House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Beware - Silver's Story For A Day

HOLA441

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42726288

Silver Crashed 11% in 24 Hours

Shortly after the start of overnight trading at 12:10 a.m. on Monday, silver futures surged to a multi-year high of $49.82 per ounce. Nine hours later, by the start of stock market trading in the U.S., the May Silver contract was down eight percent. Shortly before midnight Monday, the futures would touch a low of $44.61, completing a 10.5 percent correction in less than 24 hours.

Because the bulk of those moves took place in off-hours electronic trading, and because the metal pared some of the losses quickly, many investors may have not even noticed the wipeout. Silver ended regular trading at $45.06 on Tuesday.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Shortly after the start of overnight trading at 12:10 a.m. on Monday, silver futures surged to a multi-year high of $49.82 per ounce. Nine hours later, by the start of stock market trading in the U.S., the May Silver contract was down eight percent. Shortly before midnight Monday, the futures would touch a low of $44.61, completing a 10.5 percent correction in less than 24 hours.

Because the bulk of those moves took place in off-hours electronic trading, and because the metal pared some of the losses quickly, many investors may have not even noticed the wipeout. Silver ended regular trading at $45.06 on Tuesday.

Total non-story. Sometime on Wednesday 20 April silver reached a 30-year high of $45.

Then during the rest of Wed, Thu, Fri and the start of Mon it went up to $49. Then it went down again to $45 by Tuesday 26 April, wiping off the gains of, oo, let me see, 3 days, returning to last week's 30-year high. Hardly devastating.

Somehow the article misses that silver was $26 three months ago, and is now £45. A rise of 73% in three months, or 797% annualised if I've done my sums right. Could it be that someone desperate is trying to talk the market down?

HOLA444

It was always going to bounce off $50, this number is very physiological for Silver, don't worry though, $50 will be the rear view mirror soon enough...

While ever the paper pushers are offering negative real interest rates I'll stick with metals thank you very much, the yellow one mainly...

HOLA445

Such a movement was actually predicted.

A large number of people predicted that TPTB would pound them price over the easter weekend while people were not looking. Unfortunately they didn't count on Asia which does not celebrate easter pushing the price up.

Besides its just a dip for a chance to buy some more if you've got the $$ to do so.

HOLA446

Yeah it did crash very quickly , so quickly in fact that RB has not had time yet to make a 'PMs are dead , cash is KING' type thread.

Silver dropping 4 dollars is just more proof of the massive deflation we are in store for shortly.

HOLA447

Total shill Bs!

This is what happens at expiry and is expected by everyone. That is why so many go short in the week of expiry, I messed it up and only caught 350 pips but am sure that others have made fortunes by shorting silver this week.

Dont worry, the shills will be quiet next week :lol:

HOLA448

It was always going to bounce off $50, this number is very physiological for Silver, don't worry though, $50 will be the rear view mirror soon enough...

While ever the paper pushers are offering negative real interest rates I'll stick with metals thank you very much, the yellow one mainly...

Do you think that we will see a similar bounce when (if?) it begins to approach $50 again? Also interesting what you said about 'the yellow stuff' - shame it costs so much to invest in though.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

take a look at the volatility in the 2006 correction to realize why 11% is just noise:

volatility2006.jpg

the trick is to see where the volatility channels are if you are lucky enough to identify them early

HOLA4416

Do you think that we will see a similar bounce when (if?) it begins to approach $50 again? Also interesting what you said about 'the yellow stuff' - shame it costs so much to invest in though.

I'm sure there will be a tussle at $50 with Silver just like the tussle we had at $1500 with Gold.

Playing the short side above $49 could be fun for a while with lots of profits to be had on the downside swings, trouble is once it breaks upwards you'll be left holding the baby - just like JP Morgan ;-)

I hear you with regards to the price of Gold, I was hoping for another lurch down so I could load back up, but it just ain't happening. I'm hoping the FED's end of QE-2 smoke and mirrors game will provide another buying opportunity some time soon. Hopefully before QE-3 sets sail ;-)

HOLA4417

I'm sure there will be a tussle at $50 with Silver just like the tussle we had at $1500 with Gold.

Playing the short side above $49 could be fun for a while with lots of profits to be had on the downside swings, trouble is once it breaks upwards you'll be left holding the baby - just like JP Morgan ;-)

I hear you with regards to the price of Gold, I was hoping for another lurch down so I could load back up, but it just ain't happening. I'm hoping the FED's end of QE-2 smoke and mirrors game will provide another buying opportunity some time soon. Hopefully before QE-3 sets sail ;-)

Silver Brits 4 years ago @£12 per oz after VAT and delivery from royal mint

Now ...

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishSilver/BR11AGN.aspx

Tis a big move ( VAT jumped to 20%)... but regardless that's a big fugging swing!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419