House Price Crash Forum

Me And The Countess Has Had A Falling Out....

HOLA441

The countess decided last weekend to register for olympic tickets.

She booked some minority events in "the hope of getting tickets".

When I totted it all up, she'd committed to buy £2000 worth of tickets !!!

I told her to cancel them all, she wasn't very happy. I asked her if she really wanted to go and see BMX biking !!!

Now, I've no idea where we'll be in 12 months time, and even if we get 1/10 of the tickets, we might still owe £200+

It seems a lot of money to fork out so long from an event, and if I understand correctly, you have to pay pretty much now and they sit on your money.

Is it me,or is this just a rip off ?

Me and the countess are not talking today, all thanks to the London Olympics :angry:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I told her to cancel them all, she wasn't very happy. I asked her if she really wanted to go and see BMX biking !!!

Now, I've no idea where we'll be in 12 months time, and even if we get 1/10 of the tickets, we might still owe £200+

It seems a lot of money to fork out so long from an event, and if I understand correctly, you have to pay pretty much now and they sit on your money.

Me and the countess are not talking today, all thanks to the London Olympics :angry:

Does the countess appreciate that the first indication of ticket success will be when the money is charged in May? £2k for the 'full house', I presume she is loaded!

FWIW I imagine that most of the minority events will see tickets being reduced in price to shift 'em. It is a rip off. As an anecdote, my local sports (badminton) club was offered two 'guaranteed' tickets to an Olympic session via the sport's national association. The club chairman elected to take up the offer on the basis that someone in the club would be interested in paying the price and attending the session. The result? Club has now bought two tickets for a 3 1/2 hour session(not even a full day, how tight is that!). The price? £95 each. No takers, and that's amongst people who are interested in the sport, and not all that far from London. Compare and contrast with a ticket for the finals day of the All-England badminton tournament(sort of a badminton 'Grand Slam' equivalent, to borrow the tennis phraseology), you get a decent seat all day for £30-£40 max, and see many more matches. And you can take your own food. No contest.

There are cheaper tickets available in most sessions, and for oldies and young 'uns prices are limited. But for normal folks who fancy a decent seat, forget it. Will be interesting to see the stats.

Makes me think though, perhaps there will be plenty of people like your missus who will end in in the meedja because they signed up for shedloads and haven't got the readies to cover it when they win 'em all!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Ha Ha. Do you honestly believe all that guff about there being a rush for tickets? Well there might be for the Opening Ceremony and a few other bits where it would be good to say that you went like the 100 metres final. But the Olympics are just a bunch of dross sports and sports like football that shouldnt be there.

The cost to the taxpayer is vast. Apparently they have spent over £10 billion building the venues, a figure that I am sure will go up. To make it look like it is going to run a profit, they have separated out the notion of 'staging the games', to pretend that building the venues doesnt count as real money. And even 'staging the games' will take an almighty loss if they dont sell enough tickets.

Better tell your wife to go and buy some more BMX tickets when they come back on sell again, you know it will be good for the taxpayer.

HOLA445

Does the countess appreciate that the first indication of ticket success will be when the money is charged in May? £2k for the 'full house', I presume she is loaded!

FWIW I imagine that most of the minority events will see tickets being reduced in price to shift 'em. It is a rip off. As an anecdote, my local sports (badminton) club was offered two 'guaranteed' tickets to an Olympic session via the sport's national association. The club chairman elected to take up the offer on the basis that someone in the club would be interested in paying the price and attending the session. The result? Club has now bought two tickets for a 3 1/2 hour session(not even a full day, how tight is that!). The price? £95 each. No takers, and that's amongst people who are interested in the sport, and not all that far from London. Compare and contrast with a ticket for the finals day of the All-England badminton tournament(sort of a badminton 'Grand Slam' equivalent, to borrow the tennis phraseology), you get a decent seat all day for £30-£40 max, and see many more matches. And you can take your own food. No contest.

There are cheaper tickets available in most sessions, and for oldies and young 'uns prices are limited. But for normal folks who fancy a decent seat, forget it. Will be interesting to see the stats.

Makes me think though, perhaps there will be plenty of people like your missus who will end in in the meedja because they signed up for shedloads and haven't got the readies to cover it when they win 'em all!

Good anecdote, I think this willbe the case upand downt he country.

Your point:

"All-England badminton tournament(sort of a badminton 'Grand Slam' equivalent, to borrow the tennis phraseology), you get a decent seat all day for £30-£40 max"

...is spot on. You can have a good day out at wimbledon ( or an equivalent major sporting event ) for less than the ticket prices for the olumpics.

Ha Ha. Do you honestly believe all that guff about there being a rush for ticke

No, but she did !!! It just shows the power of advertising....or how daft women can be with money :lol:

HOLA446

Good anecdote, I think this willbe the case upand downt he country.

Your point:

"All-England badminton tournament(sort of a badminton 'Grand Slam' equivalent, to borrow the tennis phraseology), you get a decent seat all day for £30-£40 max"

...is spot on. You can have a good day out at wimbledon ( or an equivalent major sporting event ) for less than the ticket prices for the olumpics.

£30 for finals day(Sunday), and you could have bought a ticket to go to all six days for £80.

http://www.allenglandbadminton.com/2011/ticket7.jpg

http://www.allenglandbadminton.com/tickets.htm

The 'limpics is a total pisstake. Crowd will be full of boomers and babies.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I had a look at the prices for events - minimum - that is the lowest price - £20 a ticket.

Add onto that airport style security - no food or drink allowed into the events and it's an expensive and annoying day out.

I reckon that the Olympics will be a failure - I've had that opinion for a long time (since London won it)

It will not boost the economy (more than it costs) it will be poorly attended and will become a giant white elephant.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The 'limpics is a total pisstake. Crowd will be full of boomers and babies in debt idiots.

Most of the cost of this is paid for by taxpayers. And the reason costs are so high is to keep the ex-sportsmen troughers in the money.

£10 billion on sporting venues, that is a lot of money.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Will there even be a crowd?

Personally I doubt it.... most people I know couldn't care less about the Olympics and are not looking forward to 6 months of sustained meedja Blitzkrieg exploring EVER irrelevant event in minute detail.

If you can't get out of Britain you'll have to take the plug off the telly for 6 weeks.

HOLA4415

I'm hopefully going to see loads of events - and I shall enjoy it.

Yes I'd never normally pay to watch kayak races or BMX events but in the context of this being the only Olympic games in the UK in my lifetime and life all being about experiences I shall happily pay up.

I'm reserving all my cynicism and grumpiness for the media *****fest that is the Royal Wedding

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yes I'd never normally pay to watch kayak races or BMX events but in the context of this being the only Olympic games in the UK in my lifetime and life all being about experiences I shall happily pay up.

I'm reserving all my cynicism and grumpiness for the media *****fest that is the Royal Wedding

Are you taking the Mick or have you really bought a ticket to watch Kayak racing? How much did you bid for it?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Are you taking the Mick or have you really bought a ticket to watch Kayak racing? How much did you bid for it?

probably cheaper to actually go Kayaking somewhere rural and beautiful in the UK, more of an experience too...

HOLA4420

Erm ...

Why would you try to run kayaks in a part of the world that has neither hills nor substantial rainfall? Do they put up a saltwater fountain or do something even more stupid?

HOLA4421

Can you not just sell any spares on eBay/gumtree? Might even make a profit.

No, they have said they are clamping down on this. I think they have made agreements with eBay, etc. to stop it.

They are going to be putting up their own site to sell on any tickets you don't want, but I suspect that will be at cost price so no scalping for you!

HOLA4422

I hope you enjoy it. I'd like to go too, but not under these conditions/rules.

I'd rather go to:

+ The world cup final

+ Wimbledon mens final

+ The world atheltics championships

+ The european/champions league final

+ The world swimming championship.

+ etc etc etc.

All of which I can do as and when I choose, not have them rammed down my throat.

HOLA4423

I've bid for the cheapest tickets £20-£40 depending on event in every class for:

Opening and Closing ceremonies (no chance)

3 sessions of athletics (again no chance as they are the evenings when everything good is on)

1 session of swimming (low chance as it is the main events)

1 session of track cycling (low chance as it is the finals)

1 session of BMX racing (low chance as it is the finals plus small capacity)

1 session of Kayak Slalom (pretty much guaranteed ticket plus it is being held about 40 minutes drive away and costs £20 a ticket)

1 football match ( guaranteed ticket and l love football of any standard so will enjoy it regardless)

If I get everything then £1.2k will come off my card (there are 3-4 of us for every event)

I'd easily be able to resell all but the Football and Kayaking tickets

HOLA4424

I hope you enjoy it. I'd like to go too, but not under these conditions/rules.

I'd rather go to:

+ The world cup final

+ Wimbledon mens final

+ The world atheltics championships

+ The european/champions league final

+ The world swimming championship.

+ etc etc etc.

All of which I can do as and when I choose, not have them rammed down my throat.

Oh don't get me wrong the ticketing process is a disgrace.

In Australia I went to the ticket office the day before and got tickets for events like that.

This system is pure greed and it has annoyed me.

HOLA4425

No, they have said they are clamping down on this. I think they have made agreements with eBay, etc. to stop it.

They are going to be putting up their own site to sell on any tickets you don't want, but I suspect that will be at cost price so no scalping for you!

I know someone who has put 3K worth on a credit card without realizing he could get held to every penny and can't pick and choose from whichever ones he is allocated. I suspect he is in for a nasty shock. I suspect they needed to generate a sheep-like last-minute rush because interest is low. Transport will be horrendous and it will be televised to 10 decimal places, it will have a very low call on shrinking disposable incomes.

Archived