House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ringledman_*

Is Housepricecrash.co.uk Good For Your Personal Well Being?

Question,

Does anyone here ever think, Housepricecrash.co.uk - life is too short?

All the pointless arguing, pointless mindless posts on the economy or politics, none of which we can change so why not just accept?

Thoughts? Personally I can see one easily overdoing this site when there is a real world out there who couldnt car eless about the typical discussion on here!

Discuss......

HPC has broadened my outlook, that's got to be a plus point.

Also it convinced me in 2005 that I wasn't crazy in thinking that there was something fishy about the way house prices were zooming up.

there is a real world out there who couldn't care less about the typical discussion on here!

I used to be a part of that world. All things considered, I'm glad I'm not any more.

I've learned a lot about economics from this site and it is also great for investment strategy.

In terms of house prices it's a useful source of real world information when you have a mostly "house prices only ever go up" media. I don't hear much about the sheer collapse in the US or Ireland elsewhere and if I hadn't seen that I would have begun to doubt whether the UK would fall; I don't have that doubt.

Off Topic is less fun since the split but hey ho.

I suppose if you think that by coming here and posting a lot you will be contributing to making your own house price purchase easier or materially changing things then you will end up being disappointed; as the OP seems to be.

Question,

All the pointless arguing, pointless mindless posts on the economy or politics, none of which we can change so why not just accept?

Thoughts? Personally I can see one easily overdoing this site when there is a real world out there who couldnt car eless about the typical discussion on here!

Discuss......

Wise posts like this make me remember why I added you to my friends list.

You're right of course. I think you should use it in moderation, like anything (the Internet in general, television even). I find it more useful to scan the main forum try not to get caught up too much with the nonsense and spend most of the time in the subforums looking for decent posts. Hardly anyone from the main forum will ever read this.

You're better spending spare time learning something in a more formal, structured manner, then delving into a Forum. It just takes more discipline.

I'm back after a long time away. Still haven't bought a house. Before HPC I was doing what people advocate on here before this site was even created. I was watching the HPI data from Nationwide and planning my sell up back in 2001. What I have seen since has amazed me the lengths the VI's have gone to to avert a crash. But this site was a godsend as I had no others around me who shared the same view about housing. This site has provided loads of support and helps people keep the faith.

I really wish I could find my original username from the earlier days of HPC. I can't do an email retrieval as my email address is long gone now.

The economic discussions are useful too, although you do have to filter out the rubbish.

Edited by Spoony

Question,

I'm not the type who "accepts". Put another way, you could call it being highly-strung? Which is not, in itself, always positive.

I used to be a part of that world. All things considered, I'm glad I'm not any more.

So am I. However - and it's such a shame we're not all like this at the age of say 11 to 16 when at school; now I'm 38 I have this weird craving to understand absolutely everything, almost to a kind of PHD level. Like the robot in the film "Short Circuit".... "More input!!"

The knowledge might help me, maybe. The frustration that comes with knowing how a deck is stacked might not.

contrarianism hurts, that's just human nature, HPC is a support group

There's a danger in that "misery loves company" - could potentially engender a feeling of "group hopelessness?"

I've learned a lot about economics from this site and it is also great for investment strategy.

Very much so. Some of the depth of knowledge on this forum, and not just about economics subjects, is quite breathtaking; I do wonder if this forum is read by journos looking for an angle. Certainly, Nouriel Roubini (sp?) wasn't the only one to forecast the financial meltdown.