House Price Crash Forum
maxdiver

Living In A Caravan

I've just come back to Aberdeen after cycling from Edinburgh - I've got a bit of sunburn and my legs don't want to move for a few days. :)

Maybe it was the sunny weather - but I passed some really nice seaside villages and especially caravan parks.

Now, if you said to me a week ago "Max, how about living in a caravan on the East Coast of Scotland near Dundee?" I would have laughed at you.

But I can see a lot of attractions to it.

The cost of living there is lowish - sure you have to pay your fees to the park - but that is not too disimilar to paying for factoring/a service charge on an apartment.

Maybe there is less/ no council tax to pay.

You are right beside some truly wonderful beaches and close to amenities and towns/cities.

People (neighbours) might be really friendly and give that community feel that people like.

Most of all - the caravans are designed to be lived in and some are larger than flats I've seen on the market. They are private, spacious and modern - set in nice surroundings

On top of all that - they are a lot lot cheaper than your equivalent Slave Box.

Has anyone here any experience of living in a caravan - or holidaying.

The last time I was in one was years ago and it seemed a little cramped with me, 6 friends and a mountain of beer. :)

In simple economic terms - the cost of living in a caravan is maybe about the same as living in a house - but the cost of the caravan is much much less. Could this be a new option to the priced out generation?

I've just come back to Aberdeen after cycling from Edinburgh - I've got a bit of sunburn and my legs don't want to move for a few days. :)

Maybe it was the sunny weather - but I passed some really nice seaside villages and especially caravan parks.

Now, if you said to me a week ago "Max, how about living in a caravan on the East Coast of Scotland near Dundee?" I would have laughed at you.

The cost of living there is lowish - sure you have to pay your fees to the park - but that is not too disimilar to paying for factoring/a service charge on an apartment.

You are right beside some truly wonderful beaches and close to amenities and towns/cities.

People (neighbours) might be really friendly and give that community feel that people like.

Most of all - the caravans are designed to be lived in and some are larger than flats I've seen on the market. They are private, spacious and modern - set in nice surroundings

The last time I was in one was years ago and it seemed a little cramped with me, 6 friends and a mountain of beer. :)

In simple economic terms - the cost of living in a caravan is maybe about the same as living in a house - but the cost of the caravan is much much less. Could this be a new option to the priced out generation?

If you are buying one make sure the person selling it does actually own it. Strange things can happen on caravan parks in Scotland

Some people claimed to have paid up to £10,000 for a caravan, intending to rent it out, only to find out later that it did not appear to belong to them.

In other cases, caravans appeared to have been sold on to other buyers without the owners' knowledge.

One caravanner said: "It's shocking. Some people have spent their life savings and sold their houses to retire here

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Fraud--inquiry-rocks-sedate.5540958.jp

What about a mobile home? Travel about a bit and go wild camping so less fees to pay.

Fuel cost is the only downer?

I think many of htese places require you to leave for 1 month every year. Probably something to do with tax or whatever. Sure someone here will know.

I was gonna say... try repeating the holiday in December or January and see where you're at.

It's a winter tradition in E.Scotland to bury your caravan in the ground..

;)

Edit : I still want one of these, hopefully more have been built in Scotland since this was the first

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I was going to do an update for my 4th year anniversary this year :)

Im still in the bus, house prices have dropped 20% since then, and I'm not far away from buying for cash now - If I really want to.. freedom from debt, worry, stress etc is so so nice! :)

I'll do some new pics maybe this weekend.

Im still in the bus, house prices have dropped 20% since then, and I'm not far away from buying for cash now - If I really want to.. freedom from debt, worry, stress etc is so so nice! :)

4 years, well done.

Having to move out for a few months over the Winter is not a big problem I would have thought.

I guess that many of the residents go on a cruise at that time - or go and visit relatives. :huh:

You'll need to be selective. For instance, the caravan park in one town (forever linked to smokies!) fill's with West coast families on Social Services sponsored holidays during the summer. It can be...... erm..... entertaining of an evening!

You'll need to be selective. For instance, the caravan park in one town (forever linked to smokies!) fill's with West coast families on Social Services sponsored holidays during the summer. It can be...... erm..... entertaining of an evening!

I went passed maybe the one you are thinking about - on a Bank Holiday week - there were a large number of people, lobster sunburn, flab and tattoos - grisly!

My advice:

Get a bus not a caravan - be more mobile.

If you spend all your time in 1 spot you'll be sick of it - if you have a new view every few days you want feel enclosed in a small space.

Heating a bus or caravan takes next to no time - and you wont need heating at all in the Summer - and therefore you dont need to 'plug -in' - live for free in the Summer not at some overcrowded tourist camp!

Buses will run off diesel - get a diesel heater for the Winter that runs straight off your tank. Cost will be approx 1.5 litres of diesel per night (if you love it hot!).. but this will give you freedom of staying wherever you like Summer or Winter.

I've installed 2 solar panels, and have low power computer (fit-pc2) and LED monitor etc. No problems at all for my running all appliances for pc/internet/tv/movies etc for free from the sun - or in most cases cloud :)

Enjoy you new found freedom and go travelling often - its not costing you anymore to be living by that beach/mountain/forrest than it was living at your usual location - your not paying rent/mortgage whilst your not there!

You'll save a ton of money on your living expenses - so put some aside - but also WORK LESS! You'll be saving more than if you had a rental anyway. (a council tax bill is more than it costs for my accomodation plus bills FOR A WHOLE YEAR!)

My advice:

Get a bus not a caravan - be more mobile.

If you spend all your time in 1 spot you'll be sick of it - if you have a new view every few days you want feel enclosed in a small space.

Heating a bus or caravan takes next to no time - and you wont need heating at all in the Summer - and therefore you dont need to 'plug -in' - live for free in the Summer not at some overcrowded tourist camp!

Buses will run off diesel - get a diesel heater for the Winter that runs straight off your tank. Cost will be approx 1.5 litres of diesel per night (if you love it hot!).. but this will give you freedom of staying wherever you like Summer or Winter.

I've installed 2 solar panels, and have low power computer (fit-pc2) and LED monitor etc. No problems at all for my running all appliances for pc/internet/tv/movies etc for free from the sun - or in most cases cloud :)

Enjoy you new found freedom and go travelling often - its not costing you anymore to be living by that beach/mountain/forrest than it was living at your usual location - your not paying rent/mortgage whilst your not there!

You'll save a ton of money on your living expenses - so put some aside - but also WORK LESS! You'll be saving more than if you had a rental anyway. (a council tax bill is more than it costs for my accomodation plus bills FOR A WHOLE YEAR!)

How much did the solar panels cost? Where did you get them from?

At 1.5 litres of diesel a night for the heater that's over £60 a month. Is that cheaper than a portable gas heater?

Do you have a satellite dish or just use the net for TV? If you have a dish is it reliable? There is a site here about that sort of thing http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Which broadband package are you on now?

How much is diesel costing you a month?

Went walking in Lakes over wkend, staying in large caravan (not mine) with all the bells and whistles. Caravan and campsite facilities top notch, location spectacular etc, but was suprised by cost - £11 per person per night on top of fees for van itself. so £22 for a couple per night. Not sure what the long term rates were like but you're nearly up to flat rent/mtge cost for very small space.

On top of that you've got the (apparently mandatory :P) cost of the biggest 4x you can find. since when did 'camping' require Rangeys and Discos? Looked like a camping 'bubble' to me :rolleyes:

There are hotels that cater for the one month thing in winter, place in sandylands lincolnshire called the Grange if i remember did a full week for just £80 as nobody else was staying there much. I'd hate having to haul a big caravan about, a VW camper would be better but no home to live in really.

Caravans and buses are a good idea, if you can move with them to Spain et. al. for the winter.

Can you imagine trying to stay warm in one of those after this winter, especially those of you who live in the north?

Glad that your bus thread poped up.

I always wondered where you registered the bus and drivers licence etc. Do you just have an accomodation address?

On top of that you've got the (apparently mandatory :P) cost of the biggest 4x you can find. since when did 'camping' require Rangeys and Discos? Looked like a camping 'bubble' to me :rolleyes:

NO, this is the camping bubble. :rolleyes:

transparent-bubble-tent.jpg

post-5426-0-67427000-1303914416_thumb.jpg

Mobile homes come in two flavours- the holiday home and residential.

The Holiday variety normally have the limitation mentioned- you can only be there 10 or eleven months a year- and many are quite short leases of about ten or twelve years.

The residential parks are ok but your legal position is far weaker than a house owner- for example if your mobile home is deemed too run down looking the park owner can demand you replace it or refurbish it- often they benefit financially from this so you can see a problem here.

Mobile homes come in two flavours- the holiday home and residential.

The Holiday variety normally have the limitation mentioned- you can only be there 10 or eleven months a year- and many are quite short leases of about ten or twelve years.

The residential parks are ok but your legal position is far weaker than a house owner- for example if your mobile home is deemed too run down looking the park owner can demand you replace it or refurbish it- often they benefit financially from this so you can see a problem here.

Yes - residential parks seem a bit of a ripoff to me. Better to live in a holiday park and move somewhere else for one month or so a year. Alternatively, come to a private arrangement with a farmer, that way you won't need to share your field with millions of chavs. Do they really get state-sponsored holidays??! Alternatively buy a van, as it is legal to camp wild in Scotland. Only use campsites when you need to fill up, pump out etc. If you are not location dependent, just drive south for the winter to save on fuel. Good luck - there are loads of websites on the subject by the way, and also a good book called 'Off Grid' by somebody Rosen.

I'm an accidental caravan owner. My wife's dad bought us one as a present a few years ago. It a big twin-axel one, and is huge. So big in fact that I can't actually tow it on the road, as the combined weight of it and my Land Cruiser means that I can't drive it on a normal (post-1997) driving license, and would have to take some sort of lorry test. So it spends all it's time permanently located on a holiday site in East Sussex.

It's really well appointed, modern inside, proper beds, fully equipped kitchen, flatscreen HD digital TV, DVD, proper bathroom with toilet, shower, etc. It's nice to stay in for upto a week, but wouldn't want to live there. Even a big caravan like this does feel very cramped, even compared to a flat.

Cost to pitch it are about £90 a week or so (and about £300 a year to store it when it's not pitched). It's also £28 a month to insure. So cost savings wouldn't be huge - as I'm sure you could rent a much bigger flat for under £90 a week.

(Pictures of the model I've got attached below).

e1.jpg

e2.JPG

post-7-0-39398800-1303919421_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-66900700-1303919429_thumb.jpg

Glad that your bus thread poped up.

I always wondered where you registered the bus and drivers licence etc. Do you just have an accomodation address?

We have livedin our caravan for 2 summers ,nothing like England in the summer. We have a "Home " site near to our accomodation address for all the corres etc . In the winter we put the van into store and drive to Southern Spain where for about 10 pounds a night we rent a luxury flat with all facilities . Why bother taking a caravan spouth when there are millions of empty flats just waiting to be rented in Spain