House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wahoo

Why Have I Made Money.......

I transferred my L&G private pension into a SIPP 2 months ago. The L&G fund value went down and down each year, because I wasn't topping it up.

I have made over 100% profit in 8 weeks. L&G were just eating away at my fund, with hidden charges.

I invested in a minnow oil company, a possible East European gold mine and an Australian junior mining company. I did some very basic research, but mainly followed the advice of some experienced day traders on the forums. I made some initial school boy errors, but have now doubled my money!! :lol:

Why can I pick a share, top-slice it, and buy more holdings when they fall, and have a big profit, left when the so called expert w*****ers just steal my money???

Am I a financial wizard, or just beginners luck?

Anyway, L&G can FO and die!!!

I love this game B)

Edited by Davetolbooth

It may well be beginners luck, or maybe you are the next Buffett! I cannot comment on your methods. The great investors have lamented many times upon becoming managers of billions instead of millions that it is much harder to make money. You cant buy billions worth of shares in tiny companies.

The point about the fees charged by these professional managers is true. They dont need to charge more than 0.5% management fees, and some even charge 2-3% a year! Over the course of 20/30 years, this takes its toll on the portfolio. If you just want to beat the fees problem, I would put my money in a simple index tracker fund.

I've also put my Zurich and Aegon pensions into a SIPP, and while I haven't doubled my money, I have more than made up for the penalty I had to pay for the privilege.

Aegon particularly p*ss*d me off - their trick was not to include the charges on their annual statements, so if you didn't check online, you didn't know how much they were creaming off both your fund and the amount you were putting in each month. Quite monstrous.

So Aegon, you get a big thumbs down for being less than transparent.

Anyway, good luck with your investing. I've started an Investors' Club to try to get more informed on selecting stocks, ETFs etc. I feel I'm really working for my retirement rather than leaving it up to some overpaid "manager" to soak me for fees.

Not bitter, honest.

Well done Sir. I've been looking to do the exact same thing recently and move from L&G, your post has given me the push to sort it out soonest.

Can I ask which forums you've been following? I need to get up to speed and no doubt employ the same schoolboy errors B)

It may well be beginners luck, or maybe you are the next Buffett! I cannot comment on your methods. The great investors have lamented many times upon becoming managers of billions instead of millions that it is much harder to make money. You cant buy billions worth of shares in tiny companies.

The point about the fees charged by these professional managers is true. They dont need to charge more than 0.5% management fees, and some even charge 2-3% a year! Over the course of 20/30 years, this takes its toll on the portfolio. If you just want to beat the fees problem, I would put my money in a simple index tracker fund.

Hi,

I hadn't appreciated just how deep those charges were, until I really looked into it.

Basically the fund value gets slashed - yearon year.

Well done Sir. I've been looking to do the exact same thing recently and move from L&G, your post has given me the push to sort it out soonest.

Can I ask which forums you've been following? I need to get up to speed and no doubt employ the same schoolboy errors B)

Hi notmyhouse / moonunit42.

Yep- no problem mate. I particularly like LSE - London South East. Spend a bit of time watching and reading. Also iii.

I'm investing on the AIM market - but beware, not for the faint hearted. Share values leap around based on rumour. Basically, find a company you like, read their website and then start investigating the facts. But, there are some characters on the bb, who are real experts and will point you in the right direction.

My school boy error, was trying to chase the shares after they went BOOOOOM. Big mistake - it's like chasing a departing train down a platform.

You cannot beat the bigboys and the MM's are expert at manipulating the price and increase their holdings. So, hold your nerve and don't sell. Ignore de-rampers.

Then.....top slice and take a profit. When the shares fall, which they do until the next RNS comes out, buy back in at a lower price.

It's possible to end up with free shares this way, so you can sit back and relax.

I've bought heavily into one particular oily at the moment and expect it to go up big time any moment now. I'm pretty confident that I'll make 400% return on this one. Might be wrong, but feel pretty good about it.

There's another really interesting oily that just recently come to the market.......this really could be massive. When I've the funds I'm piling in there and just holding. They have a licence to drill next to a massive oil field in West Africa. This company is under the radar at the moment, but won't be for long.

But - do your own research. Start small with penny shares and take a profit regularly. Don't get attached to your shares.

Good Luck.

Edited by Davetolbooth

My oily shares have gone up nearly 5% in the last 20 minutes.

Loads of big buys coming in.

The rumour is a great RNS is about to be released by the company.

Today could be a BIG BOOOOOOOM!!!!

I love this game. :D

Maybe time for a HPC Investment Club thread, do you think we can beat the returns offered by professional fund managers?

A great idea. I'm in.

What about recommending shares and post the research. Could save a lot of time and make us some MONEY !!!

(Stuff the fund managers - just one step away from banksters imo)

I'm now onboard the lse and iii, many thanks for the pointers and your informative post. Appreciated.

The investment club thread is a great idea, will anyone start the ball rolling?

I'm now onboard the lse and iii, many thanks for the pointers and your informative post. Appreciated.

The investment club thread is a great idea, will anyone start the ball rolling?

Hi Mate,

Welcome on board.

I'll stick my neck out and start the ball rolling - but beware, the price swings around faster than an old tarts ***s

Have a look at this:

It's gonna be big!

Good luck mate.....remember 'Do Your Own Research'. ;)

Hi Mate,

Welcome on board.

I'll stick my neck out and start the ball rolling - but beware, the price swings around faster than an old tarts ***s

Have a look at this:

It's gonna be big!

Good luck mate.....remember 'Do Your Own Research'. ;)

I just moved my pension into an Alliance Trust Select SIPP http://www.alliancetrustsavings.co.uk/pensions/select-sipp/ will post my investments shortly, above looks like a good punt.

I just moved my pension into an Alliance Trust Select SIPP http://www.alliancet...ns/select-sipp/ will post my investments shortly, above looks like a good punt.

Hi Lazybones,

Good luck mate.

I've masses of research stuff on SOU, if you're interested. It's bouncing off 5p at the moment, but up to 6 RNS' are imminent.

Current known gas reserves hold the share at this price. The market cap is £66 million.

When the shares hit 6.4p, then the market cap goes over 100 million, and the big investors will move in.

Result.......BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !! B)

I'm already sitting on a nice profit with this one.

But hey...DYOR.....High risks and all that m8.

Why can I pick a share, top-slice it, and buy more holdings when they fall, and have a big profit, left when the so called expert w*****ers just steal my money???

Am I a financial wizard, or just beginners luck?

At a guess, bit of both. Here's a prediction: your performance won't go on forever at that level! Select a day of the year (I pick April 5/6th - tax year end) and evaluate or even publish your performance accurately that day without fudge. The losses as well as the gains!

Finding occasional stocks with a very high likelihood of big gains works great for the individual, who is investing 'below the radar' of the Big Boys, and can sometimes take advantage of situations where funds are forced by their rules to make bad transactions. For example, income funds can't hold no-income shares, so had to sell low when bank dividends disappeared, and I as an individual traded profitably on their losses. But I'm a timid soul, and only made big % profits on small stakes :o

I've never dabbled in junior resource shares, so can't comment there.

At a guess, bit of both. Here's a prediction: your performance won't go on forever at that level! Select a day of the year (I pick April 5/6th - tax year end) and evaluate or even publish your performance accurately that day without fudge. The losses as well as the gains!

Finding occasional stocks with a very high likelihood of big gains works great for the individual, who is investing 'below the radar' of the Big Boys, and can sometimes take advantage of situations where funds are forced by their rules to make bad transactions. For example, income funds can't hold no-income shares, so had to sell low when bank dividends disappeared, and I as an individual traded profitably on their losses. But I'm a timid soul, and only made big % profits on small stakes :o

I've never dabbled in junior resource shares, so can't comment there.

Thanks - good advice.

The AIM market can return huge profits, but equally big losses. You don’t go there unless you are prepared to lose the lot.

So far, I’ve made big gains. However,I initially made a couple of bad mistakes and became impaled on a price spike, by chasing a couple of strong risers. One particular share made 30% one minute; I looked 15 minutes later and it was down 20% below the opening price.- I lost 50% on that one alone. Bad choice and I should have top-sliced it early on, but I got greedy. I lost about 30% on another for the same reason. School boy errors!

I’m into oilers in a big way. One has made me about 300% last week alone, but was down heavily yesterday. My guess is it's a ’Pump and Dump’, so I’ve sold ¾ of the holding - top sliced it. My portfolio is about 120% up.

The profit will be going into a newly listed oiler. The number of shares on the market are small - which is good news. They were listed on AIM at 6p - yesterday they were 5.5p. This company could be big, as they have the rights to drill in Ghana, next to a known massive oil field. Talking to some day traders - and a couple are great guys - very open and will give you their research freely, if they hit the black-stuff, it’s possible that the shares will got to £50 each / depends what the reserves turn out to be. If they hit dust, well, I lose the lot.

I’m gonna stick about 12K in there on Tuesday, and leave it alone. Possibly put a stop/loss on it at 2.5p.

Only a fool would follow advice from a forum. Folk need to do their own research. No advice implied here folks.

Only a fool would follow advice from a forum. Folk need to do their own research. No advice implied here folks.

Good advice. Think I'll follow it.

Like every investor, I have a few substantial losses to try and forget. All but one of those stem from failing to heed your advice. That is to say, I saw something discussed in a forum, took an inadequate look, and made a poor decision.

Come to think of it, my biggest successes have been the exact opposite: shares I picked without input from any forum. Picking up ARM at under 90p is my biggest medium-term success to date (it's now over 600p), and that was based purely on seeing its huge potential before the rest of the world caught on.

UPDATE:

I have made some serious losses in the last two weeks.

My AIM market portfolio is 23% down - 40% down from it's peak.

(Just want to be honest and less smug......:P )

But hey...it's only money......:unsure: