House Price Crash Forum

The 1,000 Head Teachers On Over £100,000 A Year

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380421/1-000-head-teachers-salaries-100k-year-named-shamed.html

'More than 1,000 head teachers are believed to be on £100,000-plus salaries despite massive pressure on school budgets.

No wonder we're skint.The pension liabilites for these people will be eye watering.can't imagine the teachers were on anything like this when I was a kid.It's all part of the great zanu progression to have society slaving for the banks and the public sector unions.

Let's see if this turns into a teacher-bashing thread... Haven't seen one in quite a while.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest eight

Another head, Jacqui Valin, from Southfields Community College in South-West London, received a total package of £226,381.'

Yes it's outrageous, but just from the name and location of the place I think you'd probably have to pay me that much just to walk through the gates. I think there's an element of actual danger money in some of these amounts.

eight

HOLA445

Let's see if this turns into a teacher-bashing thread... Haven't seen one in quite a while.

hmm, £100K

so much money that maybe a 50% cut above 25K would be a mere trice.

they would then gross £62.5K

still a very good salary.

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380421/1-000-head-teachers-salaries-100k-year-named-shamed.html

'More than 1,000 head teachers are believed to be on £100,000-plus salaries despite massive pressure on school budgets.

The figures mean the number of heads and deputies topping the £100,000 mark has doubled in the past year.

Some are receiving more than the Prime Minister, who is paid £142,500.

Professor John Howson, of the research company Education Data Surveys, said: ‘Successive governments have ducked the issue. It has never been reined it. The Government must police it and regulate it.

‘This increase in salaries and pensions will put a massive burden on the public purse as their pension scheme is taxpayer funded.’

Official figures put the number being paid more than £100,000 at 700 – but Professor Howson says the true figure is around 1,000 and could be as high as 1,600.

This is because the Department for Education figures failed to take in all 21,000 primary and secondary schools in England.

Last year, it emerged that Mark Elms, head of Tidemill Primary School in Deptford, South-East London, was given a remuneration package of £276,523 for 2009/10, including employers’ pension, back-dated pay and fees for helping other schools.

Another head, Jacqui Valin, from Southfields Community College in South-West London, received a total package of £226,381.'

No wonder we're skint.The pension liabilites for these people will be eye watering.can't imagine the teachers were on anything like this when I was a kid.It's all part of the great zanu progression to have society slaving for the banks and the public sector unions.

If you really are planning on spamming the main board with endless shyster stories from the Mail, at least make an effort to push a few more buttons.

For example, if you'd linked to this article, you could have enraged those who hate homosexuals as well as those who view education as purely a cost centre.

HOLA448

In my experience (my wife works as a TE) there's definitely too much money at the top. I don't want to risk giving identifiable details, but I'm aware of one head-teacher on over 80k, and her primary task is running a perfectly innocuous primary school.

Excessive pay at the top end of the scale in the public sector needs to be addressed. The current system (thanks, Labour) seems to favour box-ticking ability over actual innovation and leadership, so it's not like we even end up paying for excellence.

I'd hate to have this seen as a bash at teachers - my only gripe is high-end pay scales and how they're evaluated. Most are getting by on fairly low pay and struggling to keep up with constantly shifting demands.

HOLA449

In my experience (my wife works as a TE) there's definitely too much money at the top. I don't want to risk giving identifiable details, but I'm aware of one head-teacher on over 80k, and her primary task is running a perfectly innocuous primary school.

Excessive pay at the top end of the scale in the public sector needs to be addressed. The current system (thanks, Labour) seems to favour box-ticking ability over actual innovation and leadership, so it's not like we even end up paying for excellence.

I'd hate to have this seen as a bash at teachers - my only gripe is high-end pay scales and how they're evaluated. Most are getting by on fairly low pay and struggling to keep up with constantly shifting demands.

here here.

We need teachers.

We dont need £100K teachers..or lecturers, or ANY public servants.

HOLA4410

The figures mean the number of heads and deputies topping the £100,000 mark has doubled in the past year.

Professor John Howson, of the research company Education Data Surveys, said: ‘Successive governments have ducked the issue. It has never been reined it. The Government must police it and regulate it.

‘This increase in salaries and pensions will put a massive burden on the public purse as their pension scheme is taxpayer funded.’

Official figures put the number being paid more than £100,000 at 700 – but Professor Howson says the true figure is around 1,000 and could be as high as 1,600.

This is because the Department for Education figures failed to take in all 21,000 primary and secondary schools in England.

Last year, it emerged that Mark Elms, head of Tidemill Primary School in Deptford, South-East London, was given a remuneration package of £276,523 for 2009/10, including employers’ pension, back-dated pay and fees for helping other schools.

In the case of heads who turn around dire and failing schools, as far as I'm concerned they're worth hefty salaries.

Given the national disgrace and scandal of 40% of 16 year olds failing to get a C in GCSE maths and English (is it any wonder nobody wants to employ so many of them?) I just wish there were more heads worth hefty salaries.

HOLA4411

In the case of heads who turn around dire and failing schools, as far as I'm concerned they're worth hefty salaries.

Given the national disgrace and scandal of 40% of 16 year olds failing to get a C in GCSE maths and English (is it any wonder nobody wants to employ so many of them?) I just wish there were more heads worth hefty salaries.

A salary does NOT a good teacher make.

HOLA4412

Simply another example of how the last Government grossly mis managed the Country....

Check out the NHS spending chart in the other thread and how it has doubled in the last 10 years or so, correlate that with the increase in taxation we have seen to pay for all this......

It has simply got to stop and stop now..............we cannot afford these sorts of salaries any more in the public sector....

It is true to say such sums are being awarded in the private sector but there is also accountability. Persons have to prove they are 'adding value' to a board and shareholders who have the power to fire them if they are not...

HOLA4413

A salary does NOT a good teacher make.

+1

95% of my school teachers fell into this category:

head_up_arse.jpg

Edited by Dan1

HOLA4414

But the implication of your post is that, despite there being record numbers of head teachers getting high-end salaries, there are still some pretty dire statistics coming out. I'd agree if I thought that a system was in place that genuinely promoted the very best staff - and the system may well do that - but it's artificially boosting the salaries of some pretty mediocre heads as well.

HOLA4415

I'd prefer if it if they were rewarded more in one-off bonuses - less pension liability that way.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Don't you need only 60% exam score to get a GCSE A grade these days?!

Got to love NuLabour, and those performance league tables. Got to love the coalition for refusing to get rid of them (and SATS).

HOLA4418

Grade inflation is not a solution

Half of all kids are going to be stupider than the median by definition. There's no way you'll get everyone to the same level unless you deliberately hold back the over-achievers as well.

Next: 40% of all sick days taken by public sector workers are on mondays or fridays. Long weekend-tastic!

HOLA4419

somehow it makes you a teacher 'basher' for pointing out that govt spending should be sustainable.A good number of these are earning more than the PM>

entitlement bashing is great...teachers seem to have a lot of that resource. they have their degree, and somehow can rely on everyone elses ignorance to PROVE they are deserving of the best pay, the best perks, unlimited upward mobility, unlimited pensions, and protection from suit by parents by cancelling things that cant be insured....

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

40% of weekdays fall on a Monday or a Friday.

:lol: nicely fielded - the gardener wins the internets (but you'll never get a job at the DM* with that sort of attitude and high-falutin' maths, young man...)

* a paper that relies on the lazy ignorance of its readership in order to sell stories about how lazy and ignorant everyone else is...

HOLA4422

We need teachers.

We dont need £100K teachers..or lecturers, or ANY public servants.

I disagree. A head teacher is not a teacher at all, but the general manager of a potentially large and complex organisation. £100k for head of a big secondary school doesn't sound wrong.

Ditto £142k for being PM.

HOLA4423

I disagree. A head teacher is not a teacher at all, but the general manager of a potentially large and complex organisation. £100k for head of a big secondary school doesn't sound wrong.

Hmm, guaranteed annual school income from government. Salaries set via a national pay scheme, including annual increments etc., pensions and bonuses already set via national negotiations. Curriculum set by central government, sample lesson plans provided from government. Board of governors to oversee activity.

Doesn't sound like the complexity is too high to me.

The real downsides must be the fact that you can't kick out bolshie kids and also you have to send in reams of meaningless statistics to the government all the time.

HOLA4424

wow, better bonuserize them in that case.

HOLA4425

These would be "friends" of the local councillors on similar trough feeding fodder. There is a growing class of over-paid people and I suspect they are all connected in some way. The divide between rich and poor continues to grow.