House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Not Buying Gifts For People

Has anyone gone cold turkey on gift buying and what was the reaction from others? I don't really want any gifts myself and am not happy with how much gifts over the year mounts up. I'm thinking about stopping all gift buying (possibly card buying too) but admit I'm slightly worried about what others will think (especially if they still insist on giving me a gift).

I wouldn't want to lie but its just a shame some people seem to take it so personally if they don't receive a gift. I would rather buy the occasional gift for someone for no particular occasion rather than this forced gift buying malarky.

Guest eight

Has anyone gone cold turkey on gift buying and what was the reaction from others? I don't really want any gifts myself and am not happy with how much gifts over the year mounts up. I'm thinking about stopping all gift buying (possibly card buying too) but admit I'm slightly worried about what others will think (especially if they still insist on giving me a gift).

I've got the opposite problem - I don't want to receive gifts from others. There is nothing that I want or need.

eight

Sound out some of the people involved: They're probably just as fed up with the whole business. It shouldnt be so hard to reach an adult solution in which both sides save time money and a house filled with tat they didnt want. Dont get discouraged by failures, get encouraged by the successes. Every agreement not to gift is a victory.

Gifts make sense for kiddies and as part of mating rituals, but all the rest - bah!

I've got the opposite problem - I don't want to receive gifts from others. There is nothing that I want or need.

Same here, but I've been saying this long enough that I also get away with not getting gifts for other people.

The exchanging of business gifts and cards seemed to die a death ten or fifteen years ago.

Time was when everyone in business sent cards to customers and valued suppliers. I used to receive, and send, hundreds of cards and dozens of bottles of wine each Christmas. By the time I retired, three years ago, the practice had virtually died out.

What is it with easter eggs?

As a kid I used to get one (and steal great chunks of others left lying around the house - even the dark chocolate).

This easter my three nieces have received 33 eggs between them.

The exchanging of business gifts and cards seemed to die a death ten or fifteen years ago.

Time was when everyone in business sent cards to customers and valued suppliers. I used to receive, and send, hundreds of cards and dozens of bottles of wine each Christmas. By the time I retired, three years ago, the practice had virtually died out.

I agree, not sure why. I don't even bother opening e-cards from other businesses.

What is it with easter eggs?

As a kid I used to get one (and steal great chunks of others left lying around the house - even the dark chocolate).

This easter my three nieces have received 33 eggs between them.

I think that's just your nieces!

I am specifically forbidden to do this! It could be interpreted a bribery! :huh:

I am specifically forbidden to do this! It could be interpreted a bribery! :huh:

Likewise and essentially for the same reason. Any behaviour like this is more than frowned upon in some quarters and those quarters are probably getting larger by the year. I expect politicians, bankers and the like still do this sort of thing, though, and dont see anything wrong with it.

Likewise and essentially for the same reason. Any behaviour like this is more than frowned upon in some quarters and those quarters are probably getting larger by the year. I expect politicians, bankers and the like still do this sort of thing, though, and dont see anything wrong with it.

Funny isn't it! I can't give out a mug with the company name on it without permission!

All because some of the senior bods got involved in some real big-money back-handers some years ago! :ph34r:

OH is allowed to accept them so long as he lets his employer know about anything over a certain value.

He gets nothing from the UK, token gestures from the Japanese, the Chinese and Malaysians spend a little more, the Indians occasionally cause a declaration, and the South Koreans always do.