House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

endgame

'human Cannonball' Killed In Kent Stunt

Reminds me of a journo friend on an ethics training course, who was shown some video footage of a parachutist jumping out of a plane, with the cameraman jumping out after him. After a couple of minutes the jumper in the frame opened his parachute, and then the cameraman fell past him. The tape was stopped, and the person running the class explained that in the preparations for the jump, the photographer had been so engrossed in getting his camera ready that he'd forgotten to put his own parachute on before jumping out. About a minute after the footage finished, bits of him were splattered over a ten-mile radius of the Cotswolds. Ethics question - would you use that footage in a news story?

Quite impressive that the tape survived the impact, though.

How did that happen if he just fell from the sky? Did he swallow a bomb?

Rhetorical flourishes can distribute human entrails over a very large area. At the opposite extreme, my eight year-old nephew recently saw King Kong, and, totally unmoved, described the final scene as 'rubbish'. When I asked why, he said 'He's all in one piece! If he'd hit the ground that hard, there'd be gorilla guts all over the place.' I guess the filmmakers of the 1930s couldn't anticipate the Playstation generation...

kent stunt kent stunt kent stunt kent stunt

With a 120mph terminal velocity impact my guess is that most bones would be broken but that the overall package might stay pretty much together.Splatter is the stuff of cartoons.

With a 120mph terminal velocity impact my guess is that most bones would be broken but that the overall package might stay pretty much together.Splatter is the stuff of cartoons.

You'd be surprised - i watched a snuff video and amongst other horrific accidents and murders there was a clip of a parachuter hitting the ground (shute failed to open at all) and the limbs parted from the torso on impact and bounced at least 5 metres upwards with a huge spray of blood

(I wish i hadn't watched the video tbh, just one of those curiosity things you do when young. affected me for months afterwards)

No it isn't, my dad has seen suicides from high buildings in HK. People really do splat and their bodies shatter and limbs come off on impact.... it takes 400-600ft in a tumbling position to go to terminal velocity.

At 120mph at 12 stones you have over 87000joules of potential energy about 20 grams of tnt or being shot 30 times by an AK47.

No it isn't, my dad has seen suicides from high buildings in HK. People really do splat and their bodies shatter and limbs come off on impact.... it takes 400-600ft in a tumbling position to go to terminal velocity.

At 120mph at 12 stones you have over 87000joules of potential energy about 20 grams of tnt or being shot 30 times by an AK47.

Even from not so high they make a mess.

Fire brigade end up swilling the pavement normally.

One time they were trying to avoid doing it the caretaker told them if they didn't he'd have to get his dog out to clear it up.

Natural selection is a popular term on these forums.

I'm surprised no one has used it yet.

Not really appropriate here. Chap was a barman for few years but had always wanted to be a stuntman so signed up to something where there are no tricks, you really are blasted out of a cannon. It must be one hell of a rush. And sadly the safety equipment failed so he died.

It's a world away from forgetting to put on your parachute.