House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

30% Of Canadian Can't Afford Cost Of Living

on a 2.5 times joint income plus, say, 50K deposit, get you this place in a nice area close to the financial district - http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10572858&PidKey=624930979. It's not cheap by any means, but it's still a way of the extremes of the UK.

A bit too close to the rail tracks for me ! Agree though that it looks a bit more affordable than the crap in London.

Also handy for the posing palaces on Queen St West...

Edited by Norma Lamont

That sounds high - and I notice that the site referenced there has 'vested interests'.

To quote CBC from 2006:

"The latest census data suggests the average family in the Toronto region has a little less in its wallets than it did the last time Statistics Canada asked people about how much money they make.

New information from the 2006 census released Thursday indicates the median income for families in and around Toronto was $75,829 — a decrease from the 2001 census, when it was $77,693 when adjusted for inflation.

The 2.4 per cent decrease compares to a national increase in income of 3.7 per cent and a provincial increase of 1.4 per cent.

Individuals in the metropolitan Toronto area had a median income of $26,754. Five years earlier, the median income was $28,700."

I guess they must have had an economic miracle in Toronto over the past 5 years? :huh:

Not only that - the rate of condo building in TO has been stratospheric. Always a bad sign (echos of 1991-92).

The difference between the median and the mean obviously makes a difference but, yes, there's been quite a boom here over the last 5 years. Also, it depends one what you mean by 'Toronto'. Average wages across the GTA are clearly going to be lower than the averages within the city proper. Note that I'm not saying people here are all far better off than the UK, that's clearly not the case, just that buying an OK place to live close to work is still a realistic possibility for the bulk of people in employment.

that buying an OK place to live close to work is still a realistic possibility for the bulk of people in employment.

Agreed, I live just outside the GTA. Large cities such as Hamilton, Burlington and K-W are easily accessible, and ftb housing can be bought for around the $120,000 mark here.

I went to Toronto 7 years ago to do a 1 year Visual FX course.

It was the end of December i went and i have never felt cold like this in my entire life minus 10-20 on most days, i was told itll be like this for another 4 months it had already been like it for 2 months i was told.

The natives whilst polite are so boring its untrue, they have no culture of any variety and they dont even have pubs/bars/off licences on every corner like they do in England to drown your sorrows.

Everything you buy is priced without tax then they add something like 10% to everything you buy.

I stuck it out for just over 2 weeks and ive never been so happy to get back to England in my entire life, mid January here felt like the tropics in comparison, even an Indian guy on the plane flying back said he'd never visit the place again.

If i won a VIP trip to Canada id give the prize away, never again under any circumstance will i put my foot in the nation.

Everyone in my office keeps saying they are going to Canada to work, because it has a better quality of life; they can't be wrong...Can they?

I am vastly better off here than I was in the UK, though that's primarily because I transferred most of my money when the pound was over $2.

The real problem here is, unsurprisingly, high house prices propped up by easy credit. Where we live house prices have risen around 50% since 2005, and rents have doubled. The economy is booming due to the commodity boom, but for anyone who didn't buy their house before 2005 most of that boom money is going into rent or mortgage.

And I'd hate to be a twenty-something retail worker in Vancouver, because they have very little chance of ever being able to afford to buy a house.

It was the end of December i went and i have never felt cold like this in my entire life minus 10-20 on most days, i was told itll be like this for another 4 months it had already been like it for 2 months i was told.

Around here we're relieved when the temperature rises to only minus twenty in the winter. My record so far for being outside shoveling snow off the pavement is minus forty-four, or minus fifty-four when you include the wind chill.

My current plan for the next few years is to find something I can do over the Internet that will pay the bills and then move to a cheap place in the country. That is at least an option here, whereas all the cheap places in the country in the UK have been bought up as second homes by the boomers.

6months of minus 10-20 really. Looked at it on the map much further south than London. Are you sure? I went last summer was over 30c everyday would love to live there. There was all kinds of stuff going on. As a city break I highly recommend it. Its also visually a beautiful city

I went to Toronto 7 years ago to do a 1 year Visual FX course.

The natives whilst polite are so boring its untrue, they have no culture of any variety and they dont even have pubs/bars/off licences on every corner like they do in England to drown your sorrows.

Everything you buy is priced without tax then they add something like 10% to everything you buy.

I stuck it out for just over 2 weeks and ive never been so happy to get back to England in my entire life, mid January here felt like the tropics in comparison, even an Indian guy on the plane flying back said he'd never visit the place again.

If i won a VIP trip to Canada id give the prize away, never again under any circumstance will i put my foot in the nation.

6months of minus 10-20 really. Looked at it on the map much further south than London. Are you sure?

The averages for Toronto appear to be well above that, if MSN can be trusted:

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:CAXX0504

I believe we're only just north of London, but that doesn't stop us from getting below minus forty. From what I've read Canadian weather is strongly affected by the Rockies, which blocks the movement of warm air from the Pacific. On the East coast I'd guess they get warm air from the Atlantic and Great Lakes.

6months of minus 10-20 really. Looked at it on the map much further south than London. Are you sure? I went last summer was over 30c everyday would love to live there. There was all kinds of stuff going on. As a city break I highly recommend it. Its also visually a beautiful city

That's an exaggeration for sure. It certainly does get down to -20 but not for months at a time. Last summer the weather was fantastic but people tell me it was unusually warm so I'll wait to see what this year brings. I wouldn't say Toronto is beautiful exactly, but totally agreed that it's a great place to visit with loads of stuff happening.

I only encountered 3 days of minus 20 degrees centigrade or more this winter, and that was first thing in the morning. It subsequently warmed up to minus 15 or so, although wind chill is another matter altogether. Even in the depths of winter you get the odd day in the plus temperatures when the wind draws up from the Gulf of Mexico. Anyway the long hot summers more than compensate in my view.

As for quality of life, I'm also far better off here than in the UK. I earn about the same as in the UK, but my wife doesn't need to work like she did before. Main reason is that price of our house (which is 50% larger than we had in the UK) was half what it would be in the UK.