House Price Crash Forum
Ananda

Which Kind Of Solicitor?

I've done it, put an offer on a property and it got accepted! Immediately the EA's conveyancing firm jumped in before I had the chance to contact a solicitor myself and I took the easiest option and went with them. I just found out that this company also acts for the seller of the property, they just use another office. In the case of a conflict of interests I would need to get another solicitor.

Now I'm wondering how exactly a conflict of interest is defined. If I got the result of the survey and would need to reduce the offer, would that be already a conflict of interest? When I spoke with the company (it was impossible to get through to the solicitor - and they didn't call back!), the friendly, cheerful customer service person unsurprisingly couldn't give me proper advice.

To be honest, I'm already fed up with them and would feel better to work with a small local solicitor. I haven't signed anything yet but already had to pay an initial fee, so I hope it won't be too difficult to get my money back. Any advice or similar experiences? Thank you!

I've done it, put an offer on a property and it got accepted! Immediately the EA's conveyancing firm jumped in before I had the chance to contact a solicitor myself and I took the easiest option and went with them. I just found out that this company also acts for the seller of the property, they just use another office. In the case of a conflict of interests I would need to get another solicitor.

Now I'm wondering how exactly a conflict of interest is defined. If I got the result of the survey and would need to reduce the offer, would that be already a conflict of interest? When I spoke with the company (it was impossible to get through to the solicitor - and they didn't call back!), the friendly, cheerful customer service person unsurprisingly couldn't give me proper advice.

To be honest, I'm already fed up with them and would feel better to work with a small local solicitor. I haven't signed anything yet but already had to pay an initial fee, so I hope it won't be too difficult to get my money back. Any advice or similar experiences? Thank you!

If you haven't got a trusted solicitor already, do ask friends/neighbours for recommendations.

I say this because we (daughter and I) were in a similar position some months ago, and went for a small local solicitor. Against the EA's urging we didn't go for their favoured sol. since we thought they wouldn't necessarily be acting in our best interests.

The purchase has been fraught with difficulties (though not from a valuation POV) and to put it mildly the local sol. we thought fine and helpful at initial meeting has proved to be anything but. Slow, uncommunicative to say the least, and we have felt he's been acting in the lender's best interests, rather than daughter's. We feel he has created difficulties - I would never, ever use him again for anything.

Although it goes against the grain to say it, I now wish we had used the EA-advised one, since they'd probably have got things moving a lot faster. I would certainly have taken advice - maybe even from an EA neighbour a few doors away.

A few years ago I did use an EA-advised solicitor, after our old 'trusty' left the law for a new career.

I have to admit they were fine, answered emails promptly, etc. and backed me up when the purchaser was creating last-minute problems. Though that was a sale, not a purchase, so I guess somewhat different.

I've had situation where same firm acted for both parties. They just putmewith one branch office and other party with another. It worked ok for us on two occasions once buying once selling.

The EA tried to do the same to me, however I got a reccomendation from a mate and I went chose them instead, plus I saved a couple of hundred quid, EA wanted 1450ish and the independent one I went with was 1250.

One thing I'll note is that the EA Sol wasn't accredited by the law socity, he was only a member of some conveyencying thingy. First direct (my lender) required my soliciter to be Lexcel (just yahooed it) certified, so I couldn't have gone with the EA chap anyway

The EA tried to do the same to me, however I got a reccomendation from a mate and I went chose them instead, plus I saved a couple of hundred quid, EA wanted 1450ish and the independent one I went with was 1250.

One thing I'll note is that the EA Sol wasn't accredited by the law socity, he was only a member of some conveyencying thingy. First direct (my lender) required my soliciter to be Lexcel (just yahooed it) certified, so I couldn't have gone with the EA chap anyway

We've just used a firm called fwdlaw to do my aunt's conveyancing. They are Lexcel accredited and they did a pretty good job, especially as they came in at £1,119 for both sale and purchase - including expenses. My aunt was under a lot of pressure from the agents (who were getting commissions for both legs of the transaction) and from the developers (she was buying new build) and they got the whole thing done in about 5 weeks.

We found them through an online review (here: http://www.househop....ners/fwdlaw.asp ) and apparently if you book through this website it's cheaper than going to them direct.