House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

First Picture Of Teenager Set On Fire By Boyfriend, 19, While Trying To Light Barbecue With A Bowl Of Petrol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380431/Man-sets-girlfriend-trying-light-barbecue-PETROL.html

A teenager accidentally set his girlfriend on fire while trying to light a disposable barbecue with a bowl of petrol.

Chris Flintoff, 19, had become frustrated that the barbecue wouldn't light so got a dish of petrol and poured it on the fire. But the flames shot back up and set to his hands on fire.

Desperate to put out the flames, he threw the bowl behind him not realising his 19-year-old girlfriend, Lindsey Plant, was walking there to fetch her mobile phone.

The burning petrol hit the law student's legs causing 36 per cent burns.

I mean how dim can you be attempting to get a BBQ going with petrol?

The girl is lucky in a sense it's just her legs, it could easily have been her whole body and face on fire.

Its quite reasonable actually, the technique used here is at fault.... i.e. if you want to use petrol to set something alight you soak it into something like cotton wool or an old cloth.... you can even disolve polystyrene cups into it to make napalm which is even better as it burns hot but slowly and it sticks.

If you don't soak it into something (even flat concrete slabs are ok) then it burns very quickly and it is wasted.

you can even disolve polystyrene cups into it to make napalm which is even better as it burns hot but slowly and it sticks.

Thanks for the tip Ken :ph34r:

Its quite reasonable actually, the technique used here is at fault.... i.e. if you want to use petrol to set something alight you soak it into something like cotton wool or an old cloth.... you can even disolve polystyrene cups into it to make napalm which is even better as it burns hot but slowly and it sticks.

If you don't soak it into something (even flat concrete slabs are ok) then it burns very quickly and it is wasted.

will the polystyrene affect the normal charred taste of my burgers ken ? :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380431/Man-sets-girlfriend-trying-light-barbecue-PETROL.html

The girl is lucky in a sense it's just her legs, it could easily have been her whole body and face on fire.

We had a top notch pub manager who did this. Managed to pour petrol over his chef whilst desparately trying to light BBQ's for a large function. The guy had even written the risk assessment specifically prohibiting the use of flammable liquids for lighting the BBQ.

The chef almost lost his arm. We had to redeploy him to avoid a DDA claim as well in the tribunal. Biggest ever liability claim I investigated and handled. Started off at over £1 Million. Down to about £450,000 when I left.

Amazingly they didnt sack him. He took full responsibility tbf and will probably be the most safety conscious pub manager in the UK.

How about a gallon of waste engine oil and an old tyre? :lol:

Using petrol is unnecessary as well as dangerous. Best way to get a barbecue going:

Procure pesticide spraying equipment : rinse out any nasties, empty of moisture (blow through) , pump up to full pressure and jet the compressed air at the smoldering charcoal. As long as you don't have your food on the rungs at this point, you need not worry about any pesticide residues. Avoid holding too close if spray has a cheap platic nozzle, as radiant heat will mellt it. Will take no more than 2 or 3 mins to achieve a reasonable heat.

You can use vacuum cleaners that have a blow function, air pumps for inflatables, or failing that, a hair dryer (tho you'd need a real blower to make much difference). All will of course require power, so not so good for bbqs away from the home.

In all cases watch the radiant heat doesn't melt your equipment.

What ever happened to tightly rolled newspaper? Works every time!

as long as you want the thing in 60 mins time. People seem to want to bbq during the week, hence the rush

Used tissues soaked with few spoonfuls of heating oil, or diesel if you can afford it. :huh:

oxy acetylene cutting torch really gets the lumpwood glowing ! now thats what i call a barbi :lol:

That's just nuts, using highly flammable liquids, you end up having to top it up all the time as the charcoal takes time to heat up. Cheapest way I've found was to soak just 1 newspaper page in a ball using less nutty flammable liquid (lamp oil is great), build the fire and just light. It takes about 45 minutes for the coal to get ready, but I just don't see how pouring stupid amounts of petrol over it would ever help.

If people are in a rush they should start earlier, prepare the day before, or just head down to the chippy.

But how much was the Walsall property worth?

Seriously I can't believe they left this out? I assume they rented which makes the value irrelevant because they are just untermenschen anyway.

What ever happened to tightly rolled newspaper? Works every time!

Considering the last time I bought a news paper was sometime in the 1990s this isn't really feasible!

Using petrol is unnecessary as well as dangerous. Best way to get a barbecue going:

Procure pesticide spraying equipment : rinse out any nasties, empty of moisture (blow through) , pump up to full pressure and jet the compressed air at the smoldering charcoal. As long as you don't have your food on the rungs at this point, you need not worry about any pesticide residues. Avoid holding too close if spray has a cheap platic nozzle, as radiant heat will mellt it. Will take no more than 2 or 3 mins to achieve a reasonable heat.

You can use vacuum cleaners that have a blow function, air pumps for inflatables, or failing that, a hair dryer (tho you'd need a real blower to make much difference). All will of course require power, so not so good for bbqs away from the home.

In all cases watch the radiant heat doesn't melt your equipment.

maybe a match would help?

Was anyone else hoping to see a picture of her after the accident?

morbid *******.

oh, and yes :lol: