generational put down really doesnt make your generation special whichever generation it may be. You also should have completed it by highlighting how your kids treat the place like a hotel

From what I've read it sounds like Tesco is pretty much irrelevant and the 'riots' are just a reaction to another dumb-ass police force that regards itself as an occupying army.

Tesco will shut an outlet if it isn't making money after a few weeks. You don't work in retail, do you LOL!

Stokes Croft is neither vibrant nor interesting. It's a sh1thole full of pikeys on benefits and someone who replies on society for their existence while simultaniously attacking that society is hypocritical and delusional.

And you read the Daily Mail. God help us, but gays and transexuals may lurk there too, and people who speak with broad, common accents Bleurghhhh!

What are they rioting about?

tesco. lol.

there may be apathy towards wars and famine in the world, but what really gets these people really fired up is the opening of a new tesco.

its the current political hot potato in bristol.

If the local community do not want a Tesco in their midst, fair enough. Large corporate chains are usually popular with the planners - see what's happened to the Italian cafes in London. I really hope Tesco are kept out. Anybody who knows that area knows there are many excellent independent food retailers in the vicinity already. If you want your clone shops, and the blandness that goes with it, that's your choice.

I'm not going to launch into a tirade of bigotry to justify my position, however tempting ;)

tesco. lol.

there may be apathy towards wars and famine in the world, but what really gets these people really fired up is the opening of a new tesco.

its the current political hot potato in bristol.

Perhaps the people there don't like eating over-processed shite food. And don't want corporate domination. Read clone town Britain by NEF.

Last time I was there, I counted several independent butchers, an Italian deli, a Vietnamese supermarket, brilliant bakery shops, Turkish food places, an E European food retailer, etc. It was great.

I think we are entering a new time where the divide in wealth will be highlighted and attacked due to envy.

Tesco is an easy target with its big shiny stores, and expensive products. It is a well known fact the company generate billions in profits, but the pay is poor and it perhaps replaced a factory as the main employer.

If you are wealthy, do not show it off. Hide your Aston Martins and Porsches.

They already have a few Turkish owned takeaways, etc., so Wimpey not needed. Interestingly enough, I commented on the lack of clone burger bars last time I was there, and was pleased to see people buying cooked burgers and sausages from a local butcher. Much nicer. Much better quality.

And you read the Daily Mail. God help us, but gays and transexuals may lurk there too, and people who speak with broad, common accents Bleurghhhh!

Fair enough, your misconceptions are on just as weak a foundation as mine. I notice no attempt to address the point though, don't you see a conflict between living on state support and simultaneously attacking that state?