House Price Crash Forum

Hyopthetical scenario.

12 acres in the home counties, £4.5k per acre. Grassland atm, but surrounded by crop producing fields. access to a stream. (assume near the source of the stream as the land is elevated to much of the surrounding area and well drained.)

Wonder how many people such an area could sustain?

Hyopthetical scenario.

12 acres in the home counties, £4.5k per acre. Grassland atm, but surrounded by crop producing fields. access to a stream. (assume near the source of the stream as the land is elevated to much of the surrounding area and well drained.)

Agricultural land is a snatch at present. It was £3k an acre some 10 years ago.

If I had a nice £100k going spare and wanted to diversify out of stocks, property, commodities, bonds then agri land is the place to be.

Compared to a lot of Western Europe our land is fairly cheap.

A great play against governments that like to print confetti paper and bonds.

Only thing is yields are low on land but guess always so.

Unlike UK property, agri land is not in any bubble.

Edited by ringledman

Is it graded? - you'll need 5 hectares if you're thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of :).

Agricultural land is a snatch at present. It was £3k an acre some 10 years ago.

If I had a nice £100k going spare and wanted to diversify out of stocks, property, commodities, bonds then agri land is the place to be.

Compared to a lot of Western Europe our land is fairly cheap.

A great play against governments that like to print confetti paper and bonds.

Only thing is yields are low on land but guess always so.

Not saying that you're wrong, but I read a Savills press release masquerading as a Guardian article t'other day which said that agricultural land prices had hit a record high: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/apr/18/agricultural-land-prices-increase

I would still rather buy agric. land than houses right now. If the Tories/Vince Cable do actually reform the planning system, you might end up being able to build on you agric land, giving a decent windfall.

I guess all thats stopping me buying land is distrust of govt. Its not movable, not hideable and will probably be taxed or stolen by govt when theyve tapped everything else out.

The one attractive thing about gold/silver is their portability/hideability. And yet i cant survive on precious metals alone.

Hmmm. Near us, grazing land is on the market for £35k an acre. Not a sniff of planning permission. Clearly they might not sell it, but they probably will manage to get near that as it is not that far out of whack. Lots of horse people wanting fields....

Not saying that you're wrong, but I read a Savills press release masquerading as a Guardian article t'other day which said that agricultural land prices had hit a record high: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/apr/18/agricultural-land-prices-increase

Highest ever 'nominal' price. Nominal prices are irrelevant for any asset class.

I guess all thats stopping me buying land is distrust of govt. Its not movable, not hideable and will probably be taxed or stolen by govt when theyve tapped everything else out.

The one attractive thing about gold/silver is their portability/hideability. And yet i cant survive on precious metals alone.

My view is that property (main residence) and possibly land will be the last thing a future bankrupt goverment will steal from its citizens whether through taxation or direct theft.

I am more concerned with my SIPPS and ISAs being stolen by a bankrupt future repressive government.

There is evidence of foreign governments stealing personal pensions and gold. Land/property less likely to be stolen IMO.

Edited by ringledman

Is it graded? - you'll need 5 hectares if you're thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of :).

:)

Along the same lines: one could find some forest land that is uneconomical on a commercial basis, there is quite a bit of it. It's quite expensive for what it returns (0) but would still cost half the price the OP mentions and would be soil rich (broad leaves). In the scenario envisaged a forest classification would probably not be a major concern.

Anyone got any typical prices per acre in continental europe?

I am sure agri land is way higher in Germany and Ireland than the UK. So I read...

a couple of years back werent UK farmers buying Polish and other eastern block farms?

Heard that nice Irish chap on BBC Radio2 the other day saying he's buying a farm in the Ukraine (and a delorean)

Hyopthetical scenario.

Land is without doubt the best investment i have ever made, bought 40 acres about 5 years ago for just over 3k a acre I get single farm payment of about 5k a year and rent from a local farmer of 4k a year,i have the shooting rights and a 45ft container for business storage nothing like walking your own land,I am just in the process of buying 4 acres of woodland in Dorset which you can camp on for 28 days a year without any planning issues people are paying the same money for a leasehold beach hut.buy land.

Is that price a guide price? If it is then expect to pay more if you want it. I bought 12 acres adjacent to our existing land in 2008. It's location is ideal for me but difficult for anyone not living next to it. However, since it first went on the market in '95 after being part of a family farm for 60 years, it's changed hands three times. The guy I bought it from lived 100 miles away. Anyway, it was sold as "informal tender" which is a sealed bid, so you need to put your money where your mouth is. There where 8 bid in total and mine was the second highest (so I'm told). The vendor offered the land to me if I matched the highest bid "cos you're a local" which I did. I paid 35% above guide price.

Guide prices are set low to encourage interest. It may not feel like a bargain at the time but after a couple of years it will feel like one.

Hyopthetical scenario.

The best I can find is in Berks/oxfordshire borders at over £7k an acre for mixed woodland in the middle of more land with no vehicle access or roads.

I would have to see a link to this hypothetical land to give an informed opinion :)

No - it's immoral if you're not going to use the land yourself.

I kind of agree. I use my land, coppice the woods and make a sustainable living from the things I produce.

Voted NO !

Already got 4 acres in an AONB - no chance of ever being able to build on it.

Just got a few chickens, which feed the ******* foxes every so often.

(Yer - I know foxes are lovely furry things chased by idiots in red jackets blah blah blah :P )

I kind of agree. I use my land, coppice the woods and make a sustainable living from the things I produce.

Hey - Dom...me too, as got a bit of woodland.

Have you seen those wood gaseous boilers? Govt grants available to install one, and you get free heating etc.

I've been looking into it. Costs about 8K to install, but you get the money back over 15 years from Govt.

(Yer - I know foxes are lovely furry things chased by idiots in red jackets blah blah blah :P )

Actually both are vicious troublemaking vermin. It's rather hard to tell them apart.

calm down comrade, I think that is clearly the intention.

The impression I got was as an "investment", which IMO doesn't count as using it.

This is the HPC site right?

I have not logged into some other alternative universe?

Because Agricultural Land, is at bubble proportions isnt it?

I could quote examples of 500% increases since 1997..........

Although, granted, agricultural land, has Unique selling points. I.E. 'They dont make it any more'

This would suggest this bubble has a way to play out yet, and it will take longer to deflate than other types of land.

Edited by Dan1

Get Ready For a FarmLand Bubble

Shiller describes farmland as a "dark horse" bubble candidate, not only because of the the recent boom in land prices in the U.S. and UK, but because the environment is similar to the 1970s in the U.S. when a food price scare sparked the last farmland bubble.
Edited by Dan1

No - it's immoral if you're not going to use the land yourself.

Its an insurance.

At the moment, like i said its just grasses, and would remain so. I might rent it out for horses. But if the SHTF would 12 acres of land be enough to feed me and a couple of other people?