House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lepista

Bbc Pushing Child Intelligence..?

So... maybe it's just e being cynical, but how come the BBC are ramoping child intelligence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13156817

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13140772

All I see is a campaign to be coming out in the near future that the only way to stop the children growing up with sub-IQ is to keep the teachers (and budget for them)...

All I see is a campaign to be coming out in the near future that the only way to stop the children growing up with sub-IQ is to keep the teachers (and budget for them)...

Are you suggesting we should get rid of the teachers? :)

If it stops coverage of the bloomin Royal Wedding the BBC can publish whatever it likes!

So... maybe it's just e being cynical, but how come the BBC are ramoping child intelligence:

and

How sad that the only way these idiots can think of providing motivation to children is by forcing them.

I thought IQ tests were largely discredited for a while as they could, to some extent be "learned" also they couldn't/didn't take into account cultural distinctions, so to some extent discriminated against certain groups (I think).

One of the commenters makes the point that they can be "trained" for. Many years ago I bought a book off IQ tests and "trained" (for job applications and so on - this was back in the 70's) .

I was well above "average intelligence" however that is not saying much, and I was able to increase my score.

I thought IQ tests were largely discredited for a while as they could, to some extent be "learned" also they couldn't/didn't take into account cultural distinctions, so to some extent discriminated against certain groups (I think).

One of the commenters makes the point that they can be "trained" for. Many years ago I bought a book off IQ tests and "trained" (for job applications and so on - this was back in the 70's) .

I was well above "average intelligence" however that is not saying much, and I was able to increase my score.

Could they? Right, yeah. If they can be trained for then one might infer that they test something other than intelligence.

So I guess the purest form of test must be what i did (also back in the 70s): take the 11+ the week after arriving in England from an education with no 11+ culture? Not a coincidence my arriving at that time of year: I stayed in Sweden until after the Swedish school year had ended, which was (is?) just a few weeks earlier then the English one did (does?).

The most ironic thing: a year later my family moved house, to a comprehensivised area. So from age twelve I was inna bog-standard comprehensive anyway.

How sad that the only way these idiots can think of providing motivation to children is by forcing them.

I've always said motivation is key to learning.

Tolkien was right on the subject: don't talk down to children, you'll only put them off. His wonderful stories motivated me to learn to read.

To learn maths, point any intelligent youngster at Greek mathematics: Euclid and Archimedes (Pythagoras is rather boring by comparison: his famous theorem is just a special case). Possibly as told in parables like the hare and the tortoise. If the child takes an interest, add some more modern stuff like Einstein's special relativity (which is easy - unlike general relativity which is hard). And add an insight into the mathematician's mind: G H Hardy's "Mathematicians Apology".

Hmmm, what else? How about introducing something a bit more challenging to school curricula, so as not to insult the intelligence of anyone who has it?

Intelligence is very important but what use you make of it is much more. That is determined far more by the beliefs and limitations put onto you by often well meaning but damaging people. Very often those are parents, and teachers almost all do that. If you believe the World is framed by what you can't do then no amount of intelligence will help you fly, but if you believe you can set about anything then there's every chance you will.

When did a careers advisor last tell anyone to do anything other than the same boring, limited garbage? I wonder how they ever explan how they can give advice when all they managed was to become a careers advisor?

Intelligence is very important but what use you make of it is much more. That is determined far more by the beliefs and limitations put onto you by often well meaning but damaging people. Very often those are parents, and teachers almost all do that. If you believe the World is framed by what you can't do then no amount of intelligence will help you fly, but if you believe you can set about anything then there's every chance you will.

When did a careers advisor last tell anyone to do anything other than the same boring, limited garbage? I wonder how they ever explan how they can give advice when all they managed was to become a careers advisor?

Good point.

Now if only all kiddies could have exposure to real achievers. A week at an Oxbridge college. Time with an entrepreneur who's built a successful business. An internship with ... oh, let's not go there.

....some teachers lack motivation imo.......wouldn't it be good if all teachers were good. ;)

It would probably help if they sacked a few of the shit ones first...

That's dangerous if it's not combined with the other side of the coin. It'll help give you all the great thinkers and innovaters, but also all the banksters and crooks who have no limits in screwing everyone and everything over for their own gain, and they seem more common.

and

But IQ is said to be innate, and nothing to do with teachers or the teaching budget.

They also say that yes scores are increased by training, and that IQ tests in the West are usually biased towards western culture. This is all totally accepted by the pro-IQ testing fraternity.

If everyone is trained in IQ tests, that actually increases the reliability of the tests. The differences between people remain and are even increased by training.

If the people being tested are restricted to those from the culture for which the test was validated for, again it serves its purpose.

All these arguements were dealt with decades ago by the pro-IQ testers.

All these arguements were dealt with decades ago by the pro-IQ testers.

So the intelligent thing to do, would be to train for IQ tests. wink.gif

That's exactly what they said. Hence when the 11+ test was widespread in the UK, all pupils were trained and coached in similar tests. This was fully accepted and it was not seen as cheating. It was encouraged.

It was last year that I saw something that made me think of IQ tests in an entirely new light. I was walking through North London, and - by chance - walked past the "Church of Scientology" - with Ron-Hubbard books laid out on a table outside the door as if they are bibles. There was also a sign... "Free IQ test" "Enquire within".

I have to admit, I stood there for a moment marvelling at its elegant Machiavellian simplicity. It is a perfect IQ test - it has a pass and a fail grade. To pass, you make a wry smile and walk on... to fail, you walk inside and ask for a free test. The genius is that this self-selects people who believe that someone inside knows better than they do how smart they are - and if that's not a definition of dumb, I don't know what is.

The people who pass an IQ test are those who refuse to allow self-appointed IQ testers to pass judgement on their abilities - irrespective of the scores that are (or could be) attained.

It was last year that I saw something that made me think of IQ tests in an entirely new light. I was walking through North London, and - by chance - walked past the "Church of Scientology" - with Ron-Hubbard books laid out on a table outside the door as if they are bibles. There was also a sign... "Free IQ test" "Enquire within".

I have to admit, I stood there for a moment marvelling at its elegant Machiavellian simplicity. It is a perfect IQ test - it has a pass and a fail grade. To pass, you make a wry smile and walk on... to fail, you walk inside and ask for a free test. The genius is that this self-selects people who believe that someone inside knows better than they do how smart they are - and if that's not a definition of dumb, I don't know what is.

The people who pass an IQ test are those who refuse to allow self-appointed IQ testers to pass judgement on their abilities - irrespective of the scores that are (or could be) attained.

I read somewhere that Ron-Hubbard said that the greatest joke one could play on mankind would be to found a religion.

"Free IQ test" "Enquire within".

Are you sure? Last time I recollect walking down Tottenham Court Road it was a "free personality test". Altogether different beastie.