House Price Crash Forum

Allsports Enters Administration

Caligari

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This is starting to get a bit odd. How many shops have disappeared now?

Carpetland, Allders, Gadget Shop, Allsports... others?

Not shops I would normally spend any time in, but still recognisable chains. It's scary that the economy has actually even tanked yet and we're seeing some damage. Can't recall any chains going a year or two ago :(

HOLA445
HOLA446
Administration administration administraion!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4286856.stm

there's a new one every day now!!!

I guessed they were in trouble when one of my workmates came back from lunch with a golf club for £3 from Allsports.

RichM I believe Furnitureland which is a large regional English concern is also in administration.

NDL

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness

Allsports Enters Administration

Phew, I thought it was All sorts at first (Bertie getting behind with his payments must surely be a sign of recession).

To give you an example of how little I visit the high street these days.

Never heard of Allsports

Allders. What do they sell?

Furnitureland. Not heard of them before they got into trouble.

Avoid chav infested city centres, shop by Internet.

HOLA448

Expecting for a big fashion chain to bite the dust soon... pretty much all the shops, even the 'good' ones have 75% sales on - and not on the rubbish either, but on the regular stock they just can't shift. I wish I could attribute it to people realising designer goods are a rip off and the cheap crap really is just that... but I doubt it. On the plus side, as someone with no debt beyond a small mortgage on a house I bought years ago, i'm getting kitted out nicely, and look the right dapper chap.*

I hope Next go down first, because they really are tat merchants of the highest order. I was really pleased to see the Gadget Shop go under, as they symbolised everything I hate about modern consumerist society.

* Attractive and fashionable status may be entirely in own head

HOLA449

Not shops I would normally spend any time in, but still recognisable chains. It's scary that the economy has actually even tanked yet and we're seeing some damage. Can't recall any chains going a year or two ago :(

Must Have..IT, Courts, MG Rover... :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I predict some budget airlines and holiday companies going bust over the next year. I seem to remeber a couple of holiday companies going bust last time.

My plan:

Identify a holiday company that is about to go bust.

Book a holiday in a remote, peaceful, sunny resort with them.

Wait till they go bust and leave me stranded there :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Between the age of eight through to my teenage years, the two nearest emporiums of sporting goods were locally run busineses. And they were proper sports shops too. Now even the smallest towns have these chainstores.

The same is true of records. My favourite record store closed a months after a Megastore came to twon. The shop didn't even lose that much trade - just enough to turn a comfortable profit into an unsustainable one. You can't call it 'the dollar vote' that killed these shops as plenty of people still preferred them!

Good shops with staff you could chat with... gone

90% of these bland chainstores are utterly pointless and give a bland shopping experience. Slash rents and business tax for one-shop business and penalise the wealth snatchers.

HOLA4416

Our consumer, debt based economy is being hollowed out! Soon we'll only be able to buy government issue pyjamas and CDs of Scottish folk songs sung by Gordon Lightweight (and maybe tofu - would that be the nulabour equivalent of spam?).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
FYI, BOE's mandate to keep the inflation under control not to help keep the jobs/boom.

I know but why did they ignore house price inflation (until the very end) but they seem concerned with house price deflation. If they really wanted to stop house price deflation they should not have allowed unsustainable house price inflation.

Sorry, for a moment there i was thinking houses are a cost of living, silly me, i will never get the job helping gordon.

why couldn't the upgrade have included spell checker

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

HOLA4421
Between the age of eight through to my teenage years, the two nearest emporiums of sporting goods were locally run busineses. And they were proper sports shops too. Now even the smallest towns have these chainstores.

The same is true of records. My favourite record store closed a months after a Megastore came to twon. The shop didn't even lose that much trade - just enough to turn a comfortable profit into an unsustainable one. You can't call it 'the dollar vote' that killed these shops as plenty of people still preferred them!

Good shops with staff you could chat with... gone

90% of these bland chainstores are utterly pointless and give a bland shopping experience. Slash rents and business tax for one-shop business and penalise the wealth snatchers.

I definitely agree with this...these 'sports' shops such as JJBs etc seem to be little more than Chav-clothing emporiums where the latest Kappa can be picked up by those chavs who can afford not to buy knock-offs.

It is alarming though...almost daily reports of businesses going to the wall or laying off staff...things are getting increasingly messy.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I spoke to a relation at the weekend who sells new cars. Asked him how business was and he said it had been bad for about 8 months and was getting worse. Said people were worried about debt and it was getting very difficult to get them to sign up to more.

Must be true. Don't know many car salemen who would tell you things were bad unless they really, really, were!