House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

China Census Shows Population Ageing And Urban

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13218733

China's census shows its population grew to 1.34 billion people by 2010, with a sharp rise in those over 60.

Nearly half of all Chinese now live in cities and people over the age of 60 now account for 13.3% of the population, up nearly 3% since 2000.

But the figures reveal that China's population is growing more slowly than in the past.

That could affect the economy, as the number of potential workers, especially from rural areas, could shrink.

The proportion of mainland Chinese people aged 14 or younger was 16.6%, down by 6.29 percentage points from the last census in 2000.

The number aged 60 or older grew to 13.26%, up 2.93 percentage points.

The one child policy starting to bite? China is going to have a serious demographics problem in the near future.

[

The one child policy starting to bite? China is going to have a serious demographics problem in the near future.

Its biggest problem is sex-selection and infanticide of female babies. I think there is a 10%+ mismatch at birth at the moment, some regions its over 25%...... This will drive down the birth rate in coming decades ....not to mention the problem of having a big surplus of males that cannot find partners..... How many unsold appartments are there at the moment?

Its biggest problem is sex-selection and infanticide of female babies. I think there is a 10%+ mismatch at birth at the moment, some regions its over 25%...... This will drive down the birth rate in coming decades ....not to mention the problem of having a big surplus of males that cannot find partners..... How many unsold appartments are there at the moment?

You do know the simple answer to that problem, don't you?

Short-term pain for long-term gain.

All these men who can't find wives in China will have to look after their aging parents. (Good for the parents.) That was the reason why they had a son in the first place.

The good keen males will always get the females (nature's way). The ones that can't find wives will tend to be the dumber, unluckier, less competitive types. The fittest will survive.

I see the official 1-child policy + female infanticide (unofficial social custom) as combining to result in a more rapid reduction of the Chinese population while at the same time providing large numbers of single men to look after the large numbers of aging elderly.

China should follow a social policy of qualitative rather than quantitative growth, i.e., more living space for a lower population enjoying a higher quality of life. Cultural and social enrichment rather than materialistic consumption.

Edited by Odakyu-sen

Abortion of girls?

Doesn't happen any more.... it hasn't happened for a long time.

Girls are phenominally more valuable than boys in China today thus parents want girls instead as there are bigger life opportunities for women in China AND with such an imbalance of men to women women can be incredibly picky about who they marry.

In China today there are three words which Chagrin men.

fangzi, (home)

chezi, (car)

piaozi (Money)

Without all three of the above no woman will even look at you, which is why many women simply become kept and have 20-30 'boy friends' have sex with all of them and be pampered until she turns 27-29ish when she becomes a left over woman and NOBODY in China will marry them. Dating in China is horrendous, it feels like a smegging job interview at times.

Here is the biggest kicker, in Chinese custom as a parent you pay for your sons wedding. The even bigger kicker is that you buy/build a house for your son. No such obligations exist for daughters. Daughters no longer become absolute chattles of the husbands family and they will visit their parents and care for them anyway. In rural areas farming has become more mechanised especially in the north where wheat is the staple not rice which lends itself to industralised farming.

The ancient custom of giving your land to your son doesn't happen anymore either as the CCP came to power about 60 years ago and seized ALL of the land anyway.

China should follow a social policy of qualitative rather than quantitative growth, i.e., more living space for a lower population enjoying a higher quality of life. Cultural and social enrichment rather than materialistic consumption.

Its a bit late for that isn't it? After the civil war there were 560million people in China. The USSR then fell out with China and it was expected a great war would occur between China and the USSR. The Chinese leadership lacking advanced weapons simply did what they could, i.e. make up the technology gap with overwhelming numbers, much like the battle of Imjin river.

Abortion of girls?

Girls are phenominally more valuable than boys in China today thus parents want girls instead as there are bigger life opportunities for women in China AND with such an imbalance of men to women women can be incredibly picky about who they marry.

fangzi, (home)

chezi, (car)

piaozi (Money)

Without all three of the above no woman will even look at you, which is why many women simply become kept and have 20-30 'boy friends' have sex with all of them and be pampered until she turns 27-29ish when she becomes a left over woman and NOBODY in China will marry them. Dating in China is horrendous, it feels like a smegging job interview at times.

Here is the biggest kicker, in Chinese custom as a parent you pay for your sons wedding. The even bigger kicker is that you buy/build a house for your son. No such obligations exist for daughters. Daughters no longer become absolute chattles of the husbands family and they will visit their parents and care for them anyway. In rural areas farming has become more mechanised especially in the north where wheat is the staple not rice which lends itself to industralised farming.

The ancient custom of giving your land to your son doesn't happen anymore either as the CCP came to power about 60 years ago and seized ALL of the land anyway.

Do they then move on to foreign men from 30+ onwards?

Aren't they wanted because of the sleeping around or because there looks are shot at 27-29? Seems a brutal cut of point, is it something cultural?

The good keen males will always get the females (nature's way). The ones that can't find wives will tend to be the dumber, unluckier, less competitive types. The fittest will survive.

In the UK they seem to get all the women (if jeremey Kyle is to be believed) ;)

Do they then move on to foreign men from 30+ onwards?

Aren't they wanted because of the sleeping around or because there looks are shot at 27-29? Seems a brutal cut of point, is it something cultural?

I can't say who they move on to tbh... since I'd merely be generalising.

But Asian women appear to retain their looks well into their 40s... I was shagging what you may call a MILF who was 38 I thought she was 23 until I saw her HKID card. She dear did a dear John on me though. She had the ti....moving swiftly on.... B)

Its an agricultural society hold over thing, like face. The ideal child bearing age is 21-27 (it varies) in that China was only till recently a third world country of peasant farmers. This meant appaulling mortality rates amongst babies and mothers of babies. Thus a woman is strongest at 21-27ish and thus was the best age to have children as to maxmise the chance of both parties surviving.

Its why we still have the 30 day rule sometimes still practiced. When a woman gives birth in Chinese society, everybody acts as if nothing has happend other than the parents of course. A month or so afterwards only then a party is held to celebrate the birth as after 30 days there was a very high probability both mother and baby would survive.

So 30+ women still can catch men it is just that they are considered to be vastly inferior, much like Natures biggest joke about men being in their prime at 18 while women get into their prime at 35+ I.e. when women are really up for it, men are looking to nail their daughters instead :lol:

I make a crass generalisation here but women who REALLY exploit the men/women ratio and keep tons of boyfriends have had more meat than you'd find in the sausage isle in ASDA.

Of course over time it'll change..

Edited by ken_ichikawa

For what long term gain?

This short term pain will probably last for 30 or 40 years. The economic cost could be immense.

30-40 years is short term in the grand scheme of things. The long-term gain is not having all the pressures and problems of a large population - far fewer resource worries and less reason for crowding, badly-built urban environments, and the lack of quality of life that results out of that. Not even sure why there needs to be a big economic cost.

I can't say who they move on to tbh... since I'd merely be generalising.

But Asian women appear to retain their looks well into their 40s... I was shagging what you may call a MILF who was 38 I thought she was 23 until I saw her HKID card. She dear did a dear John on me though. She had the ti....moving swiftly on.... B)

Its an agricultural society hold over thing, like face. The ideal child bearing age is 21-27 (it varies) in that China was only till recently a third world country of peasant farmers. This meant appaulling mortality rates amongst babies and mothers of babies. Thus a woman is strongest at 21-27ish and thus was the best age to have children as to maxmise the chance of both parties surviving.

Its why we still have the 30 day rule sometimes still practiced. When a woman gives birth in Chinese society, everybody acts as if nothing has happend other than the parents of course. A month or so afterwards only then a party is held to celebrate the birth as after 30 days there was a very high probability both mother and baby would survive.

So 30+ women still can catch men it is just that they are considered to be vastly inferior, much like Natures biggest joke about men being in their prime at 18 while women get into their prime at 35+ I.e. when women are really up for it, men are looking to nail their daughters instead :lol:

I make a crass generalisation here but women who REALLY exploit the men/women ratio and keep tons of boyfriends have had more meat than you'd find in the sausage isle in ASDA.

Of course over time it'll change..

I'm just back from a business trip to HK and China. Our MD is from HK but is based at our offices in Shenzhen. He recently married a Shenzhen girl. His view is that marrying a HK woman is a life sentence of misery. Seems like he's not alone, I've stood on the bridge between HK and the mainland many times, watching hordes of kids return from HK schools to mainland homes, I understand they're pretty much all the children of HK men married to mainland women.

Abortion of girls?

fangzi, (home)

chezi, (car)

piaozi (Money)

The census will prove whether or not infanticide of female babies in China has still been going on over the past 5 years or not.

The numbers wont lie, but Chinese statistics are questionable, anything above a 3% difference would suggest the practice is still widespread.

The latest Indian census, details announced last month, also showed a similar bias and it seems the wealthier a family is the more sex selection. I would be surprised if China was any different.

http://www.indiatribune.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5673:indias-census-2011-shows-uneven-growth-of-male-female-ratio&catid=125:general-news&Itemid=400

The problem is obvious and the solution even more so, but unpalatable.

Heath care extends lives. This causes overpopulation, so they restricted birth rates. But that leads to disasterous demographics. The only solution for for people to return to breeding fast, but to have aggressive death rates. Wars aren't the answer as they kill off the young. The answer is for life expetancy to fall.

Coincidentally, the cost of health care is becoming crazy.

So the solution is to cut healthcare, have people die younger and let the World pass across to the young and vigorous promptly, as it should.

Edited by bogbrush

At the risk of completely derailing things.. that's 'Not Much Meat, But Quite A Bit OF Sawdust And Breadcrumbs And Bits You'd Rather Not Think About'

So the solution is to cut healthcare, have people die younger and let the World pass across to the young and vigorous promptly, as it should.

You first, we'll all follow :P

You first, we'll all follow :P

Policy made from personal interest is never any good.

You know my solution is right. I equally know why nobody will promote it.

Edited by bogbrush

yes, mentiond my Mark Steyn...

"As I wrote in America Alone, [China] will get old before it gets rich, and, unless it’s planning on becoming the first gay superpower since Sparta, the millions of surplus young men whom the One-Child Policy has deprived of female companionship is a recipe for profound social convulsions"

Ever notice how the reign of superpowers gets progressively shorter , America for example only lasted around 70 years.

China will be the shortest lived superpower in history , far shorter lived than even the U S A.

Edited by Ruffneck

Ever notice how the reign of superpowers gets progressively shorter , America for example only lasted around 70 years.

China will be the shortest lived superpower in history , far shorter lived than even the U S A.

Except China has had several bites of the cherry over the past 1000 years. Its just toppled over many many times. The Ming dynasty for instance reigned supreme from 1368 to 1644, with a gigantic near mythical navy which created the legend of Sinbad the sailor (Zheng He) the Ming Dynasty went into a hyperinflationary collaspe btw. Then the Qing took over for the next 150 years creating a gigantic trade surplus with tea silk etc. Only demanding real money, (silver). Before falling apart from being torn to bits by internal warfare and various other nations who wanted a piece of the action...

You know typing this sounds a lot of what may happen in the US/Europe. I.e. hyperinflationary collaspe, then 'another power' comes in to fill the power vacuum which is brutal and repressive. At which once the economy recovers other nations want a piece of it.

Policy made from personal interest is never any good.

You know my solution is right. I equally know why nobody will promote it.

Well.. I think there is a point to be made that making heroic efforts to keep elderly people alive is a waste of resources; even for euthanasia in advanced dementia cases. And at the other end, heroic (i.e expensive) efforts to keep very disabled children alive is an even harder problem. Very hard area, though.

What about the Macedonians?

Except China has had several bites of the cherry over the past 1000 years. Its just toppled over many many times. The Ming dynasty for instance reigned supreme from 1368 to 1644, with a gigantic near mythical navy which created the legend of Sinbad the sailor (Zheng He) the Ming Dynasty went into a hyperinflationary collaspe btw. Then the Qing took over for the next 150 years creating a gigantic trade surplus with tea silk etc. Only demanding real money, (silver). Before falling apart from being torn to bits by internal warfare and various other nations who wanted a piece of the action...

You know typing this sounds a lot of what may happen in the US/Europe. I.e. hyperinflationary collaspe, then 'another power' comes in to fill the power vacuum which is brutal and repressive. At which once the economy recovers other nations want a piece of it.

I think QI a few weeks ago blame china for China's fall, ie as they drank tea they didn't have a need for glass. Where as the Europeans drank wine they developed glass, which then allowed the development of microscopes, which helped to push science forward.

No idea how close to reality that is over development since the middle ages but appeared to be an interesting point unless of course it was totally made up and the Chinese did use glass, at which point this whole point is somewhat pointless. :lol::lol: