House Price Crash Forum
bpw

Europe Wins The Massive Indian Contract For Combat Aircraft

Rather than spending billions of public money on military aircraft (power toys for power-obsessed corrupt politicos), the Indian government should use the money to improve living conditions in India.

I would suggest you go read the geopolitics in that area and then delete you comment below.

Rather than spending billions of public money on military aircraft (power toys for power-obsessed corrupt politicos), the Indian government should use the money to improve living conditions in India.

Can we all get one thing straight. The informed concensus is that Eurofighter is technically and logistically the best of all of the aircraft that were on offer. For that part, it's also fair to say that its the finest aircraft flying in an airforce behind the Raptor. F35 Lightning is looking like a disaster: it will cost more than 200mln per plane, has a single engine, low wing area, and flies like a brick. I'll take a bet that several countries back out of the Lightning programme over the next 5 years because of cost, and the fact that Washington has refused to give out the software-lock codes - EVEN BRITAIN WILL NOT GET THE CODES! India knows this means they could literally have their airplanes immobilized in a war with Pakistan.

As for price. The USA plays a deceitful game - the cost is linked to number of planes sold. The unit cost of the american aircraft on offer is low because we are all forced to buy them literally in the thousands in the case of the F-teens.

you are of course assuming that the yanks are still in the game of conventional jet propulsion aircraft.

they ain't(neither are we).

FWIW russian strategic bombers are a blatant rip-off of concorde...which WE designed and built with the french nearly 50 years ago!

My link

do you not think we've come up with some rather more sophisticated gear since then?

Edited by oracle

+1.

+1.

would be nice,but they also have two rather aggressive next-door neighbours.

they need to have a fairly robust defence to SECURE their standard of living,rather than improve it.

something our politicians would be wise to take heed of.

Great news for the European economy yesterday. The Indian government has indicated that Rafale and Eurofighter are the only contenders for the 128 fighter contract.

Estimates put the value at $50bln, but those figures will rise, and I would take a bet you'll see the Indians build several hundred under License. One estimate is 300 air-superiority and ground-attack planes. There is also an option on the table for a navalized version of Eurofighter. My bet is on Eurofighter which has quietly impressed people that know. WIth the cost of a Raptor at a mind-bending $350mln per place, and given all the problems with the Lockheed Marting Lightning (see one of my earlier posts) its clear this is a HUGE opportunity for the EU that will create thousands of jobs. I just hope we get organized and form a joint EADS and Dassault consortium which will propel european aerospace into new markets.

Now the interesting part is the messaging from the bullies in Washington. This really is a huge fright for the US aerospace industry which continually crows about its superiority. I am expecting lobbyists in Washington to start a dirty tricks campaign against India and Europe in the hope they can corrupt the evaluation process in the same way they did when Airbus won the air refuelling tanker contract. If they do, it's time to take action against the US thought the world courts and we face a trade war.

This will be a defining moment in this years economic landscape. Mark my words.

Great news for Europe - but you will see little mention of it in the newspapers. No one cares.

What are the European news papers full of - Osama Bin Laden - who cares, not a european war, not our business

What you guys don't realise is what the US has in Area 51

And they aren't flogging that to the Indians

Or anyone else either.

:blink:

What you guys don't realise is what the US has in Area 51

And they aren't flogging that to the Indians

Or anyone else either.

:blink:

<TFH>

Oooh - is it tons of gold? - the stuff that is supposed to be in Fort Knox... are they making spaceships out of it, so that we can finally go and put a man on the moon??

</TFH>

WIth the cost of a Raptor at a mind-bending $350mln per placs.

The price of the F/A 22 raptor is irrelevant in decisions such as this. It is virtually certain that Lockheed Martin will cease production at approx 180 units for the USAF only. This fighter jet is so advanced that the US has not even been offered to Israel or Japan so there isnt a hope in hell that it will be offered to India.

Going from initial reports, it seems as though $350m per plane is cheap. The Raptor was capable of engaging and killing multiple F-15s without them getting close.