House Price Crash Forum

Arrested For Singing Kung-Fu Fighting

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8475965/Pub-singers-racism-arrest-over-Kung-Fu-Fighting-performance.html

A pub singer has been arrested on suspicion of racial harassment after singing King Fu Fighting in front of two Chinese people.

Simon Ledger says he fears he will end up with a criminal record for performing the 1974 disco classic at a seafront bar on the Isle of Wight on Sunday after two people walking past apparently took offence.

The 34-year-old, from the island, regularly features Carl Douglas’s 1974 number one hit in his set when he performs at the Driftwood Beach Bar in Sandown.

But after striking up the melody in front of customers at the weekend he noticed a man of Chinese origin walking past with his mother, making gestures at him and taking a picture on his mobile phone.

He said that he later received a telephone call from police - while he was dining in a Chinese restaurant - asking him to meet officers about the incident.

He was then arrested and questioned before being bailed. A police spokesman said: “Police are investigating an allegation of racially-aggravated harassment. A man from Shanklin was arrested.”

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Are there any offensive lyrics in this song?

edit: don't know me are's from me is's

Everybody was kung-fu fighting

Those cats were fast as lightning

In fact it was a little bit frightning

But they fought with expert timing

They were funky China men from funky Chinatown

They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down

It's an ancient Chinese art and everybody knew their part

From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip

But they fought with expert timing

There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung

He said here comes the big boss, lets get it on

We took a bow and made a stand, started swinging with the hand

The sudden motion made me skip now we're into a brand knew trip

But they did it with expert timing

(repeat)..make sure you have expert timing

Kung-fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning

Perhaps it all means something extremely offensive in Chinese.B)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My 'guess' would be that his 'set' where he performs kung fu fighting is a little more than just singing it, sound like the show is to entertain the chavs on the seafront, and he has probably introduced some zany outfits, make up, offensive remarks/actions into the song that on a normal day anyone with more than an IQ of 90 would find offensive. My guess would be the set has got progressively more offensive week after week until a random Chinese couple stumbled across the show by accident.

EDITED : The band is called 'dueling organs' which suggests there is some offensive stuff in there....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The problems with defining racial slurs is that they morph all the time. Thus they have decided that so long as someone takes offence, then we take their word for it. Since a crime has been committed, there must be a criminal.

In this case the guy figures that kung fu comes from China, he comes from China, thus he is having a dig at him. The problem for the rest of us is that we must figure out all the interpretations available to the most twisted of minds. Since even that twisted interpretation does indeed result in offence and a crime. You have to prove you are innocent.

The singer has to spend time travelling to the police station and being interviewed. Yet he cannot claim back these expenses from the accuser.

Of course if it went to court a jury would just throw it out. But then, the same people that introduced these crimes also removed your right to a jury. So if the administration says you are guilty, you are.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I remember this one.......

"The Phoenix Club, a kind of light entertainment hell, featuring racist band Half A Shilling" :lol::huh:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Good job he didn't sing the 'Ying Tong Song'....actually a friend of mine on holiday on the IOW sent me a pic of a huge shop window display of Golliwogs, which as we all know are the most evil racist inventions ever. Why weren't the police arresting the owners?

Maybe it's no longer politically correct to be politically correct.

Archived