House Price Crash Forum
pl1

Hpc "a V" Referendum Poll

HPC straw poll for 5th May vote

I preferred V back in the 80s to be honest. However, the newer Battleship Galatica was waaaaay better than the original

I preferred V back in the 80s to be honest. However, the newer Battleship Galatica was waaaaay better than the original

Kirsty Allsop reminds me of the V aliens in human form, strangely...

NO to AV

If we had AV at the last election, Gordon Brown would still be PM **shudder**

sorry, but that is b0ll0x, please justify this

no other party would have gone into coalition with GB

sorry, but that is b0ll0x, please justify this

no other party would have gone into coalition with GB

Don't have to. AV support is waning daily.

I am not opposed to a change in the voting system, but I am against this system of AV. We are just going through motions given that it was a clause in the coalition agreement and happens to be a little fetish of the Lib/Dems.

Don't have to. AV support is waning daily.

I am not opposed to a change in the voting system, but I am against this system of AV. We are just going through motions given that it was a clause in the coalition agreement and happens to be a little fetish of the Lib/Dems.

you sum up the anti-AV campaign quite precisely - no justiofication, no logical support, simply 'we don't want that kind of thing, think what might happen'

this is the reason I am voting 'yes' - the 'no' camp baffles me

The bookies are suggesting the No will have it. About 1/5 last time I checked.

I couldn't care less. Seems like a waste of money and would change very little if it was a yes.

The campaign from both sides has been pathetic.

What do we think the turnout will be? I hope it's less than 25%, just to show the politicians that no-one cares about their stupid little self obsessed cr.p!

.... rant over.

you sum up the anti-AV campaign quite precisely - no justiofication, no logical support, simply 'we don't want that kind of thing, think what might happen'

this is the reason I am voting 'yes' - the 'no' camp baffles me

Well the latest news is that the Yes campaign have had to draft in Lord Mandelson for help. Desperate measures!

Well the latest news is that the Yes campaign have had to draft in Lord Mandelson for help. Desperate measures!

same again

'we're right because, well, look at Mandelson, I mean, would you want him raising your kids? looking after your grandmother? exactly, and besides, AV smells'

same again

'we're right because, well, look at Mandelson, I mean, would you want him raising your kids? looking after your grandmother? exactly, and besides, AV smells'

Well that and its not a very good system, and only cobbled together at the last moment, as a compromise measure to form a coalition government.

some of the No reasons are amusing - from the Indie (selected):

No:

Jenna Soame, 26, Big Issue volunteer manager

I've seen the effect of the spending cuts in my work, and think we need an overhaul and rethink of politics.

Helen Salter, 67, retired

People have lost trust in politicians. They're a stone's throw from where I live in Lambeth, but they haven't a clue what life is like there.

so to summarise - we need change, so I must vote 'no'

saying that AV would hace kept Gordon Brown in power without providing logical support is borderline genius against these...

Well that and its not a very good system, and only cobbled together at the last moment, as a compromise measure to form a coalition government.

It's not perfect by any means, but it *is* better than FPTP.

OK, fair play, so let me tease the next step out of you - how (I am genuinely interested) is it not very good?

NO to AV

Genuinely interested here - but how can you claim this?

As we did not have AV at the last election there is no factual way to tell who people would have placed as their 2nd, 3rd choices etc....

As there is no obligation to rank all candidates (although you do need to choose at least 1 :lol: ), we could have had exactly the same result! Read this

All this fuss from the no campaign is getting rather silly TBH

Genuinely interested here - but how can you claim this?

As we did not have AV at the last election there is no factual way to tell who people would have placed as their 2nd, 3rd choices etc....

Nor first choices, either.

You can be sure many (but not how many) of the votes cast for our current MPs (i.e. the winning candidates) were in fact second or third preferences. They call it "tactical voting", and it's an artifact of a broken, antidemocratic voting system.

Nor first choices, either.

You can be sure many (but not how many) of the votes cast for our current MPs (i.e. the winning candidates) were in fact second or third preferences. They call it "tactical voting", and it's an artifact of a broken, antidemocratic voting system.

**EXACTLY**

I'm surprised that they haven't linked AV with an increased rate of infant mortality yet.. :lol:

I had a conversation the other night with a couple of mates - all above average earners in quite responsible jobs. All were worried that if AV was used, they would be forced to rank people who they didn't want to vote for. Not one NOT ONE had read the info from the electoral commission and chose to listen to the hysterical rantings of some very worried MP's in marginal constituencies.

I soon put them right. We then went back to drinking :ph34r:

Public servants are there to serve......some are sitting there pretty, safe and secure no need to bother, but they are there to work for us, they are required to keep on their toes.......question? given we can vote in order of preference, can those who prefer to only vote for only one preference, say they only feel they only want to vote for a particular party........will their vote be counted as one vote, being they have no second choice.....making AV flexible to all? ;)

Edited by winkie

NO to AV

As AV is a majoritarian and not a proportional system, your claim is unknowable.

I would have expected UKIP, Greens and the BNP to have done much better on first preference votes than they did in the present system.

(I won't call it FPTP because there is no post; under AV the post stands a 50%)

In many constituencies this would have made no difference.

In an undecisive first preference scenario, how the second preferences of the fringe candidates might have fallen is also speculative.