House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Raceforlife?

I just saw a TV advert with Gloria Hunniford appealing for more women to enter the raceforlife this year. She said that they don't have enough women.

Now, it could well just be a charity chugging but... what if the numbers are actually down? I am pretty sure that this charity has been seeing rising numbers taking part for the past few years.

If the numbers are suddenly down, then why? Recession maybe?

It would be interesting, but sad, if this is indeed a recession indicator? But wasn't Comic Relief up a few months ago?

But then that was a few months ago.

Imagine if you organised a race for charity and banned women from taking part - there would be uproar.

Why not have somethnig inclusive that raises money to fight all cancers. I had two relatives who died of cancer - were their deaths less worthy for fund raising because they didn't die of breast cancer?

Imagine if you organised a race for charity and banned women from taking part - there would be uproar.

Why not have somethnig inclusive that raises money to fight all cancers. I had two relatives who died of cancer - were their deaths less worthy for fund raising because they didn't die of breast cancer?

Not to mention that men can and do get breast cancer too.

Working in the charity sector, we get an insight into how much disposable income people feel they have. Things have definitely turned down again recently.

We're actually taking a big hit from trust funds which rely on IRs to generate income to donate - that dried up a couple of years ago and shows little sign of coming back.

The amount of Gift Aid charities can reclaim has also just dropped (well, caught up) from 28% to 25%.

I just saw a TV advert with Gloria Hunniford appealing for more women to enter the raceforlife this year. She said that they don't have enough women.

Now, it could well just be a charity chugging but... what if the numbers are actually down? I am pretty sure that this charity has been seeing rising numbers taking part for the past few years.

If the numbers are suddenly down, then why? Recession maybe?

It would be interesting, but sad, if this is indeed a recession indicator? But wasn't Comic Relief up a few months ago?

But then that was a few months ago.

I have run the Race for Life for the last 4 years, but am not entering it this year, as yet again they have put the entry fee up. It is now £14.99 to register. This is apparently necessary to cover their "costs" - in other words, that £14.99 is not actually going to help anyone with cancer. I shall be sending a cheque for £15 instead. I know that will be less than the sponsorship I usually raise, but I am not prepared to fork out £15.00 before I start asking people to sponsor me (most of those people are already struggling financially).

I would guess there are many more like me.

I have run the Race for Life for the last 4 years, but am not entering it this year, as yet again they have put the entry fee up. It is now £14.99 to register. This is apparently necessary to cover their "costs" - in other words, that £14.99 is not actually going to help anyone with cancer. I shall be sending a cheque for £15 instead. I know that will be less than the sponsorship I usually raise, but I am not prepared to fork out £15.00 before I start asking people to sponsor me (most of those people are already struggling financially).

Ah, interesting.

how does it cost £15 to register someone?

or are councils taxing it up large with fees for "securitee", "safteee", "diversitee"???

how does it cost £15 to register someone?

or are councils taxing it up large with fees for "securitee", "safteee", "diversitee"???

would hope that councils put these events on for free, but maybe I am being naive there. Thing is, charities have become big business. Putting on events such as Race for Life does entail a huge amount of organisational costs (from public liability insurance down to portaloos etc) and there is also a HUGE amount of promotional stuff that is sent out - which IMO is wasting money which could be spent on the cause itself. So far this year I have had at least 3 mailings from RaceforLife in the post - despite the fact that they have my email address. Poor management of funds if you ask me.

I appreciate that these events raise vast amounts of money, but then they cost vast amounts too.

would hope that councils put these events on for free, but maybe I am being naive there. Thing is, charities have become big business. Putting on events such as Race for Life does entail a huge amount of organisational costs (from public liability insurance down to portaloos etc) and there is also a HUGE amount of promotional stuff that is sent out - which IMO is wasting money which could be spent on the cause itself. So far this year I have had at least 3 mailings from RaceforLife in the post - despite the fact that they have my email address. Poor management of funds if you ask me.

I appreciate that these events raise vast amounts of money, but then they cost vast amounts too.

Yea this is the rub. And I bet they employ a legion of out of work actors to "chug" on the High Street? You need to use a more intelligent way of giving, big charity sadly is becomming big business.

Last time I donated to Cancer Research, despite ticking the 'don't contact me' box, I got pestered to the point my original donation must have been eaten up. I politely asked them a couple of times to stop contacting me, and in the end I had to send them an official notification of my rights under the Data Protection Act.

As for the local council doing it for free, for our local one I disagree. The route goes right through the pedestrianised shopping area in town, involves several road closures, and clogs up the local park with the finish line. If I was a local trader I'd be very cheesed off that my rates were paying for a day of lost trade.

<br />I don't sponso anyone doing a 'Race for Life'<br /><br />Quite apart from the women-only thing, and the 'where does the money go?' issues, I just don't think they are challenging enough. A 5k is a <i>piece of piss</i>, even to real fatties.<br />

Yes, it's the Race bit in the title that is misleading, it's not exactly a race for most of them. Some of them struggle to walk it in an hour, scoffing energy bars on the way.

Having a background in distance running, I know that the 5K, although over fairly quickly is not a soft option and you will feel pretty uncomfortable as you are running on your threshold most of the way.

If someone asks me for sponsorship for a 5K race I say OK, I will double it if you get under 20 minutes.

Most of them don't believe they could easily do this with regular training. Or don't want to do any hard training.

Yes, it's the Race bit in the title that is misleading, it's not exactly a race for most of them. Some of them struggle to walk it in an hour, scoffing energy bars on the way.

Having a background in distance running, I know that the 5K, although over fairly quickly is not a soft option and you will feel pretty uncomfortable as you are running on your threshold most of the way.

If someone asks me for sponsorship for a 5K race I say OK, I will double it if you get under 20 minutes.

Most of them don't believe they could easily do this with regular training. Or don't want to do any hard training.

Yep. It all depends on how it is run. And your idea of doubling up dependent on time sounds a good one.