House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Cv Advice

When explaining gaps in employment on a CV is it wise to put because of an illness or will a company assume you'll be a potential liability? Is it best to lie such as putting travel or something?

When explaining gaps in employment on a CV is it wise to put because of an illness or will a company assume you'll be a potential liability? Is it best to lie such as putting travel or something?

Depends how long. I've had the odd month or two back in the UK to resettle from life overseas. Although not technically working, my next position was confirmed, so on my CV I stretch the start date of that back to when I was accepted.

I also took a teaching post that started in a January. It could have started in December, but that of course was the holiday period. I put December down on my CV to cover a gap.

If it's more than ten years ago, you could just always put periods of employment down as seasons - Spring 97 to Winter 99. That can cover up a lot of gaps and if anybody asks, say you cant remember the exact date.

Is the illness likely to have an impact on time off going forward?

i have interviewed loads of people over the years & I rarely believe anyone who uses travelling to explain gaps in employment. In fact, when I do come across this, i tend to focus on this aspect of their CV to try and trip them up. Plus if you put lots of travelling on a CV, I'm likely to question how long you'll be there before you bugger off again..

Personally, I'd be honest - if there's the faintest whiff of BS in an interview, I won't employ someone.

Depends how long. I've had the odd month or two back in the UK to resettle from life overseas. Although not technically working, my next position was confirmed, so on my CV I stretch the start date of that back to when I was accepted.

I also took a teaching post that started in a January. It could have started in December, but that of course was the holiday period. I put December down on my CV to cover a gap.

If it's more than ten years ago, you could just always put periods of employment down as seasons - Spring 97 to Winter 99. That can cover up a lot of gaps and if anybody asks, say you cant remember the exact date.

Mine would be about a year probably so I couldn't stretch other employment to cover the loss. With demand for jobs being so high I just worry if I put an illness down they will toss my CV straight away.

Is the illness likely to have an impact on time off going forward?

i have interviewed loads of people over the years & I rarely believe anyone who uses travelling to explain gaps in employment. In fact, when I do come across this, i tend to focus on this aspect of their CV to try and trip them up. Plus if you put lots of travelling on a CV, I'm likely to question how long you'll be there before you bugger off again..

Personally, I'd be honest - if there's the faintest whiff of BS in an interview, I won't employ someone.

It isn't in my nature but I hear everyone BS on CVs so feel I would be at a disadvantage! The illness could have an impact going forward although hopefully only trivial days off to cover the odd hospital appointment.

It isn't in my nature but I hear everyone BS on CVs so feel I would be at a disadvantage! The illness could have an impact going forward although hopefully only trivial days off to cover the odd hospital appointment.

I always ask during the interview if the candidate has holidays booked or hospital appointments in the next 6 months - I've employed someone who had an operation on their foot within 2 months of starting and would be off for 8 weeks because they were right for the job. I've also rejected someone who was having treatment, but they were rubbish anyway.

Up to you, but I'd be honest from the off, do the greatest interview you can and it won't matter!

I always ask during the interview if the candidate has holidays booked or hospital appointments in the next 6 months - I've employed someone who had an operation on their foot within 2 months of starting and would be off for 8 weeks because they were right for the job. I've also rejected someone who was having treatment, but they were rubbish anyway.

Up to you, but I'd be honest from the off, do the greatest interview you can and it won't matter!

Yep - people like and respect honesty. Especially when applying for jobs.

Pezerinno - you may be interviewed/CV filtered by someone who has had a similar experience to yourself. In this case it would be advantageous to explain honestly what the gap was for.

I rarely lie. Far too difficult to remember what I lied about. Just be honest and don't worry about it. Good luck anyway.

It cuts both ways tbh...

In that I say travelling re my little bike trip and it makes me look like an unreliable thrill seeker.

I don't put my travelling in and it looks suspect because of the big gap in my CV, at which they ask me what I was doing and I tell them which makes me look like an unreliable thrill seeker.

The trip these days on CV is shortened significantly and restaurant working time in the gaps is used to fill it.... even though it is unrelated.

I read somewhere that 70% of people lie on their CVs to make themselves younger, better experienced, more qualified etc.

Can't remember where I saw it though. Probably the same article that says 70% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I'd be trying to get to what the illness was and whether there was a likelihood of it reoccurring, although certain to be indirect. It's a bit harsh but if it was in my thoughts that a candidate was not up to a position, either physically or mentally, I would not offer but that's the environment I work in.

You have to be kind to your company, present staff and the applicant. It is in no one’s best interest to put the wrong person in the wrong position.

If you illness was something that is fixed and it is not likely to reoccur then be absolutely honest about it.

If it is then use the interview as an opportunity to see whether the working environment is likely to exacerbate the condition or cause a full blown remission.

If it was for stress or depression then you should be looking at positions that you can cope with in the long term, assuming that it was work related in the first place, in which case as long as you are going for a less stressful position it probably wouldn't worry me overly.

I'd be trying to get to what the illness was and whether there was a likelihood of it reoccurring, although certain to be indirect. It's a bit harsh but if it was in my thoughts that a candidate was not up to a position, either physically or mentally, I would not offer but that's the environment I work in.

You have to be kind to your company, present staff and the applicant. It is in no one’s best interest to put the wrong person in the wrong position.

If you illness was something that is fixed and it is not likely to reoccur then be absolutely honest about it.

If it is then use the interview as an opportunity to see whether the working environment is likely to exacerbate the condition or cause a full blown remission.

If it was for stress or depression then you should be looking at positions that you can cope with in the long term, assuming that it was work related in the first place, in which case as long as you are going for a less stressful position it probably wouldn't worry me overly.

I have cancer (this post was thinking towards the future). Not to sound harsh but if I was a business owner (particularly a small one) I would prefer not to hire someone who has recently recovered from cancer hence this thread. It seems unlikely I would be better suited in other aspects than other job seekers considering the demand for jobs at the moment so why hire the one who might be off ill again in the near future?

I have cancer (this post was thinking towards the future). Not to sound harsh but if I was a business owner (particularly a small one) I would prefer not to hire someone who has recently recovered from cancer hence this thread. It seems unlikely I would be better suited in other aspects than other job seekers considering the demand for jobs at the moment so why hire the one who might be off ill again in the near future?

A mate of mine was pretty much first to be made redundant even though the company was doing OK, he suspects it is because he was diagnosed as having heart cancer.

A mate of mine was pretty much first to be made redundant even though the company was doing OK, he suspects it is because he was diagnosed as having heart cancer.

Makes sense if all other parameters were the same. Some businesses have such small margins any future employment problem could seriously cost them.

Makes sense if all other parameters were the same. Some businesses have such small margins any future employment problem could seriously cost them.

Harsh though in that it wasn't exactly his own fault!

Harsh though in that it wasn't exactly his own fault!

Cancer often isn't. Pretty sure mine wasn't caused by my lifestyle or external factors.

So in light of this close hand experience Ken would you recommend lying on your CV?

Cancer often isn't. Pretty sure mine wasn't caused by my lifestyle or external factors.

So in light of this close hand experience Ken would you recommend lying on your CV?

I think it is a very grey area tbh.... in that I've had employers renege on promises and outright lie to me....

Though right now I'm wondering what photo I should attach to an application form I just printed out.... should it be passport photo that makes me look like Jack Nicholson in the Shining.. Or the half my face incredibly badly sunburnt (recent) because I forgot to pack a Burka. Or the smily happy Tyler Durden look alike photo I have.

I think it is a very grey area tbh.... in that I've had employers renege on promises and outright lie to me....

Though right now I'm wondering what photo I should attach to an application form I just printed out.... should it be passport photo that makes me look like Jack Nicholson in the Shining.. Or the half my face incredibly badly sunburnt (recent) because I forgot to pack a Burka. Or the smily happy Tyler Durden look alike photo I have.

If I went looking for employment at a large organisation I wonder if it could actually get this to work in my favour with them being so worried about being discriminatory and me suing them because I didn't get offered a job DUE to having had cancer hmm...

Jack Nicholson in the shining or Brad Pitt in Fight Club - neither would rate high on employability factor there Ken.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your cancer. Have you considered alternative therapies at all?

In particular I can't recommend enough you look up Burzynski Movie.

Another very good video is "science and politics of cancer". You can find both on youtube.

Hope all goes well with the job interview as well.