House Price Crash Forum

Riots Break Out In Bristol After Squat Raided

HOLA441

I understand it just fine, just like I did when I was 18 going on anti Gulf war marches et al.*

He has had a bit of a ruck with the Police, who had concrete blocks thrown at them. He got his skull cracked. Good.

What does he want, the run of Bristol? What would they do with it, have a big Didjeridu and ethnic dancing party? These people are f*cking useless, they would literally starve to death without the constant injection of money from a system they claim to hate.

If you allow squatting, you are allowing violation of property rights and that is the rapidly thickening end if the wedge towardes totalitarianism. Handwringers who think it is all just a terrible shame when the Police are forced to maintain order in the face of extreme provocation are the first to whine when the worthy principles they espouse cause them any inconvenience whatsoever.

* Like them, I was in it for the sex with the lefty girlies. Easy it was, too.

Come on, the squatters were in derelict property the owner had showed no interest in renovating. Found the point on property rights rather amusing. You are right though. My family farm was mainly gained through enclosure. Our property rights counted more than yours (and probably still do heh heh!).

Btw, when did the Gulf War protests ever turn into a ruck with police? I was there covering the earlier ones - never saw a ruck with the police - they were universally peaceful. Even the Irish Republican contingent were well behaved - shouting we support the you know who LOL

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I recall similar disquiet in Morningside, Edinburgh when Safeway got turned into a Morrison's and the olive bar was abolished.

It's a Waitrose now thankfully.

The most radical thing that ever happened in Morningside was the making of a giant haggis at MacSweens LOL

So long as the peasants are kept in their place, Morningside is happy!

HOLA443

What you describe is a financial free-for-all. The reality is that we do not live in such a society. We have planning laws, anti-trust laws, tax laws, industry regulators, government subsidies etc etc that make the commercial and financial playing field anything but flat and fair - and the rules are rigged in favour of corporations, shareholders and financiers at the expense of average taxpayers and the local community.

Hit the nail on the head there.

HOLA444

if you don't want a tesco all you have to do is not shop at it, they close stores that are not profitable.

funny thing is, people tend to like them for some reason.

Yeah.. but it's warm and they had nothing better to do.

I blame the smoking ban myself.. if they'd all been pissed in the pub they wouldn't have batted an eyelid ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446

Tesco shareholders will be petitioning the board of directors. They will demand the huge profits from selling molotov cocktails at Tesco stores.There is obviously a big demand coming...

;):unsure:

Will there be a Finest* range? I guess this would be high octane petrol and a lead crystal bottle.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Will there be a Finest* range? I guess this would be high octane petrol and a lead crystal bottle.

:)

TESCO FINEST RIOT DEAL FOR 2 - £10 @ TESCO – SOON GOING NATIONWIDE

1 Tesco Finest Fire Starter

1 Tesco Finest Maiming Stone Block (doubles as knife sharpener)

1 Tesco Finest Side Arm

1 Bottle of Petrol or Soft Mattress Jacket (wrap around)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

:lol::lol:

Bristol has a nice long history of individual and organised acts of violence and non-confirmist behaviour. Part of the character, certainly integral part of the character of Stokes Croft.

Remember driving down to Cornwall and was running out of petrol so took this turn off into the City - didn't realise till we got to a roundabout that we were in St Pauls (about 12.30 on a Friday night)

Kicked off 22/11

77 posts on youtube

- even the councillor 'flags' himself as a Mason/occultist with "BB"(22)

St Pauls riot occurred in St Pauls, Bristol, England on 2 April 1980 when police raided the Black and White Café on Grosvenor Road in the heart of

besides reference to people who live there (also masonic temple floors Black+Whites)

"Mosaic laws were relaxed after teachings of St Paul"

Pawns getting a beating (on the Chess-board)

HOLA4412

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1303500770' post='2967180]

What I find amazing is that Stokes Croft is a shit hole. The rioters want it to stay that way.

I certainly like to spend time on Gloucester Road instead (quite amazed the Sainsburys Metro appeared almost from nowhere) but (apart from massage parlours, drunks and druggies) can understand the appeal of parts of SC (ie. independent stores). Apart from closeness to town not sure I would want to live nearby.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1303500770' post='2967180]

What I find amazing is that Stokes Croft is a shit hole. The rioters want it to stay that way.

I remember a great run-down, cheap area of Cambridge called the Kite district which was frequented by hippies, Artists and Free Thinking alternatives.

(The authorities harrass & destroy these communities at every opportunity)

You could go to many cheap small cafe/bistro places and get to know the CLOSE-KNIT COMMUNITY.

The Cambridge Mafia destroyed it all with 'redevelopment' and a Shopping Mall (which has never really taken off)

HOLA4415

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13167041

Eyewitnesses said police fought running battles with hundreds of protesters, who dug up cobbles from the road to throw at them.

Police carried out the raid because they feared a nearby Tesco store was to be attacked with petrol bombs.

However, the squat raid led to trouble in nearby streets with bins and skips being set alight.

just aload of the great unwashed and student types ! they could,nt riot if they tried ! listen to the youtube {plum in the mouth types } tescos dont dimish the area ,its a craphole anyway , they think they are wolfy smith but they are doin for a crack . did you see any violence ? no . just there to say " i was there " horseshit twats the lot of em . and they will be tescos tomorrow buying their baccy the *****ers . :ph34r:

HOLA4416

What you describe is a financial free-for-all. The reality is that we do not live in such a society. We have planning laws, anti-trust laws, tax laws, industry regulators, government subsidies etc etc that make the commercial and financial playing field anything but flat and fair - and the rules are rigged in favour of corporations, shareholders and financiers at the expense of average taxpayers and the local community.

Correct! Even though they are making Billions in profits

(all sucked out of your local economy and destroying knowledge/apprenticeships in the related trades lost from closure of individual small 'local' shopkeepers)

Here's how Big Business fiddle things even more to undermine the smaller high street traders and create vast local job losses amongst local communities!

"VAT-free imports from the Channel Islands remained a cottage industry until 1998 when three bright 28-year-olds on Jersey, high-street sportswear retailers Richard Goulding and Simon Perrée and their computer-savvy friend Peter de Bourcier, started selling DVDs to UK mainland customers via Play.com. Envying the success of what is now one of the biggest dotcom businesses, the big boys belatedly waded in: Tesco set up its own web operation called Tesco Jersey; Asda, HMV and others followed. In 2006, the transfer of goods from the UK to Jersey so they could be shipped back VAT-free to the mainland was described by Jersey’s then economic development minister as “a complete sham” and Tesco and others were expelled from the island. The VAT loophole was too lucrative to give up, though: Tesco switched its CD and DVD website to Switzerland before quietly returning to the Channel Islands via an outsourcing fulfilment firm, The Hut Group. In 2008, the VAT loophole trade was worth £110m according to the Treasury; critics allege it is now far higher, with greetings card business Moonpig and computer game retailers thriving offshore."

HOLA4417

just aload of the great unwashed and student types ! they could,nt riot if they tried ! listen to the youtube {plum in the mouth types } tescos dont dimish the area ,its a craphole anyway , they think they are wolfy smith but they are doin for a crack . did you see any violence ? no . just there to say " i was there " horseshit twats the lot of em . and they will be tescos tomorrow buying their baccy the *****ers . :ph34r:

"they think they are W. (Wolfy) Smith but they are doin for a crack"

"W. (Winston) Smith works as a clerk in the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth" :blink:

Both want a revolution 'cos they know their 'Society' is a complete sham (working for big brother/big business!)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

:lol:

You've been reading too much Naomi Klein.

US shoppers have voted with their wallets and told Walmart/Asda to go stick their produce where the sun don't shine.

The whole of the Walmart/Asda top executives were sacked - tiers of them.

They brought in cheaper and crappier chinese products and lower quality foodstuffs and kept charging higher prices for executive short-term greed.

Their customers started a web campaign against Big Business tactics and it spread like wildfire across USA as loads of their former customers, completely 'dumped' them!

Last updated: February 23, 2011 6:46 a.m.

More shoppers avoid Wal-Mart

No. 1 retailer losing traffic to dollar stores

The world's largest retailer failed to reverse an almost two-year slide in a key revenue measure in its fourth quarter, it said Tuesday, after all but promising in November it would do just that.

Outside its aisles, holiday shoppers spent more, and confidence is now at its highest point in three years. Wal-Mart had fewer customers.

Wal-Mart's 1.8 percent decline in revenue at U.S. discount stores open at least a year, its seventh straight quarterly drop, was worse than feared. That important measurement of a retailer's health excludes stores that open or close during the year.

"Wal-Mart's holiday season was lackluster compared to everyone else," said K. Perkins, president of research firm RetailMetrics. "This might be a deeper hole to dig out than (Wal-Mart) had thought."

For the past year, the discounter has seen customers decline as it lost shoppers to rivals like dollar stores for quick trips to buy milk and diapers. Wal-Mart had hoped sweeping changes, from restoring thousands of products it cut and going back to offering low prices across the store, would help sales rise again.

It's now clear there won't be a quick fix.

Now, dollar stores are in the driver's seat. Wal-Mart's CEO Mike Duke said in a recorded conference call Tuesday that it would move forward "with even greater urgency in opening small stores."

So after wiping out thousands of what the yanks called "Mom & Pop Stores" and other competition, out of town warehouse-sized supermarkets are going out of vogue - so the supermarket chains are putting back in 'overpriced' local, smaller shops just to tighten their grip on the market further.

True triffid-like invasion by an alien entity!

HOLA4420

Time to change your signature?

Nope.

Enforcing property rights and upholding contracts are one of the few righteous roles for a State, so the Police going in to sort out shyte like this is no problem as far as I am concerned. They have cost the courts enough already, they lost.

It's always 'soak the rich' with the left. Enforcing property rights is about protecting the likes of Tesco about 0.05% of the time.

Still, not the first time left wing movements have smashed up shops they don't approve of, is it?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Correct! Even though they are making Billions in profits

(all sucked out of your local economy and destroying knowledge/apprenticeships in the related trades lost from closure of individual small 'local' shopkeepers)

Here's how Big Business fiddle things even more to undermine the smaller high street traders and create vast local job losses amongst local communities!

"VAT-free imports from the Channel Islands remained a cottage industry until 1998 when three bright 28-year-olds on Jersey, high-street sportswear retailers Richard Goulding and Simon Perrée and their computer-savvy friend Peter de Bourcier, started selling DVDs to UK mainland customers via Play.com. Envying the success of what is now one of the biggest dotcom businesses, the big boys belatedly waded in: Tesco set up its own web operation called Tesco Jersey; Asda, HMV and others followed. In 2006, the transfer of goods from the UK to Jersey so they could be shipped back VAT-free to the mainland was described by Jersey’s then economic development minister as “a complete sham” and Tesco and others were expelled from the island. The VAT loophole was too lucrative to give up, though: Tesco switched its CD and DVD website to Switzerland before quietly returning to the Channel Islands via an outsourcing fulfilment firm, The Hut Group. In 2008, the VAT loophole trade was worth £110m according to the Treasury; critics allege it is now far higher, with greetings card business Moonpig and computer game retailers thriving offshore."

The VAT loophole doesn't undermine local shops, if people are buying off the internet they are hardly going to say "Oh hang on let wait until tomorrow and pop down the local store to see how much it costs."

The VAT loophole is bust with things like iTunes, Video on demand etc. CDs/DVDs from "Jernsey" is going to be shrinking market. Plus the Tories shrunk the allowance in the last budget.

Andy

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Chap on another forum who delivers to that Tesco has pointed out that it is the only one he delivers to that does not sell alcohol.

There's your reason for the riot right there.

No, I think that one of the main reasons "locals" did not want a Tesco there is because it would be selling alcohol in an area of the city that has been fighting drink related problems for a long time.

ps) not selling alcohol is probably one of the concessions Tesco had to make, but not sure on that.

HOLA4425

The VAT loophole doesn't undermine local shops, if people are buying off the internet they are hardly going to say "Oh hang on let wait until tomorrow and pop down the local store to see how much it costs."

The VAT loophole is bust with things like iTunes, Video on demand etc. CDs/DVDs from "Jernsey" is going to be shrinking market. Plus the Tories shrunk the allowance in the last budget.

Andy

When I first started buying online I never even realised stuff was being reimported to avoid tax/vat by the Big Business companies.

You are right but wrong!

The reason given about why they are closing this particular vat loophole was so that everyone is playing on a level playing field.

If shops suddenly think they are going to get extra profit by raising prices again I will just stop buying the music CD's etc (and so will tens of thousands of others!)

Once thousands of buyers like me get out of the habit of buying one or two a month - it's the death throes for the physical medium.

Archived