House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Digi Camera Recommdations

Need a small camera that's quick to get ready to take photos.

Any suggestions?

Well you've highlighted the achilles heel of digital cameras haven't you i.e. their speed in getting ready to shoot. I don't think they'll beat the old style cameras in this area, not for along while anyway. The best digital cameras are awesome, but be patient waiting for them to switch on ;)

Whatever your choice, do not get dazzled by megapixels... the more that they cram on a similarly sized sensor head the smaller the wells for light to fall on them.

Had a 15million meg pixel samsung compact and the shots were really grainy in the higher ISO settings or lower light.

Now for my iPhone 4 plug re. quick and easy photos....

fantastic, obviously not a match to my DSLR (canon 40d) but fine for spontaneous shooting.

Whatever your choice, do not get dazzled by megapixels... the more that they cram on a similarly sized sensor head the smaller the wells for light to fall on them.

Thankfully Canon have been bucking the trend recently. They did some 12 and 14 megapixel cameras but the S95 and G12 have been reduced down to 10.

Ta for the suggestions! I'll have a look.

I suspect what would be useful is one of those ones that focuses on faces. And to be completely idiot proof. :)

Ta for the suggestions! I'll have a look.

I suspect what would be useful is one of those ones that focuses on faces. And to be completely idiot proof. :)

I bought a Nikon s8000 from warehouse express a few weeks ago, cost about 150 quid with a leather case and memory card. Now 130 in Argos.(last years model)(never buy the latest thing!)

Seems idiot proof to me and can also be used as a video camera. It's also solid and smart looking in Brown or bronze or whatever. Money well spent IMO.

I bought a Nikon s8000 from warehouse express a few weeks ago, cost about 150 quid with a leather case and memory card. Now 130 in Argos.(last years model)(never buy the latest thing!)

Seems idiot proof to me and can also be used as a video camera. It's also solid and smart looking in Brown or bronze or whatever. Money well spent IMO.

I got my Canon 40D through warehouse express, very good service. Came with body, 2lenses and a very nice camera case for under £1k - just as the 50D came out ;)

Had a 15million meg pixel samsung compact and the shots were really grainy in the higher ISO settings or lower light.

Now for my iPhone 4 plug re. quick and easy photos....

fantastic, obviously not a match to my DSLR (canon 40d) but fine for spontaneous shooting.

And the lenses on a compact are unlikely to be anywhere near up to making use of that resolution anyway. Rather unsurprsingly my low-end 6 mexapixel DSLR gives much better pictures than the silly-something compact I've got.

Dont buy an canon ixus 130. It looks nice, it feels nice and it apparently has 14.1mp to play with.

Just takes poor photos regardless of how you tweak the settings. I actually sent it back and got a refund.

Even though you want a compact camera, consider a DSLR as well.

Something like a used Nikon D40 with the basic 18-55mm could be had on eBay for very little money I'm sure.

You'll get to learn something about photography, and have a camera that can capture far lovelier pictures then pretty much any compact.

Despite a lowly 6MP, you can print at 18"x12" with no trouble at all.

As you learn a bit more, a 55-200mm lens for peanuts will be great for some wildlife/sports work, and you'll enjoy a lovely shallow depth of field which makes DSLRs stand out from compacts every time.

Some suggestions in order of price (lowest first):

Fujifilm FinePix Z70

The Panasonic Lumix TZ10

The Canon Sureshot S95

This "best of" list (link) might be of help, the reviews are thorough and there's lot of sample images.

I now use a fairly high end SLR (Nikon D300), but having previously has a Lumix, I'd give the TZ10 a thumbs up.

Sarah...how much were you thinking of spending?

Dunno not got that far in my thinking.. We have several digital camera already they just seem to take a while to come on and be ready.

I have a panasonic flip style video camera so suspect I will have to have a play at getting stills from that. (Although I guess vid might be as interesting)

:)

Something like a used Nikon D40 with the basic 18-55mm could be had on eBay for very little money I'm sure.

You'll get to learn something about photography, and have a camera that can capture far lovelier pictures then pretty much any compact.

Despite a lowly 6MP, you can print at 18"x12" with no trouble at all.

Although that's not something I'd disagree with, Sarah did specify a small camera.

As someone who was into photography back in the days of film, the teeny tiny size of some modern compacts is still astonishing to me.

I now use a fairly high end SLR (Nikon D300), but having previously has a Lumix, I'd give the TZ10 a thumbs up.

Saw it at Focus when it first came out. An amazing box of tricks.

Panasonic TZ-20, video quality is really good.

Hells bells, I hadn't even heard that had come out.

That's the big difference between film and digital, the speed at which things move.

My OH has reminded me of the keyfob size video camera he's got... so I think that wins on basis of being smallest.

(It was about 6 quid on ebay too so probably the cheapest. Not bad pics either!)

Dunno not got that far in my thinking.. We have several digital camera already they just seem to take a while to come on and be ready.

I have a panasonic flip style video camera so suspect I will have to have a play at getting stills from that. (Although I guess vid might be as interesting)

:)

The Nikon s8000 will start almost instantly, guess other cameras available for around 130 to 150 quid will be the same.

Btw, this is the first camera I've bought for 20 years, it tends to put my old Kyocera in the shade somewhat.

Well you've highlighted the achilles heel of digital cameras haven't you i.e. their speed in getting ready to shoot. I don't think they'll beat the old style cameras in this area, not for along while anyway. The best digital cameras are awesome, but be patient waiting for them to switch on ;)

Which is one of the reasons why I still take most of my pictures using the Leica M3 I inherited from my grandpa. No expensive lithium batteries at £10 a set to replace, it's ready to use instantly, rolls of decent ISO400 C41 film can be had from Poundsaver and Tesco will develop the negative and do you a photo CD for £2. So unless you're taking hundreds of photos a month, the consumable costs of using film cameras are not prohibitive, and you've got the advantages of both digital and film: the instant access and flexibility of digital, plus the longevity of film. Should you ever lose the digital files, e.g. through a hard drive crash and/or not being as scrupulous with your backing up as is the ideal, you can simply scan the film again.

Of course the economics of this may well change once film ceases to be manufactured on any significant scale (which, former colleagues in the cinema industry tell me, is likely to happen in 2013-15); but for the moment I'm not interested in digital cameras.

Which is one of the reasons why I still take most of my pictures using the Leica M3 I inherited from my grandpa. No expensive lithium batteries at £10 a set to replace, it's ready to use instantly, rolls of decent ISO400 C41 film can be had from Poundsaver and Tesco will develop the negative and do you a photo CD for £2. So unless you're taking hundreds of photos a month, the consumable costs of using film cameras are not prohibitive, and you've got the advantages of both digital and film: the instant access and flexibility of digital, plus the longevity of film. Should you ever lose the digital files, e.g. through a hard drive crash and/or not being as scrupulous with your backing up as is the ideal, you can simply scan the film again.

Of course the economics of this may well change once film ceases to be manufactured on any significant scale (which, former colleagues in the cinema industry tell me, is likely to happen in 2013-15); but for the moment I'm not interested in digital cameras.

queen_elizabeth_ii_uses_a_leica_camera_680483.jpg

post-11769-0-25475800-1303682466_thumb.j

That's an M7 Her Maj is sporting. Still a very respectable camera, but it's got electronics in it (hence more to go wrong), and doesn't have the amazing clockwork shutter mechanism and German machining of the other components that make the 3 such a beautiful piece of mechanical engineering as a whole.

Interesting to see what appears to be a staged pic of The Queen promoting German technology, though.