House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pajd

700 Nokia Jobs To Go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13207148

Mobile phone manufacturer Nokia has announced it will shed 7,000 jobs as part of a plan to refocus the company on smartphones.

The firm said 4,000 jobs worldwide would be cut - including a total of 700 jobs from Nokia's UK sites.

Nokia will also transfer a further 3,000 employees to outsourcing and consultancy group Accenture, which will take over Nokia's Symbian software product.

The plan will take effect from 2012.

Nokia is hoping to increase its capacity for smartphone development.

The firm recently confirmed a deal with Microsoft to jointly develop smartphone technology.

Under the terms of that deal, Nokia agreed to start using the Microsoft's operating system on its smartphones instead of its own Symbian platform.

"With this new focus, we also will face reductions in our workforce," said Stephen Elop, Nokia president.

"This is a difficult reality, and we are working closely with our employees and partners to identify long-term re-employment programmes for the talented people of Nokia."

Nokia's response to the smartphone threat from competitors such as Apple's iPhone and phones using Google's Android system has been long been a key investor concern.

How many years has it been since Nokia has had a phone anyone actually wants, after all?

If you just want a £20 candybar which calls and texts, has great reception, lasts a week on a single charge, can be bashed about and still be working after 5 years, then Nokia are great. They should leave the smartphone market alone and stick to what they're good at. Plenty of demand in middle/low income countries (and cheapskates in high income ones!)

If you just want a £20 candybar which calls and texts, has great reception, lasts a week on a single charge, can be bashed about and still be working after 5 years, then Nokia are great. They should leave the smartphone market alone and stick to what they're good at. Plenty of demand in middle/low income countries (and cheapskates in high income ones!)

Yes but the Chinese and Indian companies are making usable cheap handsets for their home markets so Nokia are facing more competition from the bottom as well as the top.

Can't think of any good puns for this.. bit too close to home :(

Symbian is dead it never had the legs to get into the smart phone market,

Apple I Phone is declining its market share, the new kiddie in town is Android and will be going forward. It is taking market share from apple in leaps and bounds.

Hardly surprising when you can get a device that does everything the I phone does with GPS and navigation and thousands of apps in the market for less than <£90 on a payg basis.

The Orange San Francisco is an excellent device once broken from Orange (simples) and is excellent value on giff gaff.

Apple I Phone is declining its market share, the new kiddie in town is Android and will be going forward. It is taking market share from apple in leaps and bounds.

Hardly surprising when you can get a device that does everything the I phone does with GPS and navigation and thousands of apps in the market for less than <£90 on a payg basis.

The Orange San Francisco is an excellent device once broken from Orange (simples) and is excellent value on giff gaff.

plus, and it's a mega plus for me, you don't have to install and use that iTune shite and succumb to the Apple i***** marketing tripe.

All you need is an USB cable for everything.

700 out of about 2400 UK employees... that's about 29% of the workforce.

But at least the public sector won't be hit so hard.

Technology moves on I am afraid these firms have to have their finger on the pulse and adapt or die....

How many washing board manufacturers are there in the UK now as opposed to the year 1910?.

Nokia was a good product in its day, the technology has simply surpassed it..

Pff... surprised it's taken so long, TBH.

How many years has it been since Nokia has had a phone anyone actually wants, after all?

They have some excellent phones. I've seen nothing I'd want to exchange my E71 for.

When Nokia had their internal three-way split, they created what should have been two successful divisions: the business-oriented E-series created some great products, and the cheap-as-chips phones are still perfectly good. Evidently bungling management, brand ambiguity, and lately aimless drifting, are dragging down the good bits.

Technology moves on I am afraid these firms have to have their finger on the pulse and adapt or die....

How many washing board manufacturers are there in the UK now as opposed to the year 1910?.

Nokia was a good product in its day, the technology has simply surpassed it..

There's nothing wrong with continuing to run a good business for as long as it is profitable, even if the market is shrinking slowly over time. There could still be decades left in the basic handset business, or even longer. Your washboard analogy is extreme in that the new technology of washing machines was hugely superior to the old. Bicycles still exist despite the combustion engine, and PCs did not totally replace pocket calculators. Sometimes simple and cheap is better than complex and expensive. Nokia might actually destroy shareholder value by putting its efforts into smartphones while ignoring its core business.

They have some excellent phones. I've seen nothing I'd want to exchange my E71 for.

When Nokia had their internal three-way split, they created what should have been two successful divisions: the business-oriented E-series created some great products, and the cheap-as-chips phones are still perfectly good. Evidently bungling management, brand ambiguity, and lately aimless drifting, are dragging down the good bits.

I have an old Nokia brick, it's bloody indestructible and goes with me to music festivals and other events where I might encounter thieves, or myself, pished as a fart.

Getting rid of the Symbian crowd as Nokia moves to Windows Phone 7.

I read that Nokia employees going in Finland are getting a 100K each when they are fired? I guess the Danish ones will get similar. The UK ones - fecked, but then they have had a good 12 years out of Symbian.

Windows Phone 7 – Microsoft, Nokia and the Fish People

http://www.hecticshoot.com/2011/04/21/windows-phone-7-%E2%80%93-microsoft-nokia-and-the-fish-people/

+1

Even if a technology works fine, it will still be designed to be obsolete.... I mean how else can manufacturers push onto you their new products?

I think you miss the point Ken. Symbian is a pile of crude and it was a pile of crud in 1998. Nokia just kept trying to push it down the throats of people. I know plenty of IT boys today who have been laughing at the Nokia redundancies.

How many of those boys and girls have made a fortune from 12 plus years of Symbian development whilst Nokia's market share has just plunged?

Agreed. In my experience the staff of Nokia and their suppliers are unprofessional and not focused on their jobs.

Good news the management is shaking up the culture.

The management were the ones at the helm when it all went wrong so ideally they should be going first. But as always, they get to stay and fire everyone they've ******ed over first.

I think you miss the point Ken. Symbian is a pile of crude and it was a pile of crud in 1998. Nokia just kept trying to push it down the throats of people. I know plenty of IT boys today who have been laughing at the Nokia redundancies.

How many of those boys and girls have made a fortune from 12 plus years of Symbian development whilst Nokia's market share has just plunged?

Yeah, God knows why Nokia stuck with it for so long. It was just about useful back when 'Smartphones' meant a small, non-touch screen. Once they became about large touchscreens it was beyond a joke.

Nokia literally just handed leadership of the (Western) mobile phone market to Apple by failing to produce a decent smartphone despite having been the #1 handset maker for years (just as Sony handed the mobile music market to Apple's iPod). Looks like Google have the best long-term strategy though, I don't really give much for Microsoft's chances of success with their Windows for phone OS.

The 700 UK people should get jobs no problem as they have experience in a technology that is growing smartphones and apps.

It is the Finns that should be worried, back in 2000 Nokia was 3.3% of Finnish GDP but 40% of exports. This has steadily declined to 1.6% of GDP and not a lot of exports as cheap phones are now made in Chindia.