House Price Crash Forum
rantnrave

G.d.p. Figures Tomorrow

Any guesses?

Another minus figure and we're officially back in recession.

A small positive figure of less than 0.5% and it's 'steady as she goes'.

A large positive figure, greater than 0.5% and the way is cleared for an IR hike in May?

Any guesses?

A large positive figure, greater than 0.5% and the way is cleared for an IR hike in May?

No rise. Whatever the figure, the situation will remain 'delicate'.

I am expecting them to be unexpectedly low.

The waiter is still waiting for Brown's miracle to be paid for and its well past lunchtime.

I would go short of £ if I could--and long on US treasuries again (which I can!).

Seems odd that such a pile of buffoons wouldn't try to pull some stunt to at least make it non-negative.

It will be -0.3% but, they will cunningly add an extra - sign in front of this figure. As 2 negatives make a positive, they will be able to then switch the --0.3% to a +0.3% and save us from the evil that is the double dipper.

phew.

It will be -0.3% but, they will cunningly add an extra - sign in front of this figure. As 2 negatives make a positive, they will be able to then switch the --0.3% to a +0.3% and save us from the evil that is the double dipper.

phew.

Bring on the double dip.....does anyone actually believe we went out of recession ?

They'll be unexpectetd and whatever way they go they will be used as reason for keeping IR's low !!!

:lol:

Queue American Drawl//

Last time they where unexpectedly unexpected - this time they will be expectedly unexpected. The pattern is clear and emerging, we are moving back to an expectedly expected situation.

\\End of the Rumsfeldian Rantation.

Any guesses?

I reckon b - small positive. That way there's no renewed recession but no need to increase interest rates.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/26/economy-on-right-track-george-osborne-gdp

Osborne has said the GDP figures put the UK economy

"“roughly in the right place" and is "on the right track"

He gets them 24 hours in advance. I am quite surprised he has commented publicly like this.

I am not going bother with a number prediction. As mentioned elsewhere the figures seem to be a created from a random number generator at times.

Whatever the figure is I think the best part of Growth will be from net trade and services. Construction will subtract 0.5% ish, Industrial production / Manufacturing should have bounced back from the Oil platform maintenance that led to a 1.2% drop in March. We have all the retail numbers from Q1 (+1.5%, -0.9% and +0.2%).

I would be surprised if the figure is negative only because Osborne would look rather silly if "on the right track" was mired in recession.

Seriously though, if Osborne believes this drivel then god help us all - "“roughly in the right place" and is "on the right track". :blink:

In the light of Gideons comments, I reckon they will be positive, the magnitude something similar to the drop last time, but not enough to make up all 0.5%.

So, +0.4% for me!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

but not enough to make up all 0.5%.

So, +0.4% for me!

Weird innit, you can have -0.1% and -0.1% consecutively and we're in recession, but if we have -1.0% and +0.1% we're not in recession.