House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Eu Monolith Laws Supporting Pharma Giants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13215010

New EU regulations on herbal medicines come into force

By Dominic Hughes

Health correspondent, BBC News

New regulations mean many herbal remedies will no longer be available over the counter

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

Herbal remedies face licence rule

Herbal weight loss pill warning

'Unsafe' drug found in herbal tea

New European Union rules come into force today banning hundreds of traditional herbal remedies.

The EU law aims to protect consumers from possible damaging side-effects of over-the-counter herbal medicines.

For the first time, new regulations will allow only long-established and quality-controlled medicines to be sold.

But both herbal remedy practitioners and manufacturers fear they could be forced out of business.

To date, the industry has been covered by the 1968 Medicines Act, drawn up when only a handful of herbal remedies were available and the number of herbal practitioners was very small.

But surveys show that around a quarter of all adults in the UK have used a herbal medicine in the past two years, mostly bought over the counter in health food shops and pharmacies.

The regulations will cover widely used products such as echinacea, St John's Wort and valerian, as well as traditional Chinese and Indian medicines.

Herbal remedies that have been approved for sale under the new regulations will come with this logo

But safety concerns have focused on the powerful effects of some herbal remedies, as well as the way they interact with conventional drugs.

For example, St John's Wort can interfere with the contraceptive pill, while ginkgo and ginseng are known to have a similar effect to the blood-thinning drug warfarin.

From now on only products that have been assessed by the Medicine and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will be allowed to go on sale.

Manufacturers will have to prove that their products have been made to strict standards and contain a consistent and clearly marked dose.

And to count as a traditional medicine, products must have been in use for the past 30 years, including 15 years within the EU.

They will also only be approved for minor ailments like coughs and colds, muscular aches and pains, or sleep problems.

Remedies already on sale will be allowed to stay on the shelves until they reach their expiry date.

Free from contamination

Richard Woodfield, head of herbal medicine policy at the MHRA, says so far there have been 211 applications, of which 105 have been granted registration.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We're very concerned that patients appreciate they must be very careful when they take these medicines and ideally should talk to their doctor or pharmacist”

Prof Jayne Lawrence

Royal Pharmaceutical Society

"Crucially, this EU directive and the registration scheme puts consumers in the driving seat so they can identify that a product meets assured standards on safety, quality and information about safe use.

"Safety speaks for itself, but quality means, are they using the right part of the plant? Is it free from contamination? Is the claimed shelf life suitable?

"Product information will include possible side effects and interactions with other drugs, but above all it must make very clear that it is based on traditional use."

And that is a key point for the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, which believes the new regime is a step forward in improving safety and quality.

But Prof Jayne Lawrence, chief science adviser to the society, says there are still some concerns about herbal products.

"They certainly haven't been tested on the same basis as a conventional medicine and some of these compounds are very potent.

"Patients might not realise that in some cases they should not take other medicines with them, or if they're going for surgery they should tell their doctors they are taking these particular medicines because there may be complications.

"So we're very concerned that patients appreciate they must be very careful when they take these medicines and, ideally, should talk to their doctor or pharmacist."

The manufacturers of herbal remedies have had seven years to prepare for the new rules after the European Directive on Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products was introduced in 2004.

Too onerous?

These regulations apply to over-the-counter sales, which form the bulk of herbal remedies sold in the UK.

But some manufacturers and herbal practitioners have expressed concern, arguing the new rules are too onerous for many small producers.

Michael McIntyre, chairman of the European Herbal and Traditional Medicines Practitioners Association, says there will be a significant impact on herbal medicine practitioners and their suppliers, but admits the rules do need bringing up to date.

"Products that go on the market now will definitely do what it says on the bottle, while we didn't know how good they were in the past.

"But registration is expensive so perhaps there may be fewer products on the market and a smaller range.

"It's difficult to argue that the market should stay as it is, without any regulation, but how many businesses will pack up and walk away? I can't say."

so there we have it, maybe too many people were getting better without paying for a treatment plan which is obviously unthinkable to the fiat system.

what's up for regulating banning next? i reckon controlled sales of herbs and spices used in cooking.

so there we have it, maybe too many people were getting better without paying for a treatment plan which is obviously unthinkable to the fiat system.

what's up for regulating banning next? i reckon controlled sales of herbs and spices used in cooking.

or: shit sold by charlatans properly regulated at last. This has nothing to do with protecting pharma profits. The EC have been hostile to pharma comanies recently (see the recent competition enquiry).

And what has it got to do with the fiat money system???!!!

or: shit sold by charlatans properly regulated at last. This has nothing to do with protecting pharma profits. The EC have been hostile to pharma comanies recently (see the recent competition enquiry).

You know ****** all.

I take a non pharma remedy for inner ear issues. Its worked well for two years, wheni stop taking them, the symptoms come back, i retake them, the symptoms go. I tried a pharma antihistamine treatment (Serc) for years.

******ing hopeless. Placebo at best.

Got some Glaxo have you?

I DO like the smell of a fresh VI spouting shit in the morning.

****** off.

I take a range of supplements to help deal with an underlying health condition. This includes Resveratrol, Gingko Biloba, and pine bark extract. None of the suppliers make any claim in regard to their products curing / alleviating specific illnesses. I take them following my own research and discussions with other people in similar positions

This Directive is nothing more than the EUSSR / 4th Reich imposing requirements that will effectively outlaw any herbal supplement because unlike unique pharmaceuticals they cannot be patented.

Edit - I agree with the above. This is another example of the EUSSR sitting in the back pocket of the big pharmaceuticals.

In due course you will see your homoeopathic and natural food shops get closed up.

The little people can't win, you'll need to grow your own herbs and produce if you want alternatives.

I have a similar experience on the pesticide front, but ONLY because I would like to MARKET (ie make a profit - dirty word to you?) a product as being useful for a purpose.

I am still at perfect liberty to use said product in a domestic, private capacity. Indeed, I am allowed also to sell said product without a licence PROVIDING I do not sell it as a pesticide. This still makes me angry and here's why:

.. not so much to do with the fiat money system but certainly a banking conspiracy. For in order that I might market said pesticide, I will need to have it approved under REACH. This involves extensive field tests, even though the product is entirely equivalent to one already marketed under a different brand. You see, it is the marketed brand that needs approval, not tthe active substance. Indeed, if establihed products change anything about their marketing, they will need to re-register.

Once I've got all the product saftey and field data up together, I set it out in a document in an approved format and send it off to the EU. If I tell you that the first charge of £5000 is levied simply for checking I have included the correct headings, you'll begin to get an inkling about the costs to come. Indeed the european regulators state that they will make sure all the regulatory costs are borne by the appilcant. Costs soon mount above £100K, and remember, this is after all your own research, development, trials, packaging, market research etc. And once you are approved, don't think the costs end there. The EU want ~1% every year, but not form profits; no, they waant ~1% of SALES.

What has this to do with banking? Well, clearly, on top of all these costs, you'll have one more: financing.

So, are these laws a good or bad thing?

On balance, I'd say good. The proble lies not with the rules, but the fees those charge who administrate them. If the EU wanted to open up competition, I'd have thought the annual tarriffs would have been sufficient to cut the costs to new market entrants seeking approval. Indeed one can easily see how the balance between new registrant fees and sales taxes can be used quite effectively to alter the degree of competition.

Those who wish to carry on offering product without claim will likely be able to do so, especially if they do so only to family and friends . If you want to sell products with extravagant claims as the alternative medicine machine has been doing for far too long, you will need to pay the same fees everyone else does. A shift towards higher sales levies and lower initial registration costs could easily tilt the market in favour of new entrants at very little cost to established palyers, and that would be a good thing for all of us who purport to support the free market.

In due course you will see your homoeopathic and natural food shops get closed up.

The little people can't win, you'll need to grow your own herbs and produce if you want alternatives.

Exactly. And when you do, you'll find how much those charlatans have been making from you.

i was thinking more of a closed shop approach. when it comes to that time of your life where you need a 'treatment plan', who springs to mind as the people who could afford the 100k odd needed for it?

the ones that granted themselves the capacity of future generations is who.

the excess plebs can just go and die, with no chance of even any natural help, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, other than the survival demi-gods will be the ******ing bankers :angry:

Exactly. And when you do, you'll find how much those charlatans have been making from you.

They won't - placebo's work for pretty nearly everything, as long as you believe.

Fiat money has value because people have to acquire it to pay taxes and fines and to buy licences from the state.

Add a licence, add a demand for fiat money.

You know ****** all.

I take a non pharma remedy for inner ear issues. Its worked well for two years, wheni stop taking them, the symptoms come back, i retake them, the symptoms go. I tried a pharma antihistamine treatment (Serc) for years.

Got some Glaxo have you?

****** off.

I have no Glaxo shares .... but anyway, seriously, suppose I did: do you think that the HPC is so important and influential that I would spend my time arguing here with the thought that it would boost the share price??!!!

Stupid people sometimes need to be protected from themselves.

When you have moronic travelers contracting serious tropical diseases like malaria because they've shunned medically proven drugs in favour of a small bottle of tap water and the contents of a herbal tea bag it's time to say enough is enough.

You also need to ask yourself why herbal non-believers are expected to pick up the NHS bill for treating all these fools who have caught life threatening diseases?!

They won't - placebo's work for pretty nearly everything, as long as you believe.

The placebo effect is certainly stong, but I think even you don't belive this- or would you ask for the sugar pills if you were seriously ill in hospital?

Can't say i agree with the EUSSR on this one , many of the drugs in use today were originally synthesised from herbs (The active component was isolated).Aspirin is a well known example.

You know ****** all.

Got some Glaxo have you?

****** off.

I Think that's a bit harsh, there are pleanty of age old, tried and tested, herbal remidies but there are also vast amounts of weight loss, boob growth and other such crap 'treatments' out there that do need regulating. Either that or take back the responsibility of women to spend their own money, big mistake in the first place :P , as they are clearly pre programmed to spend vast amounts of their cash on this tosh. I only hope they come down on cosmetics next.

You know ****** all.

Got some Glaxo have you?

****** off.

Having read your post again: do you really believe that pharma shareholders post on HPC trying to increase their stocks value???

I so want this website to be right about house prices, and then I occasionally get a glimpse of certain posters insanity when they talk about topics I am familar with ...

The placebo effect is certainly stong, but I think even you don't belive this- or would you ask for the sugar pills if you were seriously ill in hospital?

You have not thought this one through - have you. ;)

Having read your post again: do you really believe that pharma shareholders post on HPC trying to increase their stocks value???

I so want this website to be right about house prices, and then I occasionally get a glimpse of certain posters insanity when they talk about topics I am familar with ...

As you are in favour of this legislation can you tell me why I shouldn't be allowed to buy Gingko Biloba as a supplement?

I seem to recall reading that GPs cant prescribe herbal remedies unless they have a special qualification to do so and few do. TPTB are soon gonna make sure that the only medicines you can get are supplied by big pharma and prescribed by your GP.

BTW The price of a pack of ibuprofen has doubled at the Morrisons supermarket near me. Has anyone else noticed a similar price hike or know what might have caused it?

As you are in favour of this legislation can you tell me why I shouldn't be allowed to buy Gingko Biloba as a supplement?

I am not familiar with your preferred herbal remedy or your specific ailment and therefore I can't comment. However, I am in favour of chalatans being prevented from selling crap to a public which is in the main not medically uneducated - although I am sure you don't realise it, your post hightlights the fact you form part of the group that needs saving from itself.

I am not familiar with your preferred herbal remedy or your specific ailment and therefore I can't comment. However, I am in favour of chalatans being prevented from selling crap to a public which is in the main not medically uneducated - although I am sure you don't realise it, your post hightlights the fact you form part of the group that needs saving from itself.

It's hardly worse than prescribing anti depressants/anti psychosis drugs to 8-10 year old kids.

I take Gingko Biloba because it has circulatory properties which are beneficial and alleviate two aspects of my underlying condition. This is known and well established. I don't need control freak pricks like you taking away my freedom of choice. In total I spend about £25 a month on supplements which includes vitamins, minerals, and fish oils. Gingko Biloba costs me £8 for 6 months supply. Its use as a supplement - dietary and medicinal has been for milenia so is well established however the supplier (in this case Tesco's) makes no specific claims.

If your concern is one of people damaging their health evidence please.

If you have evidence of people being fleeced for significant sums - evidence please

As an expat I try to direct as much of my spending on supplements back to the mother country. However once this latest piece of control freak legislation takes effect I will source my supplements from the USA, Canada or Australia.

It's hardly worse than prescribing anti depressants/anti psychosis drugs to 8-10 year old kids.

100% agree. My father is a retired pharmacist and thinks this legislation is appalling given the amount of useless crap peddled by Big Pharma. Just another piece of control freak legislation to take away freedom of choice for many.

Other than a few isolated cases of people downing huge quantities of herbal supplements or ignoring contra indications there is no evidence of any significant damage to peoples health.