House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
firebug

Gold

I'm thinking about buying some gold, but am worried about buying it "virtually", so would prefer to buy coins. Short of putting them under the bed, can you all advise on the safest places to store them? I was thinking of a bank safety deposit box, but again am worried that in the event that aforesaid bank goes belly up they take my gold with em....Can anyone advise me on the legal position with safety deposit boxes? Are they as safe as houses? LOL

I'm thinking about buying some gold, but am worried about buying it "virtually", so would prefer to buy coins. Short of putting them under the bed, can you all advise on the safest places to store them? I was thinking of a bank safety deposit box, but again am worried that in the event that aforesaid bank goes belly up they take my gold with em....Can anyone advise me on the legal position with safety deposit boxes? Are they as safe as houses? LOL

Why not get yourself a safe for the home. Mine's bolted to the wall, which makes it as safe as anything IMO.

my question is where would I buy such coins at a fair price?? And where would I sell them.

Edited by Casual Observer

Why not get yourself a safe for the home. Mine's bolted to the wall, which makes it as safe as anything IMO.

my question is where would I buy such coins at a fair price?? And where would I sell them.

You can buy them over the counter at several gold brokers in London, or even order them online and have them delivered to you.

Krugers are best value for 1oz Gold coins, although some brokers do a 'best buy' scheme where they send you the selected number of coins at Kruger prices but sometimes substitute more expensive coins when they are short of Krugers (you could get lucky!, but probably won't).

I'd keep them in a safe at home. Preferably bolted down.

Many insurance policies allow for keeping several grand of gold coins at home. My insurance policy can be beefed up at a fairly minimal cost to include gold (and I don't think they even stipulate that you have to have a safe).

If you want, you can even buy gold coins on ebay.... but I'm not too sure how safe or sensible this is??

Anyone here used www.goldmoney.com? Are they reliable?

I dont know about reliable but ive had a goldmoney account for a few months now, there is actually a thread on goldmoney V GBS in the investment area. what i do know is though is that i've set out to buy an ounze a month with goldmoney (big spender), on the 18 August i bought an OZ for £250 and now to buy an OZ its £270.9.

I'm thinking about buying some gold, but am worried about buying it "virtually", so would prefer to buy coins. LOL

I would suggest that you buy Britannias and sovereigns rather than foreign coins. Brits and Sovs are legal tender in the UK and thus are exempt from Capital Gains Tax. Because of this I will be recirculating most of my holding into British coins. You just never know how high gold will go :o:D;)

Both coins are (slightly) more expensive than Krugers, but those in the know can appreciate why! Plus, they are much more beautiful than Krugers.

You might also consider some silver coins, not such a good buy due to far higher premium and VAT, but silver is very cheap and conceivably has a massive upside. ;)