House Price Crash Forum
dipstick

I've Bought!

Well it looks like I have finally done it.

Still got while tomorrow to fall through and knowing my luck..........?

Anyway my reasoning really has a lot to do with stuff that is coming to light at the minute.

I've sat and watched this country dig itself into a hole now for quite a number of years.

Not only the obsession with credit and material goods but also other stuff.

Like working for organisations that supposedly got people back into work (private co's but gov funded), anybody could see it was a numbers game.

The bosses who were, to put it bluntly, bluddy useless. Flacid, arrogant, only concerned with ticking the right boxes to pull down funding or whatever. Not particularly effective at anything only being obscure.

Call centres - Set up to "assist customers" and "improve efficiency". For whom exactly? Me being a cynic I just thought they were cheaper ways to divert customers and pull in a bit of money from the way calls were structured.

Manufacturing is gone.

Farming is on its way out.

We over consume but it is never us, the consumer, that is at fault.

Politicians who are just replicants of the flaccid, arrogant bosses I worked for. Not particularly clever, but they truly believe they are. Not working to our best interests but to their own. Or any large global interest that has the power to influence them.

A country full of bluster and bullshite coming at you from every direction.

This site has been a godsend. It gave me the knowledge to understand what I was witnessing. I wasn't a doom-monger or a conspiricy theorist. Just a realist who knows you can't spend what you haven't got and you can't sell what you don't make and making houses worth 3 times more than they should be benefits very few in the long term.

So I tagged it altogether and came up with the solution that my personal circumstances mean I need to buy something within a reasonable price range asap. Not earning whilst I'm sat waiting so I am losing money in other quarters.

Plus I wanted something not expensive to repair or maintain. I certainly didn't want anything that costs a fortune in fuel bills.

I also needed a small amount of land. For both personal and practical reasons. Not enough to make sure I get involved with the DEFRA bods and their mountain of ever increasing red tape. But enough to ensure I can grow a bit of my own food, have livestock and a bit of woodland fuel.

So I've done it. Got my self a non-conventional build - Don't scream at once. The building societies hate them but there are certain ones that will touch them. They also have little clauses like "We won't lend you more than 3.5x your wage because we don't believe in encouraging excessive debt" - Novel ain't it?

I've paid cash for my place and got 20% off the asking price. It won't be increasing in value (nothing will) but it does meet a lot of the sustainable and ecological criteria and, I think, will be more popular as the energy problems increase.

It's also got an acre of land. Private water supply and septic (so those bills go out the window more or less).

Have I done the right thing? God only knows. But I do feel I have battened down the hatches just before the wave hits.

It's also got an acre of land. Private water supply and septic (so those bills go out the window more or less).

Have I done the right thing? God only knows. But I do feel I have battened down the hatches just before the wave hits.

Sounds good, where is it?

Peter.

You bought for cash and its not an investment property - enough said :). We all make our choices based on our own personal circumstances. Acre of lands abit greedy though unless your gonna let me put my tent on it :lol:

Dipstick - If it feels right when you put the excitement to one side then it is right. Even if the rest of the site dissagrees with you, you have gone to the effort of looking into it, you know the score. So im sure its the right thing for you to do - Whens the house warming party?

:)

Well it looks like I have finally done it.

Still got while tomorrow to fall through and knowing my luck..........?

Anyway my reasoning really has a lot to do with stuff that is coming to light at the minute.

I've sat and watched this country dig itself into a hole now for quite a number of years.

Not only the obsession with credit and material goods but also other stuff.

Like working for organisations that supposedly got people back into work (private co's but gov funded), anybody could see it was a numbers game.

The bosses who were, to put it bluntly, bluddy useless. Flacid, arrogant, only concerned with ticking the right boxes to pull down funding or whatever. Not particularly effective at anything only being obscure.

Call centres - Set up to "assist customers" and "improve efficiency". For whom exactly? Me being a cynic I just thought they were cheaper ways to divert customers and pull in a bit of money from the way calls were structured.

Manufacturing is gone.

Farming is on its way out.

We over consume but it is never us, the consumer, that is at fault.

Politicians who are just replicants of the flaccid, arrogant bosses I worked for. Not particularly clever, but they truly believe they are. Not working to our best interests but to their own. Or any large global interest that has the power to influence them.

A country full of bluster and bullshite coming at you from every direction.

This site has been a godsend. It gave me the knowledge to understand what I was witnessing. I wasn't a doom-monger or a conspiricy theorist. Just a realist who knows you can't spend what you haven't got and you can't sell what you don't make and making houses worth 3 times more than they should be benefits very few in the long term.

So I tagged it altogether and came up with the solution that my personal circumstances mean I need to buy something within a reasonable price range asap. Not earning whilst I'm sat waiting so I am losing money in other quarters.

Plus I wanted something not expensive to repair or maintain. I certainly didn't want anything that costs a fortune in fuel bills.

I also needed a small amount of land. For both personal and practical reasons. Not enough to make sure I get involved with the DEFRA bods and their mountain of ever increasing red tape. But enough to ensure I can grow a bit of my own food, have livestock and a bit of woodland fuel.

So I've done it. Got my self a non-conventional build - Don't scream at once. The building societies hate them but there are certain ones that will touch them. They also have little clauses like "We won't lend you more than 3.5x your wage because we don't believe in encouraging excessive debt" - Novel ain't it?

I've paid cash for my place and got 20% off the asking price. It won't be increasing in value (nothing will) but it does meet a lot of the sustainable and ecological criteria and, I think, will be more popular as the energy problems increase.

Good luck, you have paid cash, got a discount and a fair bit of land. You dont have any debt, you should be very happy. I imagine there are many people envious of you.

I think there will be an increasing number of people with cash waiting and STR's re-entering the market when they percieve that they are getting a fair deal. Even if you have not bought at the rock bottom of the cycle if you dont plan moving and you are not liekly to increase your cash war chest you have in my opinion have done the right thing.

It's in Aberdeenshire Peter.

No excitement about it Chuz. It's been a thoughtful process. I've sat and watched things change. Where I am now renting at a farm, I've watched their bills shoot up to the point where they are now that expensive they could be using the money to mortgage another property in a couple of years.

Plus what I was losing in income wasn't going to save me all that much when prices fall the way things were going. I got them down from about 90k to 70k. Plus the place has PP if I want to build a "standard" home or sell it with just the PP.

To be honest I think that the running costs of a home i.e. water, electricty, heating, rates are, when the price crash comes going to overshadow mortgage payments. What you buy is going to be as important as how much you pay for it.

Greedy - a mere acre - Scotland m'lad - Most folk go for about 20 :P

Plus, it's amazing how many people have said so far, we'll come and stop if we don't find anywhere. It'll be like a bluddy commune!

Dog - What was that somebody said about linking user ids to character?

You bought for cash and its not an investment property - enough said :). We all make our choices based on our own personal circumstances. Acre of lands abit greedy though unless your gonna let me put my tent on it :lol:

Dipstick - If it feels right when you put the excitement to one side then it is right. Even if the rest of the site dissagrees with you, you have gone to the effort of looking into it, you know the score. So im sure its the right thing for you to do - Whens the house warming party?

:)

If its what you want mate and your happy thats all that matters. If you bought it cash even if/when the housing bubble bursts you cannot get into negative equity.

Can we fellow HPC'ers come visit for bonding sessions and survival technics, I'll bring me toggle with its whistle on it in case we get lost. ;)

Edited by Catch22

if hes paid cash and is happy with it and can deal with neg equity then i dont see the problem.

had i slightly more security than i have now perhaps i would also be tempted. since i have to rely on a martgage, i am tied to the economy and work. this i cant trust to pay such bloated sums.

cash payments and being able to live again has its price, but also a lot of benefits.

if i won a lottery i would buy right now at inflated prices. its the same thing.

you cant knock him and this is not a usual case.

"Can we fellow HPC'ers come visit for bonding sessions and survival technics, I'll bring me toggle with its whistle on it in case we get lost"

See, told you. Gone to get away from it all and the place will be bluddy packed!!!

Durch - Don't do Wales yet. I'm in North Wales at the minute. Love it here. The people have been great so don't believe all the rumours (if you didn't already know). But the prices are falling on the rural stuff, even in the "lower" price bracket. Not enough for me to step in which is a shame but there you go. Seen a couple recently that were advertised as "going to tender" i.e. a lot of interest. Neither sold. Still too high but they are getting there.

There is a mill going to tender that is partly renovated in the lower end of Wales. If you are interested let me know and I'll PM you with the details. The guide price is very good.

Means a lot from Liquid cos he/she thinks outside of the box!

And yes, I am looking into windpower (although the battery thing confuses me) and I have the willow trees on order for fuel.

Oh and I am of the female gender (not that I'm insulted or it makes 'apeth of difference) but I thought I would mention it cos it will make you more sympathetic to the battery statement!

Means a lot from Liquid cos he/she thinks outside of the box!

And yes, I am looking into windpower (although the battery thing confuses me) and I have the willow trees on order for fuel.

Oh and I am of the female gender (not that I'm insulted or it makes 'apeth of difference) but I thought I would mention it cos it will make you more sympathetic to the battery statement!

Ignorance is no excuse, school her! :)

Sounds good to me Dipstick

Land is always a good long term bet.

“Their not making it anymore”

There is a huge difference in buying an overpriced semi with largely borrowed money and spending your own cash on somewhere you want to live.

The non conventional build is good too it means you probably paid little more than site with planning permission price for something you can live in.

I know you haven’t bought for investment purposes but I would be surprised if you lost money either short or long term.

Enjoy it and ignore the miserable buggers

Thanks all!

Shame isn't it though that all our mindsets have been forced to look at the investment potential of a home. Whether it is making money per se or looking at future profits/losses.

What should be a pleasant, though stressful, time for most, has now turned into a sink or swim decision.

Ah yes, the earning a living bit Marina!

Well for the past 5 years or so I've been earning a living via eBay.

But it's not as much fun as it used to be and the summer months are pretty much carp.

Not too great a worry though. There is only me to look after and I'll do pretty much anything (Don't even think it Fred!). I've done landwork in the past, plus a load of other things. Guy up there says there is loads of carehome work if I want it.

I am actually qualified to teach in colleges and although I've never been interested in teaching kids before I have taken note that there are a couple of Steiner Schools in the area. Will be looking into that a little bit more.

Plus like I say my outgoings are minimal. Low rateable value, no water rates, sewage emptying minimal, grow a lot of my own fuel.

There isn't any money in smallholding anymore except perhaps selling a few eggs, ducklings, chicks etc. I may not be able to buy posh frocks (like I ever did) but at least I'll eat well!

Oh and I earn a bit of money writing.

Regular but nothing impressive at all but would like to expand that way if I possible could.

Thanks all!

Shame isn't it though that all our mindsets have been forced to look at the investment potential of a home. Whether it is making money per se or looking at future profits/losses.

What should be a pleasant, though stressful, time for most, has now turned into a sink or swim decision.

Ah yes, the earning a living bit Marina!

Well for the past 5 years or so I've been earning a living via eBay.

But it's not as much fun as it used to be and the summer months are pretty much carp.

Not too great a worry though. There is only me to look after and I'll do pretty much anything (Don't even think it Fred!). I've done landwork in the past, plus a load of other things. Guy up there says there is loads of carehome work if I want it.

I am actually qualified to teach in colleges and although I've never been interested in teaching kids before I have taken note that there are a couple of Steiner Schools in the area. Will be looking into that a little bit more.

Plus like I say my outgoings are minimal. Low rateable value, no water rates, sewage emptying minimal, grow a lot of my own fuel.

There isn't any money in smallholding anymore except perhaps selling a few eggs, ducklings, chicks etc. I may not be able to buy posh frocks (like I ever did) but at least I'll eat well!

Oh and I earn a bit of money writing.

Regular but nothing impressive at all but would like to expand that way if I possible could.

You'll be alright dipstick.

Forget the posh frocks BTW, you'll need stout boots, winter woolies (and a decent 4x4) in N Scotland.

I think you got a deal, by my local standards.

70K, plus an acre with PP - I would grab that tomorow. :D

Sadly it is in the wrong end of the country, and I would

have to get a small mortgage, so would need to keep on

working.

Looks like your are planning on a touch of the good life,

you have researched, and don't seem to be in it for a fast buck.

How can it be the wrong thing?

ABB

P.S. I (and I suspect many others) would be interested to hear

your experiences setting up an energy self-sufficient home, so

keep on posting :)